black
    1999 Trans Am WS6

LS-1 lagging and throwing codes

On acceleration up to about 3k rpm there is a definite lack of power, after about 3200 rpm the power will kick in. On a hard run tonight the service engine soon light came on, I checked it with my Actron 9580, and it was p0137 and p0157. This is the second time these codes have appeared, indicating a problem at the rear o2 sensors. I have cleaned the MAF twice, new plugs and wires, new fuel filter, and new PCV valve, plus all new vacuum lines for the PCV system. I checked the fuel pressure, it holds at 56psi up to about 5k rpm. Could this have something to do with the secondary air/ EGR system? I'm running out of ideas.

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

Have you cleaned / replaced the o2's?

black
    1999 Trans Am WS6

I don't think replacing the rear o2's will do anything to correct the lagging problem. They are reporting a problem, I can't see how they are causing it, but I may be wrong. Another thing to note, when I let up on the throttle I am getting mild-moderate backfiring.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Can you see live sensor data with your scanner? Sounds like you have a fueling issue that is either caused by the MAF misreporting airflow, the front O2 senders not working properly, or a vacuum leak. I would check the front O2 senders to see if they are operating correctly. A good sensor should rapidly cycle up and down from about 150 mV to 850 mv. The rear O2 senders simply tell the PCM if the cats are working correctly - they have nothing to do with how your engine runs.

black
    1999 Trans Am WS6

I tried to figure out how to monitor the o2 sensors with the Actron tonight without much luck. Its been a long week at work, and I have all day tomorrow to try and get some readings of the o2 sensors.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

In addition to your O2 sensor data - take a look at your fuel trims. Ideally, the trims should hover around zero, plus or minus 3 or so. If the trims are running high, the PCM is adding fuel. Negative trims depict a subtraction of fuel. There are both short term fuel trims (STFT) and long term fuel trims (LTFT). I accidentally crossed up my O2 sensors after some work on our car (they are the 13111's with the really long harness) and our car immediately went to +25 on one side and -25 on the other... ooops.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Could be a long shot, but maybe your cats are beginning to go bad. They may be falling apart inside causing a clogged up exhaust system. If the car cant get the exhaust out, it will fall on its face. Besides seeing them glow from excessive heat, or having a buddy give it some gas and checking exhaust flow out the muffler, you can disconnect the exhaust from just before the cats (kinda of a pita, btw) and see if power returns. I've had clogged up cats cause a car to not even start.

black
    1999 Trans Am WS6

First thing I tried this afternoon was unplugging the MAF and see what happens. Its got tons of power and no backfiring now. I had cleaned the MAF twice previously and the lack of power went away briefly, but returned soon after. Have I found the problem? I was going to send the PCM to Frost for a tune, would this be a good time to delete the MAF for the speed density option, or replace the MAF with a stock unit? I have to pass emissions here in New York. Sorry if I'm a little clueless, still pretty new at this, and learning as I go.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Can you borrow a MAF sensor from a friend's car? If not, a stock replacement from GM Parts Direct is the way to go. It'll have a plastic body and an adapter harness.

black
    1999 Trans Am WS6

I bought a remanufactured OEM unit at the parts store this afternoon, and put it in this evening. Just got back from a 20 mile run-WOW! Tons of power, smoother starts, no backfiring, what a difference. Thanks a million guys!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Good to hear! It's odd how the MAF can fail and the PCM will toss codes for other stuff.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Glad to hear you solved the problem and it was a fairly cheap fix and easy fix.

Thread Information