Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Silver
    2000 TA LS1 A4w/ShiftKit

Low Voltage @ Idle with A/C on

When I am sittn in traffic or at a stop light with the A/C on the voltage drops pretty low. But any other time it is fine. What could possibly be the problem ?

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Your fans coming on are a big drain. If you watch, you'll see when they go off, the voltage goes back up.
    It all depends on how low whether or not something is wrong.

black 01 red 73
    01 z28 and 73 z28

a lot of voltage is used to pull the clutch in on the compressor also the blower motor, cooling fans (as stated) etc . as long as your not in the red it OK

Silver
    2000 TA LS1 A4w/ShiftKit

Quote Originally Posted by twozs View Post
    a lot of voltage is used to pull the clutch in on the compressor also the blower motor, cooling fans (as stated) etc . as long as your not in the red it OK
    I checked it out today and the gauge is jus starting to get into the red. But when I rev the motor it jumps up out of the red but at idle it will pull down to the red. Is this something I should b concerned about ?

black
    02 vette vert

Quote Originally Posted by CobraKilla View Post
    I checked it out today and the gauge is jus starting to get into the red. But when I rev the motor it jumps up out of the red but at idle it will pull down to the red. Is this something I should b concerned about ?
    what rpms are you showing in gear when volts are low? may be just a low idle speed, mine never goes below 13 volts in those conditions, if it even gets down to 13. and yes you should worry about it, anything below 12.5 and your electric accessories are draining your battery.
    Last edited by dklowrider; 08-14-2009 at 06:34 PM.

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

Do you have underdrive pulleys? And check the grounds make sure they have a good connections

Silver
    2000 TA LS1 A4w/ShiftKit

Quote Originally Posted by zmg00camaross View Post
    Do you have underdrive pulleys? And check the grounds make sure they have a good connections

No underdrive pulleys. What grounds should I be checking ?

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

All the grounds,one from the battery to the engine block, just saying I always go easy stuff first, and makeing sure the electrcal system is in good working order. Cables and connections, no voltage drops that are excessive, the simple stuff that haunts you later.

Silver
    2000 TA LS1 A4w/ShiftKit

I believe I am having some ground issues somewhere. My turnsignals/parking lights are being weird. The left doesnt work when the car is started and the right is really bright until I turn on the parking lights then the left comes on dim and the right super bright. My left front turnsignal is not working at all and when I turn on the headlights both parking lights come on about normal. When I click the keyless entry both parking lights flash the normal brightness. I checked the grounds on the radiator brace as some1 on here told me to do but still no luck.

red
    2002 ss camaro

if your blinker is bright on one side and the other does not work that should be a bulb issue. I have a racetronics fuel pump harness and I see a major voltage drop with both fans on. checking it this week to see if it is too significant.

Silver
    2000 TA LS1 A4w/ShiftKit

Quote Originally Posted by knappbunch View Post
    if your blinker is bright on one side and the other does not work that should be a bulb issue. I have a racetronics fuel pump harness and I see a major voltage drop with both fans on. checking it this week to see if it is too significant.
    But if it was a bulb issue would it still flash as normal when I lock the doors with the keyless entry and come on when I turn the headlights on ?

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Yes, the bulbs are dual filament. The turn signal runs on the bright filament, the DRL's run on the less bright. The flash is from the less bright filament.

Don't use GE bulbs.....use only Sylvania.....The # is 3157K. Side markers are #194
    Last edited by rbob93; 08-18-2009 at 08:35 AM.

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

What's your engine idle rpm with the AC on, and is it the same as when it's off?

Silver
    2000 TA LS1 A4w/ShiftKit

Quote Originally Posted by rbob93 View Post
    Yes, the bulbs are dual filament. The turn signal runs on the bright filament, the DRL's run on the less bright. The flash is from the less bright filament.

Don't use GE bulbs.....use only Sylvania.....The # is 3157K. Side markers are #194
    Wow I feel like such a jackass. Thanks for the help. I had mentioned something in a earlier thread about a dual filament and I was told it was a ground issue. Still no excuse not to check the easiest thing first such as a bulb. Thanks again.

Silver
    2000 TA LS1 A4w/ShiftKit

Quote Originally Posted by Blue28 View Post
    What's your engine idle rpm with the AC on, and is it the same as when it's off?

I am going to take her out for a lil spin right now. I will check the RPM's both ways AC on idle and AC off idle. I will let u know.

Seen optima batteries have a $25 mail in rebate here in Michigan. Jus a lil FYI for ya guys. I dont know peoples takes on Optima batteries but here they are supposed to be the best.

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by CobraKilla View Post
    I am going to take her out for a lil spin right now. I will check the RPM's both ways AC on idle and AC off idle. I will let u know.

Seen optima batteries have a $25 mail in rebate here in Michigan. Jus a lil FYI for ya guys. I dont know peoples takes on Optima batteries but here they are supposed to be the best.
    I've got a Optima yellow top in my car, no complaints here!

Silver
    2000 TA LS1 A4w/ShiftKit

Engine idle RPM with AC on is 550-600. With AC off idle RPM is dead nuts at 500 RPM's.

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Lightbulb

IMO, that's to low.
    Did you have it tuned to have the idle that low or did you use a hand programmer?

I would have the idle bumped up to around 650-700rpm, I run mine at 850rpm with the AC on, and 800rpm with the AC off.
    Last edited by Blue28; 08-19-2009 at 08:44 AM.

Silver
    2000 TA LS1 A4w/ShiftKit

IMO, that's to low.
    Did you have it tuned to have the idle that low or did you use a hand programmer?

I would have the idle bumped up to around 650-700rpm, I run mine at 850rpm with the AC on, and 800rpm with the AC off.
    I dont believe it has ever been tuned. I do have a handheld programmer. But there is no option for idle settings it is a older tuner.

black
    02 vette vert

Quote Originally Posted by rbob93 View Post

DRL's are the brighter turnsignal filament.

Thread Information