Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

is an ls1 a good starting platform?

i would like to take a poll on how many of you think $$ per HP, an LS1 powered car is or is not the best starting platform.

this was a debate on another thread that i would like to prove that it is.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

oohhh I would say that it is, 6 bolt main, light weight engine, compatible with MANY other GM engines and parts, the list goes on and on

cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss View Post
    oohhh I would say that it is, 6 bolt main, light weight engine, compatible with MANY other GM engines and parts, the list goes on and on
    one for me keep going guys

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 2-bowties&abird View Post
    i would like to take a poll on how many of you think $$ per HP, an LS1 powered car is or is not the best starting platform.

this was a debate on another thread that i would like to prove that it is.
    $$ per hp i'd say yes... i can't think of another motor that is out there right now that has more or better capability than a LS1 or any LSx block for that matter... the LS1 responds to mods extremly well... it gets great gas mileage...

Well I'm old school, but I like the LS series of motors. Here is why I think they have a disadvantage as compared to the original GEN 1 small block.

The biggest disadvantage these motors have right now is that they are still in their infancy. They are being improved upon every year. Part interchangability is changing, not everything is a simple swap over or bolt on.

Thats where the LS series engines suffer. They just haven't been around long enough to become as user friendly yet. I say YET. Eventually they will, and the aftermarket is strong.

One of the other big problems with LS motors is PRICE$$$$$
    Again, the LS motors have not been around long enough to make them economical or affordable. Aftermarket parts are still plenty expensive. They still are not the first choice for engine swaps on street rods and such.

You have to figure the GEN 1 small block has the advantage here simply because it's been around for more than 50 years.
    For 50 years the design went virtually unchanged. Swappability is practically endless,,,,boneyards are flooded with the original small block chevys making prices next to nothing, shucks you can find people giving away gen 1 small blocks all the time. They are everywhere,,,,cheap and easy to find.
    It has been the #1 choice for hotrodders world wide for decades.
    It makes sense, they are plentiful, cheap, and proven to be durable.

As far as HP per dollar, well that is another discussion all together that would take a book.

But as far as I'm concerned, when it comes to pricing, availability, interchangability,,,,,,,the LS motor needs to be around another 30 years,,,,then it would be a contender for a good starting platform.

There ya go,,,a different point of view for you guys to chew on.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 03-13-2008 at 12:57 PM.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Well I'm old school, but I like the LS series of motors. Here is why I think they have a disadvantage as compared to the original GEN 1 small block.

The biggest disadvantage these motors have right now is that they are still in their infancy. They are being improved upon every year. Part interchangability is changing, not everything is a simple swap over or bolt on.

Thats where the LS series engines suffer. They just haven't been around long enough to become as user friendly yet. I say YET. Eventually they will, and the aftermarket is strong.

Again, the LS motors have not been around long enough to make them economical or affordable. Aftermarket parts are still plenty expensive. They still are not the first choice for engine swaps on street rods and such.

You have to figure the GEN 1 small block has the advantage here simply because it's been around for more than 50 years.
    For 50 years the design went virtually unchanged. Swappability is practically endless,,,,boneyards are flooded with the original small block chevys making prices next to nothing, shucks you can find people giving away gen 1 small blocks all the time. They are everywhere,,,,cheap and easy to find.

As far as HP per dollar, well that is another discussion all together that would take a book.

But as far as I'm concerned, when it comes to pricing, availability, interchangability,,,,,,,the LS motor needs to be around another 30 years,,,,then it would be a contender for a good starting platform.
    i dissagree... i got a LS6 crate motor for $4,500... see my sig for my dyno numbers... sorry no time slips yet...) now with the numberts i'm putting down to the rear wheels it will take a fair amount of work on a gen 1 block to come close or equal that...

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    i dissagree... i got a LS6 crate motor for $4,500... see my sig for my dyno numbers... sorry no time slips yet...) now with the numberts i'm putting down to the rear wheels it will take a fair amount of work on a gen 1 block to come close or equal that...
    You missed the entire point of my post.

But if you want to discuss HP,,,,,The HP of the LS6 crate motor is easy to duplicate for the money you spent. They are not that big of a power house in stock form,,,but they are decent.

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

I would consider them one of the better looking better performing cars for the money with a huge affordable aftermarket. But if all you care about is performance there are cheaper faster alternatives. You can drop a high HP crate engine into any old shitbox.

