Thread: Loud rattle

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

Unhappy Loud rattle

Here's a good one . My 02 vert has been completly trouble free until yesterday while crusing with the top down . I was sitting at the intersection when the light changed and started to pull away when I heard this not very loud rattle that I thought was coming from the car next to me . Well as it turned out it was coming from my car . It only made the rattling noise as i slowly accelerated away from a light . No noise while idle or just cruising . I got out to check & couldn't see anything so I Nailed the son-of-a-bitch , thats when it got real loud and I saw what looked like black pieces of plastic coming from under the car .It kinda sounded like it was coming from around the starter and flex plate and cover . I was close to home so I drove it on in . Now I have to decide whether to drive it to the shop or have it towed . It sits pretty low so I'm not sure I want to take a chance with a wrecker but not sure about driving it either . Anybody have any idea what it could possibly be ?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated .
    Thanks .

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Z ROADSTER View Post
    Here's a good one . My 02 vert has been completly trouble free until yesterday while crusing with the top down . I was sitting at the intersection when the light changed and started to pull away when I heard this not very loud rattle that I thought was coming from the car next to me . Well as it turned out it was coming from my car . It only made the rattling noise as i slowly accelerated away from a light . No noise while idle or just cruising . I got out to check & couldn't see anything so I Nailed the son-of-a-bitch , thats when it got real loud and I saw what looked like black pieces of plastic coming from under the car .It kinda sounded like it was coming from around the starter and flex plate and cover . I was close to home so I drove it on in . Now I have to decide whether to drive it to the shop or have it towed . It sits pretty low so I'm not sure I want to take a chance with a wrecker but not sure about driving it either . Anybody have any idea what it could possibly be ?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated .
    Thanks .
    Sounds like it could have been a heat sheild all carboned up to look black! Is the sound gone?
    2002 Camaro Z28 Bolt ons, Flowmaster catback w/3" QTP electric cutout, Superchips tuned, Granatelli MAF, SLP cold air induction Lid & filter, ZEX powertune plugs, Taylor 10.4mm wires, 160 T-stat w/fan control, Eibach sportlines & BFG-KDW's on 17" SLP SS rims.

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

NO ! Loud as hell . Increases with RPM .

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

could be your cats breaking apart...

Impounded
    2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

^ true ....... my heatshield broke on my driver side cat....after ur cars been parked a while u can grab the cat from the engine bay and pull on it to see if its loose......easy fix

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

is it original exhaust and how many miles. It might be time to replace your exhaust from rot

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

When I first began reading this, I thought it was gonna be differential chatter.

Just raise it up and have a peek. Sounds like the cheapo plastic shield that bolts in behind the starter has come loose,,,and the flywheel chewed it up. It rides within 1/4 inch of the flywheel and if moved much at all it wouldn't take much for the flywheel teeth and/or torque converter bolts to snag ahold of it.

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Just raise it up and have a peek. Sounds like the cheapo plastic shield that bolts in behind the starter has come loose,,,and the flywheel chewed it up. It rides within 1/4 inch of the flywheel and if moved much at all it wouldn't take much for the flywheel teeth and/or torque converter bolts to snag ahold of it.
    There you go . Turns out that a torque converter bolt came out and was rattleing around the flex plate and starter . Destroyed both the flex plate & the starter,dust cover but nothing else . Go figure ! $807.00 later I'm on the road again . Could've been much much worse.
    Thanks Guy's

Quote Originally Posted by Z ROADSTER View Post
    There you go . Turns out that a torque converter bolt came out and was rattleing around the flex plate and starter . Destroyed both the flex plate & the starter,dust cover but nothing else . Go figure ! $807.00 later I'm on the road again . Could've been much much worse.
    Thanks Guy's
    Glad that helped and you found it. Sorry that it did that much damage though. Sure sounded like a good excuse to upgrade the torque converter though

Thread Information