Thread: Ls1 build

Ls1 build

Ok guys need a little help here and hope u all can help.. I've got a 1998 SS Camaro. Got the car really cheap so was thinking of building a toy.. Started ordering parts. So far I've got long tube headers, Brian tooley stage 4 cam, a set of ported 243 heads also got an ls6 intake on its way.. I know I'm going need a tune afterward but live here in kentucky and have no idea who to take it to?? And is there anything I'm missing before I tear into it?? Plans for engine is run it until it goes then get an iron block 6.0 and 30 over it with striker kit. But until then I'm going run the 5.7. Thanks guys in advance for the help..

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

We all highly recommend Steve Williams of "Tuned by Frost". I believe he is in Richmond, VA now and he does do some traveling to tune cars at different shops.

Don't forget to build or upgrade your suspension, transmission and rear (replace it with something stronger) if you are going to throw down some power.

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    We all highly recommend Steve Williams of "Tuned by Frost". I believe he is in Richmond, VA now and he does do some traveling to tune cars at different shops.

Don't forget to build or upgrade your suspension, transmission and rear (replace it with something stronger) if you are going to throw down some power.

I've heard a lot about that frosty tune may have to look him up.. On the trans and rearend I figured I'd have to build them as I go.. I'm work with the 4s auto trans. Does anyone know of someone close to kentucky that builds a good trans to hold HP? Rearend I guess I'll just have to see how it goes or when it goes.. Seen ford 9in set up for these cars.. Anyone have any dealings with them?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

The 460 is only going to hold up to so much. Most guys I know that are in the Mexico Racing League drop it and run either built Turbo 350 or 700R4.

Rear ends - you have a lot of options. 9" work great for manual cars, 12 bolts work well with auto's. I also know of S60's and now 8.8 rears. I have a 8.8 that I made. When I started it 3 yrs ago there were none sold, now Hawks3rdGen sells them.

9" is for the serious person. It's ability to swap out gear sets easy makes it very appealing for track guys. However it also has the most parasitic drive train lost between them all. The rest I suggested are very similar.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I run a Performabuilt Pro Race Level II in our car - built right here in PA.

Here's a thread on our trans being built (lots of pics): http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/perform...d-pics-153471/

Thread Information