pewter
    '02 Camaro SS

low coolant light??

The light for low coolant (at least I think that's the one, it looks like a picture of the radiator with an arrow pointing down) keeps coming on, and I'm not sure why. I just had the radiator flushed and filled 2 days ago. The light comes on when I make a cold start, but then if I drive it for about half a minute and turn the engine off and on, it shuts off. Any ideas what this could be? Is it a fuse or is there a sensor in the radiator? Any help is appreciated, thanks!!!

Black
    2000 WS6

Could be your coolant sensor. Remove it, clean it (alcohol works good) then insert it.
    If that does not work, then you will need to replace it.

pewter
    '02 Camaro SS

Thanks for your help! Not to sound like a guy who doesn't know much about the inner workings of his car (I guess this proves I really don't), but is the sensor for the coolant level the same one as the sensor for the coolant temperature? I've scoured my repair manual and that's all I can find. .
    Build #2300, "Alyssa"- SLP cold air & box lid, K&N filter, Meziere electric water pump, GMS MAF sensor, SLP dual/dual CME, Magnaflow muffler, Diablosport Predator II, GMS subframe connectors & lower control arms, Hotchkis adj panhard rod, 1LE swaybars, 4:11 rear end

Navy Blue Metalic
    1999 Z28 Convertible

Where is the Coolant sensor?

I have the opposite problem. The low coolant light comes on after driving awhile, but the overflow container is full. It does not corespond to the engine reaching operating temperature. I flushed the system just in case but that did not seem to help.

Where is the coolant sensor and how do you remove it?

1999 Camaro SS #24
    98 Corvette-99 Camaro SS

On an LS1 the coolant sensor is on the rear of the radiator about halfway down on the driver side I believe, (could be passengers it's been a while) Regardless of side it will be pretty close to the outer edge. Unless you really want to spend the time cleaning it or the money to replace it I suggest you just unplug it and zip tie the wires out of the way. As long as you are aware of you fluid levels and check them on a regular basis you will be fine! Really how often does coolant leak on an LS1? Good luck!
    -Will

'99 Camaro SS SLP#24 -- Not as Slow and Still As Pretty

The coolant temperature sensor (ECT) screws into the driver's side head right by the #1 cyl, not the same as the coolant level sensor - that's on the passenger side of the radiator just below the cap. Coolant level sensors go bad all the time, if the radiator level is full and cleaning it doesn't work you can just disconnect it and the light will go off, they're pretty expensive to replace. My car doesn't even have one, I think GM took them off the F-body in '00.

Thread Information