black
    2000 trans am ws6 a4

Losing clutch and brakes at high rpm!!!!

hello.ive got a 1998 ws6 with 133k on it.bought it about 3 weeks ago and i absolutely love it.but this problem has plagued me twice already.the other day i was in 2nd,hit the throttle pretty hard,shifted to third at about 40 or so and then wrapped up third to about 80,but when i was slowing for traffic,i noticed i had to stand on the brakes.and the clutch was very soft.but then clutch and brakes came back about 10 seconds later.thats happened twice.its like im losing the hydraulics or something.what the hell is going on with my vacuum and hydraulics?

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

im not expert on that stuff, but it seems to be like youve got a bad vacuum line somewhere.

It may be good that theyre both messing up together, find where theyre linked, and youve probably found your problem

black
    2000 trans am ws6 a4

does the clutch work off vacuum at all?if they are linked,are they linked by vacuum or hydraulicsi know clutch has its own resevoir,but does the cltch work off themaster cylinder at all?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

The brakes and clutch aren't connected at all. The clutch also doesn't run off vacuum assist either. You have 2 separate problems.
    You seem to have a clutch hydraulic problem and a brake fade or power vacuum assist problem.

black
    2000 trans am ws6 a4

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    The brakes and clutch aren't connected at all. The clutch also doesn't run off vacuum assist either. You have 2 separate problems.
    You seem to have a clutch hydraulic problem and a brake fade or power vacuum assist problem.
    i didnt think they were connected.i will look for a vacuum leak in my brake booster hose somewhere.but i dont understand why the clutch gets wak and the brakes fade only under high rpm.then they come back during normal driving.no check engnie lights,car idles at about 900 and everything works under normal driving.is there a bleeder valve for the clutch?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by Leeroyws6 View Post
    is there a bleeder valve for the clutch?
    yes its hidden several a few inches above the hydraulic line that goes into the bellhousing. Looks like this:

Read this sticky in the manual transmission section for more info on your problem.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Brakes could be fading more to the higher mph not the rpm. Have them bled and see if that helps. Most people neglect changing their brake fluid.

black
    2000 trans am ws6 a4

thats a great sticky.i bought some dot 4.i willdo the fluid exchange tomorrow.also gonna do the drill mod.i will try bleeding brakes also,but it seems more like a brake booster problem.after i fix clutch problem i will do a burnout and try to duplicate brake symptom of brakes being hard.they dont fade like the clutch does,the brakes get hard like the power assist is failing.thanks for the input and i will let you guys know tomorrow.

Thread Information