Thread: LQ9 help

LQ9 help

im thinking about getting a lq9 or an lm7
    i dont really know the pros and cons of each. this will be going into a 240sx.
    with a 6 speed. how do these engines compare to the ls2.
    id like to make similar power. i really dont wanna break band with the cost of an ls2 so what can be done to the lq9 or lm7 to get it to be as comparible.
    are these engines iron blocks and what do the weigh. are there any oem upgrades from other engines?

Red
    01 ECSB Z71 & 89 Iroc-Z

Quote Originally Posted by thegatekeeper14 View Post
    im thinking about getting a lq9 or an lm7
    i dont really know the pros and cons of each. this will be going into a 240sx.
    with a 6 speed. how do these engines compare to the ls2.
    id like to make similar power. i really dont wanna break band with the cost of an ls2 so what can be done to the lq9 or lm7 to get it to be as comparible.
    are these engines iron blocks and what do the weigh. are there any oem upgrades from other engines?
    The LQ9 specs are 345 hp and 380 ft·lb. It's an iron block, aluminum head motor so it's gonna weigh more than the LS2 but i don't know the exact weight of it. It's basically a bored out version of the 5.3L Vortec but with higher compression flat-top pistons. It's still a Gen III small block so they do make performance parts for it. A cam and heads and maybe a tune should get you up there in the LS2 range, maybe more.

As for the LM7... I would go with the L33 before that. It's basically the H.O. version of the LM7 and it has an aluminum block that the LM7 does not. Again, it is still a Gen III sb so just a couple performance parts (cam, heads, tune, exhaust) should put you up in the LS2 range.

Red
    01 ECSB Z71 & 89 Iroc-Z

Oh and the LM7 made 280 hp and 335 ft-lb and the L33 made 295 hp and 345 ft-lb

Thread Information