White
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Low coolant light?????

Ok, I have 98 TA bone stock. About 3 months ago my low coolant light came on and then it went off for a week. Well I kinda brushed it off and then my water pump went bad a week later. Ok, so i took it to the shop and they put a new water pump, upper and lower hoses, new thermostat, and of course new coolant filled to the top. After that it has run perfect no problems what so ever. The water temp is good and doesnt get to hot. Well, today about 3 1/2 months after the water pump work, I drove it and it ran good and the water temp was good but the low coolant light came on?? That was the first time it came on since the old water pump went bad. I checked the water after it cooled and it was completly full. So what would cause this to show up now. Its been hot the last few months, but it was extra hot today seemed like. Also there is no signs of any water leaking anywhere. Need help please!!!! thanks

Black
    2000 WS6

I would remove the low coolant sensor, clean it and re-insert it, then reset the code. If the code should light back up, it could be a bad sensor.

The sensors do go bad once in a while - most people just disconnect it and tie it off - light will stay off. Later cars (2K? and up) don't even have one, I know mine doesn't.

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Your owner's manual tells you how to turn the light off, but, once they go bad, the light usually comes back on. Like was said ... unplug it and all your problems are over. It's located on the passenger side of the radiator on the rear ... near the top.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

If the light goes off when disconnected-then it'll be a bad sensor and not a wiring problem. They can't cost that much-why not just replace it? It might save your motor some day.

Think they're about $55 GM list - disconnecting the sensor will keep the light off, regardless if the sensor is good or not. Don't have one, don't need one.

Red
    1999 Trans Am

GM did away with it on the 01-02 models. Didn't see any sense in spending money on something GM didn't see any sense in spending money on. Unplug it and use a dummy plug to seal up the connector. If you check/maintain your car's fluid levels, why would you need a low-coolant indicator? You have a gauge which will let you know if the motor starts getting hot.

Silver
    1998-Camaro SS

Low Coolant Light

It sounds like you need to replace the sensor. This happened to me and the sensor was replaced at the dealer. It was still under warranty at the time.

Scott

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Why? If you spring a leak this will give you a possible early warning-before you overheat the engine. If you don't want it working then for the love of gawd disconnect it and move on with your life-jeez............Some people like to keep their car repaired and have everything working,instead of throwing away everything they don't understand how to fix.

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Do what you're comfortable with. If you have extra money and nothing to do with it, replace it. If not, unplug it. Springing a leak ... you're gonna' know about before the water gets low enough for the sensor to detect it. Different story if you have an internal leak/blown head gasket where the engine evaporates the water as it leaks. In a similar case, you might want to replace the sensor. Personally, I'd unplug it and end my worries.

Thread Information