white
    2000 trans am

LQ9 is bolted in

LQ9 80,xxx mile, finally got it bolted in. Damn sure make you apreciate your home town mechenic. I still think that the long tube headers made it the bellhousing bolts easer to get to. The car [2000 trans am] [12.8x] has other boltons but the most important one that any ls1 owner must not forget is the transmission dip stick because no matter what the fu@# you do it wont go back in the fu#@$ng car unless you remove the fu@#$ng engine or transmission. Dont forget the transmission dip stick. So I called RevMax converters in Arizona and order a 3500 converter. Then I for the rest for a custom cam from CamMotion 230/238 560/595 115 stock ls1 intake manifold.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Mind me asking why you went with a stock LQ9?? At least without changing up some stuff?
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

white
    2000 trans am

LQ9 is a flat top motor with 317 head castings witch are the same as LS6, only slighty larger bore [ 4.00], iron block and rated to 700 hp from GM. Different barings and machine work were in the makings butwill be but Im broke. So the 6.0 goes in with my stock LS1 intake, ported throttle body, and a few other goodies that are already there. A lot of people have made good torque with a 5.7. A 6.0 with 317, springs, push rods, and a good cam should bring my trans am to low 12's maybe high 11's what ya think
    Last edited by squirlnutz; 02-14-2010 at 05:49 PM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Did you take any fu#@$ng pictures of the swap?

white
    2000 trans am

Yes lots. And about to take some more when the converter gets here, just knot sure how to download them all yet, but yes I have a lot

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by squirlnutz View Post
    Yes lots. And about to take some more when the converter gets here, just knot sure how to download them all yet, but yes I have a lot
    Open a free account at http://www.photobucket.com and upload your photos to that site. Then simply copy and paste the [IMG] code that will appear beneath the uploaded pic into your post on here. Looking forward to pics.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

LQ9 is a flat top motor with 317 head castings witch are the same as LS6, only slighty larger bore [ 4.00], iron block and rated to 700 hp from GM. Different barings and machine work were in the makings butwill be but Im broke. So the 6.0 goes in with my stock LS1 intake, ported throttle body, and a few other goodies that are already there. A lot of people have made good torque with a 5.7. A 6.0 with 317, springs, push rods, and a good cam should bring my trans am to low 12's maybe high 11's what ya think
    I am quite familiar with the LQ9.
    I have a fully built one in my car.

Just not sure I would put a stock one in an F-Body. The iron block adds a decent amount of weight (80 pounds). The aluminum block can handle just about anything.

white
    2000 trans am

Last edited by squirlnutz; 02-14-2010 at 08:05 PM.

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

out through the top huh. what made you decided to do it that way. i think out the bottom is much easier. hope you had fun

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Wow. Thanks for sharing pics of the project. I left you a message in Photobucket.

white
    2000 trans am

Not to bad taking the engine out the top. The hard part was puting the new one in. And the bellhousing bolt, driver side, top-middle, beside the brake booster. I bought a 13mm swivle head GearWrench and crawled on top of the valley cover and it came right out. Although I wish I had a lift and some other tools I would have liked to take it out the top.
    Last edited by squirlnutz; 02-16-2010 at 04:38 AM.

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Not to bad taking the engine out the top. The hard part was puting the new one in. And the bellhousing bolt, driver side, top-middle, beside the brake booster. I bought a 13mm swivle head GearWrench and crawled on top of the valley cover and it came right out. Although I wish I had a lift and some other tools I would have liked to take it out the top.
    But you did take it out of the top.... Did you mean the bottom? You dont need a lift for that. it would be nice, but its not necessary.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

I'd like to do a larger cube motor but funds are lacking.

I will state that I've already gone 12.5x @ 107+ with just a converter and bolt ons (+MT DR's). The LS1 long block is the original to the car. A friend of mine is at 11.7x with just a cam and higher stall than I have. Both cars are very streetable.

white
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Crash View Post
    But you did take it out of the top.... Did you mean the bottom? You dont need a lift for that. it would be nice, but its not necessary.

Click for full size
    Yes I took engine out the top. But the bottom is how it was supposed to come out according to GM.
    Last edited by squirlnutz; 02-16-2010 at 02:00 PM.

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

Nice looking car! Props for doing the engine swap in the garage. I've done it in some older cars and do not plan on doing it again especially in modern car designed to come out the bottom!

Slow Passenger Window - Want Passenger Express Down - Tired of Replacing DayTime Running Light Bulbs

Camaro Owners Click Here
    Firebird Owners Click Here

Need instructions to replace your F-Body window motor?
    www.AutoTrix.net

Thread Information