Black
    2002 ws6

Looking: Product to recoat T-Top external rubber sun damage

Close to detailing, but not really, and I wanted input from more than just the showcar crowd so...

The outside rubber on one of my T-Tops is rather sun rotted and crumbling. Does anyone know of a product, like a plasti-dip that will hold, that I can recoat that rubber with?

I had to replace my driver's side T-Top (other one just flew off in the winter when I was driving it and disappeared, was seriously weird! I mean, you'd NOTICE the handle if it weren't locked, it'd be hitting you in the head!??). The replacement is obviously from a much older car.

Thanks if anyone has any input. I may just drop the hundred and try to buy a newer one if I can't find anything else. I'm not a super detailer or polisher kind of guy, but it does look bad.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I am not aware of any way to save rubber that is that far gone. You may be able to source replacements, or simply buy another set of tops for your car that are in better condition.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

You can dye the rubber but if it's started deteriorating your going to have to replace it or buy new tops.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Black
    2002 ws6

Rereading, I overstated the damage, it's more, oxidized and sun pitted, not "crumbling", just the outer coating is pitted.

I've read of spraying with plastidip, and found a paint on product for rubber. Armorall like products (meguirs) help alot, I'd just like to recoat with some product but am not finding anything yet...

I find them on ebay (ttops) but none are actually in much better shape from the pics.

silver
    '02 Firebird Formula

This web site is what is 1st and 2nd gen TA's use when they need t-tops, I bet their O.K. on the 4th gen TA's

T-Top Replacement - Camaro Firebird Trans Am Monte Carlo Cutlass Nissan T-Tops and More...
    2002 Firebird Formula - 5.7 Liter - "Last of the Breed"

Thread Information