Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Low Oil Pressure

First of all, I'd like to thank everyone that has helped answer my previous "noobie" questions. This site and its members are extremely helpful.

Here's another question. Looking at a '00 a4 TA bone stock with 113,000 miles. While driving it, I noticed the oil pressure gauge never climbed above 20lbs, even when I would punch it and get to 55+mph. Runs good sounds good. Drives fine. Shifts smooth.

That's the only thing that concerns me. Any thoughts, suggestions as to the culprit and remedy?

Thanks in advance.
    [<a href=http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn249/brotrippin/null-28.jpg target=_blank>http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/n...in/null-28.jpg</a>/SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Check the OPSU to see if it's cracked/leaking. That's my thought. Check the harness to the OPSU as well.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Check the OPSU to see if it's cracked/leaking. That's my thought.
    That's located at the rear of the engine, correct? Like, under the dash right?

Thank you.

Any more suggestions are welcome.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Could really old oil cause this? I would check for leaks and smoking out the exhaust as well.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by My Slow Camaro View Post
    That's located at the rear of the engine, correct? Like, under the dash right?

Thank you.

Any more suggestions are welcome.
    Yes sir.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    Could really old oil cause this? I would check for leaks and smoking out the exhaust as well.
    Dont know about bad oil causing it..??Anyone else chime in regarding that possibility??

Regarding the possible exhaust leak, I had my dad stand behind the car when I started it and at initial start up no smoke came out the exhaust. I let it run for a couple minutes then shut it off and restarted it.

When I restarted it my dad saw a little blue smoke coming out of the drivers side exhaust tip. Not much he said, but it was visible.

Let it run for a few more minutes and it quit.

Started it again and no smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Yes sir.
    Thanks.

More replies and suggestions are welcome.

Thank you guys.

I've been out of an fbody for over a year and am really itching to get into another one.

I like this one but don't want to buy it if I'm automatically going to have to sink alot of money into it.

Black
    99 SS clone M6

oil pressure at minimum should be 20 psi i think according to the owners manual.(i think it said 5 psi in my owners manual!?) you could be seeing a few issues, one is a faulty gauge, second is the oil pressure sensor is going bad, third is the car might be waaay low on oil, fourth is someone used like 5w20 or ow20 wieght in that thing, hence the low oil pressure. like 0w20 synthetic would make oil pressure low. and yea really crappy old oil with the level really low could do that especially if someone put a lot off additives in the oil that diluted it, like Marvel Mystery Oil treatment or the like. ive never heard of oil pressure that low, except in drag cars that run really light oil for less drag in the motor.
    I would check the oil, make them CHANGE THE OIL AND FILTER then if it still reads the same it may be the gauge or sending unit.
    the gauge should move obviously. read higher when cold then lower when hot. at least 30 psi should be ok at idle depending on the weight of the oil
    you should definitly pull the dipstick, smell that oil and make sure its not DILUTED WITH GAS or something else. make sure its clean too (duh i know)

btw, how much do they want for the car? no check engine lights on or anything??
    Last edited by DaytonaBlues; 06-02-2013 at 11:17 AM.
    99 z28 m6 ss clone
    79 Z28 (fast as Fu*k) thanks rich
    SLP Loudmouth, Founder's LCA's, BMR APHRD, Tranzilla T56, Exedy clutch SLP Lid FTRA Powerslot rotors 'brock strut brace, SS wheels and SS hood, hurst, 1LE bars, Energy bushs, EBC's
    past: 95 T/A, 78 Z28, 98 Z28, 86 Z28, 00 GSXR 600

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

I've never had much faith in the stock OPSU. I've seen oil pressure jump more than 10 psi between different senders. My stock is about 5 psi higher than my autometer but that could just be the second senders location. You could pick up an pressure tester with the correct fitting and replace the stock one to see if it's any higher

Black
    99 SS clone M6

hey tater, where is the spot where you tapped into for the autometer?

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Right above the oil filter

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

You should be using Mobil 1 oil every 5k with a quality (K&N) oil filter. Check your oil level every other fillup. Change the OPSU it is probally fouled with nasty old oil. I follow these rules and my 02 SS never, ever goes below 50 psi good maintenance is a must for long engine life and performance.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Black
    99 SS clone M6

where is the factory OPSU? and i guess there is that threaded hole thing covered buy a plate with two bolts above the oil filter two, which i assume is just an auxillary tap for a oil cooler line or something. my oil pressure gauge jumps around a bit and sometimes gets to 80 psi when its cold outside. im wondering how hard it is to change or clean the factory OPSU

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by DaytonaBlues View Post
    where is the factory OPSU? and i guess there is that threaded hole thing covered buy a plate with two bolts above the oil filter two, which i assume is just an auxillary tap for a oil cooler line or something. my oil pressure gauge jumps around a bit and sometimes gets to 80 psi when its cold outside. im wondering how hard it is to change or clean the factory OPSU
    I believe it is on the back of the block behind the intake manifold. I have heard that it is not an easy job. You may want to try you local mechanic.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I haven't changed mine yet, but I have taken my intake out too many times. Once you have the intake out, the OPSU is pretty easy to access. I think it took me a couple hours to take my intake out the first time. Now, half hour easy. Wear longsleeved shirt. Those little plastic tabs that hold down the cowl cover are extremely sharp. And, you really don't have to put all the coil bracket bolts back in....

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't changed mine yet, but I have taken my intake out too many times. Once you have the intake out, the OPSU is pretty easy to access. I think it took me a couple hours to take my intake out the first time. Now, half hour easy. Wear longsleeved shirt. Those little plastic tabs that hold down the cowl cover are extremely sharp. And, you really don't have to put all the coil bracket bolts back in....

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by DaytonaBlues View Post
    btw, how much do they want for the car? no check engine lights on or anything??
    Asking $6999. Got her down to $6300 as is but she won't budge even though its got a few issues. Offered her $5k and she wouldn't take it.

Her loss.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    I believe it is on the back of the block behind the intake manifold. I have heard that it is not an easy job. You may want to try you local mechanic.
    Agreed.

It's a pain in the ass. Best bet is to take it to a trustworthy mechanic.

I had to have mine replaced on my old Z.

Thread Information