Red white blue
    2007 GTM

Question LS1 Mystery: Need solving

I have a crate LS1 with an ASA cam. It is in a race car (road race) (PDG4.com). I have been running a prototype 10-40 Roush Valvoline syn. oil .082 zinc,in it for 2 years without any trouble at all. No longer available, I changed to Valvoline syn, blend of 5-30, 20-50 off road, .120 zinc oil. I am now getting a residue in my catch can that my pit helper says is water and now have a blown head gasket. It is thin like water but greenish like real thin oil. We just finished a 2 hour race and collected about 6 oz. of this liquid. The water level is still about where it is suppose to be. The oil level is correct. The engine never overheats. We are running the same lap times as normal. There is no evidence of water in the oil sump or valve covers. There is no vaporizing from the exhaust. Where or what could this liquid tell me? What does it all mean? Where would I look to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

GTMRACR

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by GTMRACR View Post
    I have a crate LS1 with an ASA cam. It is in a race car (road race) (PDG4.com). I have been running a prototype 10-40 Roush Valvoline syn. oil .082 zinc,in it for 2 years without any trouble at all. No longer available, I changed to Valvoline syn, blend of 5-30, 20-50 off road, .120 zinc oil. I am now getting a residue in my catch can that my pit helper says is water and now have a blown head gasket. It is thin like water but greenish like real thin oil. We just finished a 2 hour race and collected about 6 oz. of this liquid. The water level is still about where it is suppose to be. The oil level is correct. The engine never overheats. We are running the same lap times as normal. There is no evidence of water in the oil sump or valve covers. There is no vaporizing from the exhaust. Where or what could this liquid tell me? What does it all mean? Where would I look to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

GTMRACR
    sounds like antifreeze to me...

Red white blue
    2007 GTM

I don't run antifreeze.
    Should I try a hydrocarbon test to see if it is present in the water? I once had a ls that had a blown HG and it showed up there, but had symptoms of pressure in the header tank and over heating. This on has no symptoms of a gasket going bad. Before I make a move on the motor, I want to know where I am going.

Thanks.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

how long was it sitting before you found it???

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

is this something that has just been happening since the new oil?

Red white blue
    2007 GTM

SPAZ,
    the car came into the pits and we always check the catch tank and I would guess about 5 to 10 minutes after a 2 hour race.

This started happening since I changed the oil to the other Valvoline product. With the 10-40 Roush oil, I had some "OIL" catch, about 1.5 quarts in 25 hour race. We wrote that off as being normal as the rings had not seated yet. When the rings appear to have seated (Oct), we got no oil in the catch can. (2 races) Then the oil change and the first race produced about 4 oz. of fluid and then this last one it was 6-8 oz.

What is the skinny on "Don't use 10-40 in GM motors"?

RM

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Maybe condensation? What does the fluid smell like? If it doesn't smell "fishy" then it isn't coolant. And I doubt it's fuel. If all your fluids are topped off and the car is running strong consistently, then I am going with the condensate hunch.

Red white blue
    2007 GTM

Goat,
    a couple years ago I had condensation from some hoses. changed those out and nothing since then. Don't run coolant, so it is not that in the can. It is thin like water and has a dark oily green tint to it. Pit guys say it is a head gasket but I don't think so. It has to be something else, or............could it be?

Thanks.

Red white blue
    2007 GTM

PDG4.com Here is the car and our team

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Possibly a mix of oil and water blowing past the rings.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Couple of thoughts: You could send an oil sample out for analysis which will tell you what is in it; pressure test the cooling system; perform a compression check on the cylinders and look for any variance; and/or inspect your crankcase ventilation system to ensure that your connections are good and that there is no outside contamination entering it...

Red white blue
    2007 GTM

did the compression test. The plugs were all perfect. the color in the exhaust showed a little rich and concurred with the data. On deceleration, the right bank shows a little more richness according to the data sheet. We physically shot the temps on each cylinder and they are all within 5 degrees. We marked the water level in the header tank and no water was lost. The car ran for about 30 minutes and got to a running temp of 210 degrees. Checked the catch can and had a hint of water deposit but was not mixed with the oil. the crankcase and the valve cover hoses were in perfect order. We wre told at one time to check the top part of the valve covers and they shecked out to be straight oil and no moisture. What next?

GTMRACR

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Couple of thoughts: You could send an oil sample out for analysis which will tell you what is in it; .
    That was my very first thought exactly. Send the oil out for analysis before you start chasing ghosts.

Thread Information