QuickSilverMetallic
    2005 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss View Post

I agree. And unlike Fords, they dont need to be charged to make decent power.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

There ya go,,,a different point of view for you guys to chew on.
    you old farts and your carburetors.
    I think if you get past the electronics side of the engine it would be tough to beat the LS1 pound for pound. The gen 1's have been around 50 years so that's a pretty big head start. Look at what the LSx engines have done in 10. Think what they'll be doing 10 more from now. The lsx block is light, 6 bolt mains, and a pretty rock solid bottom end. The LS1 heads are light years ahead of the gen 1's right out of the box stock for stock. I'm by far not a engine historian and I sure don't have the experience with gen 1 engines like some of you guys do so this is 100% opinion. I just think the lsx is probably the best small block ever invented once you get past the electrical side of it. I see in the future that the plug and play transplants will come a long way and you'll see a bunch of lsx engines being dropped into stuff.
    The gen 1's have their history and it's a good one. I just think they've had 50 years to iron out all of the stuff the lsx is going through now but once you get them in place I think the lsx has the advantage. How many gen 1's are out there making big HP and then driving the car home with the a/c on? Not that there aren't but it's easier to do on a fuel injected car. Just my 2 cents.

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

^good point

White
    2000 Trans AM

Quote Originally Posted by 2-bowties&abird View Post
    is an ls1 a good starting platform?
    Do polar bears shit in Alaska?

RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

$$ per hp i'd say yes... i can't think of another motor that is out there right now that has more or better capability than a LS1 or any LSx block for that matter... the LS1 responds to mods extremly well... it gets great gas mileage...
    What other motor did you have in mind? Just curious.

RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

Quote Originally Posted by jamessr View Post
    I could be an A**hole and give you many different answers but I got ya point.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by SAGGIN View Post
    I could be an A**hole and give you many different answers but I got ya point.
    I thought the same thing. I'm a National Geographic nerd.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by SAGGIN View Post
    What other motor did you have in mind? Just curious.
    I think you misread that. He said he can't think of anothet motor.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by jamessr View Post
    hahhahahahaaha

White
    2000 Trans AM

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I thought the same thing. I'm a National Geographic nerd.

hmmm
    http://www.fws.gov/home/feature/2006/PolarbearFAQ.pdf

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

You missed the entire point of my post.
    i skim read... sorry about that...

But if you want to discuss HP,,,,,The HP of the LS6 crate motor is easy to duplicate for the money you spent. They are not that big of a power house in stock form,,,but they are decent.
    ah... yeah... but a after a a few mods it gets herder and more costly to try and keep up...

i skim read... sorry about that...

ah... yeah... but a after a a few mods it gets herder and more costly to try and keep up...
    No biggy, I just wanted to throw out a different point of view, something to ponder.
    I like the LS motors, with 15 and even 12 degree cylinder heads the power potential is awsome. That is there entire advantage right there.
    Hard to compare it to other platforms that have to battle with 23 degree heads. You can use 18 degree heads on the gen 1 but it ups the cost quite a bit with valvetrain pieces and intake.

So the HP battle would be a tough discussion, sooooo many variables. Cost also varies since some people have different resources changing the cost of things considerably.

With that said, I took a different approach with a slight twist to the original question. As far as platforms,,,,well it didn't say you had to start with a 4th gen that already had the LS1 installed,,,,,,right???

When I read that question the first thing that popped into my head is a hotrodder that has (for instance) a Nova or chevelle,,,,and was looking for a drivetrain to build. The choices in "Platforms" are practically endless.

The LS1 may not be the most cost effective in this case, since swapping parts is difficult, not everything crosses over from one year to the next, different reluctor rings on the cranks were changed in 04-05 so computers are different, wiring harnesses are vary different. Timing covers changed, sensors were moved around etc.....
    The new L92 heads are a popular choice now, but don't fit the small bore LS1, intakes are different here as well. You have to have an LS specific transmission bell housing since the bolt pattern changed, torque converters, flywheels etc.... It's these things and more that makes them difficult to start from scratch, you really have to do your homework and in the end you spend quite a bit of money$$$$
    Finding a wrecked Fbody would be a good alternative. But finding wrecked cars aren't easy yet. Not many in the bone yards to pick from, still too young. These engines, cars etc.....need to be around a few more years, more and more people will start to get comfortable with them.

Thats the kind of things my twisted mind was thinking

Thread Information