Black
    2001 Trans AM WS6

Loud Noise After New Brake Pad/Rotor Installation

Hi,

I was having issues with my old drilled/slotted rotors starting to warp when I would brake, so I ordered a new set of drilled/slotted rotors which came with ceramic pads. (My old pads are only about 50% worn)

I started by replacing the front rotors and pads. I have done many brake pad replacements before, but only one set of rotors on another vehicle. After finishing the front pads/rotors, I went for a drive to brake in the pads, but the wheels are making horrible squealing noises with no brake pressure applied. I drove for about a mile starting and almost stopping several times, but the noise never went away. It is so loud, I thought maybe one of the pads was on backwards (metal side towards rotor), so I checked all of the pads and they seem fine.

Any ideas? It is dark out now, so I am going to wait until tomorrow and then take it all apart again. If I can't figure out what is wrong, then I will have to put the old rotors and pads back on and have someone else look at it.

Thanks,

Tom

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Sounds like the alignment pins. They are possibly stuck. Pull the calipers back off, and clean, then grease the pins. They are under the little bitty rubber booties. This is of course assuming you have the correct rotors and pads.

Black
    2001 Trans AM WS6

I figured out the issue. The shims that came with the brake pads were dragging on the rotors. I put to the old shims back in and everything is working fine now.

This is the kit that I purchased from Amazon: "Power Stop K1548 Front/Rear Ceramic Brake Pad and Cross Drilled/Slotted Combo Rotor One-Click Brake Kit"

- Tom

Thread Information