Thread: Ls1 to ls6 swap

pewter
    98 Trans Am

Ls1 to ls6 swap

Hey whats up guys.... I am new to this site and moding my 98 trans am.. so here is so questions maybe you guys could help me out with..

1. I have a LS6 from a CTS-V its getting gutted and making sure everything works good at a machine shop. it s has the z06 cam in it but since the engine is getting torn apart, What is a better cam thats still ca smog-able, steetable, but sounds like rumble to it. thats costing me 3800.00 for the engine swap with out cam

2. is it cheaper to just gut my LS1 and put all new stuff in it or swap out to the ls6, with a better cam??

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Anything wrong with your LS1?

3800 is alot of money for a used LS6, heck I think its alot of money for a new LS6... some will disagree.

If your LS1 is alive and well, buy a pair of 243 LS6 heads and call a reputable cam shop for a smog legal cam. You will come out well under that 3800 dollars your paying for a used LS6.

pewter
    98 Trans Am

Im sorry... I was not complete. 3800 consists of the engine getting gutted taken to machi ne shop, shorty headers labor for pulling out the old engine, putting the new one in, and a tune... Still bad?

The easiest way out would be to leave the LS6 as is and install it, it passes smog the way it is, rated at 405 hp and these crate engines in a 4th gen run low to mid 12's at about 112+ mph with some supporting mods. I guess you are looking for more though.

Getting into camshafts with California smog laws can get tricky. It would have to be pretty tame to start with.

I believe the LS6 is 207/218 and .551 lift on a very wide 117 lsa.

My wifes car passed smog in Florida with a similar Crane cam
    210/218 and .551 lift but with a tighter 112 lsa and faster ramp profiles. I'd say it performs much like the LS6 cam does with a slight edge (maybe) and has a very slight lope to it with the tighter lsa.

I can't recommend something to pass smog, but you could probably go a tad bigger than this and still be okay. If you are really dead set on it, then I would do what Hi-po suggested and get with a reputable cam company or even a good LS shop in California that is used to dealing with this sort of thing. They could better answer your questions. Also there may very well be several guys in Cali that have done this before that might chime in and can give suggestions as to what worked for them.

As far as the shorty headers go, from my experience over there, Cali doesn't allow that either, since it still moves the cats from their original location, (albiet a small amount).

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Don't forget you will need your LS1 Oil pan on the LS6.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

that is one hell of a good price... just make sure the shop isn't pulling a fast one on you... and like smws6ta said, you'll need to reuse your ls1 oil pan... you'll love the power you get from that ls6!!!

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

oh... the only other thing to look at is to get a 99 or up PCM for tuning... and if i remember right 98 ls1's have 26lb injectors and the ls6 has 28lb injectors...

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Spaz, I also have a 98' and am hoping to get an LS6 sometime next year. In regard to the PCM, will a newer PCM still connect to the same wire harness that is in a 98? Or should I ask Frost?

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Spaz, I also have a 98' and am hoping to get an LS6 sometime next year. In regard to the PCM, will a newer PCM still connect to the same wire harness that is in a 98? Or should I ask Frost?
    i'm not sure... i'd ask frost...

NBM
    1998Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    oh... the only other thing to look at is to get a 99 or up PCM for tuning... and if i remember right 98 ls1's have 26lb injectors and the ls6 has 28lb injectors...
    98s have 28.5# injectors and I'm still running my 98 CPU. You shouldn't have to do to much tuning at all. Why spend money on upgrading CPUs when all he has to do is reuse his sensors off his 98? 98s Camaros had the same sensors as the Corvettes and were the only year to have accurate gauges. Your talking some major rewiring to make a 99-2002 CPU work on a 98 Camaro. It isn't plug and play.
    Last edited by PFM; 10-29-2010 at 09:31 AM.
    TSP 347 SB, TSP Stage 2.5 PRC LS6, TSP MS4, Performabuilt Stage 2 4L60E, Yank PT4000, 4.11s, Fast 90/90, FTRA Cold air intake+all the free mods, Dynatech Supermaxx Exaust System, DMH Cutouts, Hooker Catback/FTRA Tips. Tuned by RPM/Garner NC. 11.28@119

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

LS6 = 350-355RWHP
    LS1 = 305-310RWHP

$3500 seems steep for 40RWHP.
    Nothing against the LS6....great motor. Just better ways to make power for that money.
    I would imagine you could get to 385-390RWHP even through Cali's smog shit for about $2200.

pewter
    98 Trans Am

Yeah I was told they were going to use all my old sensors, and CPU.... So hey does the ls6 sound better than a ls1 or basically the same? And my old 98 fuel injectors should still work fine on this ls6 right???

pewter
    98 Trans Am

Mr. Lous---- but my ls1 is tired.. Uses tons of oil.. I've over reved I lime 4 times missing a shift.. Plus all the lame 98 issues... U should hear my piston slap when cold...

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by sickws698 View Post
    Mr. Lous---- but my ls1 is tired.. Uses tons of oil.. I've over reved I lime 4 times missing a shift.. Plus all the lame 98 issues... U should hear my piston slap when cold...

That is most years.

That does change things a bit....but I am sure you could find a bigger cubed motor for that same price if you check. LS2....
    Could probably build a budget 402 for $4500 or so (I know...$1000 more).

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post

That is most years.

That does change things a bit....but I am sure you could find a bigger cubed motor for that same price if you check. LS2....
    Could probably build a budget 402 for $4500 or so (I know...$1000 more).
    then he'll have the install and all that... his price he was quoted includes the install...

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

you dont need a new computer with a gen III motor...gen IVs it is advised..........i personally would swap pcm....it isnt that big of a deal either...just repining ..there are quite a few write ups about it...The 01-02+ pcms are light years ahead of the 98s ...for tuning and such..why not upgrade ? i personally would not go with a complete ls6 unless i got one hell of a deal on it..and even then..it is still a 346 and still a gen 3 ...aka small bore and small displacement. I would go and find your self a nice Gen IV engine and go from there...a ls2 can be had for fairly cheap....in the long run you will be much happier i think....430+ and still being smog legal is a wonderful thing

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

then he'll have the install and all that... his price he was quoted includes the install...
    I know.
    So is my estimate of $4500 and a 402.

Red
    98 Trans Am

98s had the 28lbs injectors

Thread Information