Thread: LQ4 swap

LQ4 swap

I have a 1998 t-56 z/28. Found a great deal on low miles 2002 lq4. My understanding is that this will a simple drop in swap? It will run off my computer? No issues with the t-56? motor mounts?

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

For the most part it's a direct swap. All the fbody accessories swap over as well as the oil pan. Also the upper alternator bolt will need to be drilled and tapped.

I see. Cant run the lq4 accessories? I cant stand the ls1 accessory set up, I am having an issue keeping power steering fluid out of my alternator lol. Plan on doing a/c delete as well.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

A fellow member is doing a lq4 swap and relocated the alternator using an aftermarket bracket.
    You can find more information on his build here

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/
    The bracket is shown on page 11

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    A fellow member is doing a lq4 swap and relocated the alternator using an aftermarket bracket.
    You can find more information on his build here

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/
    The bracket is shown on page 11

Give me a day or two and I'll have a sticky addressing this.

LQ4 swap

Oh I see, but don't lq4's have a top mounted alt from the factory? I assumed that's what people would go with, but I see if you are starting with a short block it would make since to just use the ls1 stuff you already have. I'm looking for more of a "drop in replacement" then a full build right now. Is there any reason I couldn't just keep the lq4 accessories for my swap?

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Water pump and intake need to be swapped as well as the power steering. To be honest i'm not sure on the truck alternator bracket. Any reason you want to swap in the first place? Stock iron 6.0 over an aluminum 5.7 isn't exactly worth the hassle if you ask me.

LQ4 swap

Thanks for the info. My ls1 is pushing 130k. I'm swapping just to get me threw the summer then next winter I can rebuild the ls1 or build the 6.0. Still haven't decided yet.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

130K really isn't that many miles. Assuming something is wrong with it?
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

LQ4 swap

The piston slap has got pretty ridiculous on cold start. I know I shouldn't be to concerned but it just makes me nervous. The car has been autocrossed and raced for a couple years now. I want something fresh to do a head cam bolt on build with down the road. Being on a budget a low miles 6.0 makes sense . I have to ask myself is it worth the $ to rebuild the ls1? Buy time I'm done I could probably have a head cam set up done and over with on the 6.0

Iron 6.0 is the way to go, takes large overbores during rebuild time. LS1 is stingy in that department and in most cases anything with 100k miles or more need sleeved which renders them useless.

Can't use the truck accessories in a 4th gen. They are mounted high, and the tall truck style intake is the only thing that clears that stuff. None of that would fit under the hood of a 4th gen.

Not sure why you would have problems with PS fluid on the alternator anyway. Sounds like you either overfilled or you have a different issue that needs addressed. 17 years with 4th gens here and never heard or had this issue before. If it were me I'd leave it as is, or you'll open a new can of worms. Alot of that aftermarket relocation crap is just that,,,,crap. You get slight misalignment and you'll live with belt chirping and squeaking for the rest of your days, driving you nuts trying to tweak and move things even just a 1/16". Been down that road with a few retro swaps already. These surpentine belt systems are not forgiving at all when it comes to alignment. Stick with the OEM stuff and you'll be much happier.

Thanks for the advice and info Jones. I'm going to commit to this swap pretty soon.

Thread Information