Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking at my first F body purchase.

Not sure if this is the right sub-section, if it isn't feel free to move it, but here it goes, basically i've been looking at buying a F body car for a while and want to use it as a daily driver for running errands but also as weekend warrior for the time being. I do eventually want to turn it into a monster drag car but that's not for at least a couple of years.

I'm somewhat familiar with the LS1 because about 8 years ago my dad had dropped one (550ish RWHP IIRC) into his '48 Fleetline and I always loved that car until it burnt to the ground due to an electrical issue a couple of years ago. ( I'll post a couple of pics of it )

I'm coming down to a select few cars that i'm really interested in one of which is a '97 Camaro SS LT1, ram air, 4.10 gears headers, short shift, custom tune, magnaflow exhaust and mild cam, the other car is a '99 Camaro LS1, 3.73 gears, long tube headers, SLP air lid and 3" exhaust. These are the two i'm most interested in and I can get the LS1 probably about $500-1,000 cheaper, basically I want to know how close they are in performance based upon mods listed. I know the LS1 is superior in performance to the LT1 but i've always liked the way the LT1 has sounded.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Here are 2 threads that can help

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/guide-buying-fbody-118628/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/differe...y-years-27512/

Main issues between the LT1 vs LS1 is:

LT1 - Opti issues (Nightmare) Seems the more miles the more opti wants to go out. Less aftermarket support.

LS1 - I can't say to many negatives about the LSx platform. >99's have a minor oil pump issue. Doesn't like hitting the rev limiter. (ask me I know) Only negs about the 99 I see are they have 26lb fuel injectors & are subject to getting "chicken pox"

The fuel injectors can be swapped for better ones if you want. A mail order tune from Frost can wake it up.

Chicken Pox - GM swapped their adhesive for the sail panel and in doing so over time it leaches out and messes up the paint.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f36/ws6-chicken-pox-161254/

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    The fuel injectors can be swapped for better ones if you want.
    Yea I had read about that already, if the '99 ends up being the one I go with I was already going to switch them out to something like the 34 lbs. I was also going to do the Loudmouth exhaust, mild cam, possibly a new 9" rear end and a couple of other things.

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

[QUOTE=

LS1 - I can't say to many negatives about the LSx platform. >99's have a minor oil pump issue. Doesn't like hitting the rev limiter. (ask me I know) Only negs about the 99 I see are they have 26lb fuel injectors & are subject to getting "chicken pox"

The fuel injectors can be swapped for better ones if you want. A mail order tune from Frost[/QUOTE]

I have a question on the injectors. I was unaware the 99-00 had 26lb and others 98-01-02 had 28lb injectors. I'm on the hunt for a LS6 intake so should I be looking for the 28's?
    I already have the Frost tune will there be any Change that I would need a update to the tune?
    Also lastly any brand or type(lbs) recommended?
    I've been looking for more info on this and only found very little
    Last edited by kingls1; 12-16-2013 at 11:50 AM.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Other than my own mucking around with my 98, everything under the hood has worked beautifully since I bought it 3.5 years ago. Every part that has had a problem with mine has been some time after messing with or replacing that part.

I haven't seen very many "clean" LT1 cars on the street... although, I assume the one you're looking at is in good shape.
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    Other than my own mucking around with my 98, everything under the hood has worked beautifully since I bought it 3.5 years ago. Every part that has had a problem with mine has been some time after messing with or replacing that part.

I haven't seen very many "clean" LT1 cars on the street... although, I assume the one you're looking at is in good shape.
    I went and took a look at the '98 LT1 today because I had some free time on my hands. It sounded pretty mean but had a couple of small dents and paint was faded away pretty bad, that really doesn't make a whole lot of difference to me because any car that I get is going to be painted matte black right away and my uncle who is a pro painter said he'll do it at his shop for free if I get it sanded down first.

The '99 is about 40-50 miles away so that will have to wait until later in the week but I have seen a couple of pictures of it and it looks pretty good.

I also found another '99 but this one looks immaculate, garage kept, originally had 98k but just had the motor and tranny replaced with brand new ones less than 5k ago and still has 25k left on the warranty from GM, the only problem is that it's about 300 miles or so away and I can't see myself being able to get away till at least Saturday and probably not even then... This one will probably run me a little more than the others but money isn't a huge factor, I just want to get a sound car that I can work with and eventually build up to be strictly a drag car but that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Is there a post count I have to be at before my messages don't need approval from a mod and also be able to post pictures?

Navy Blue Metallic

I think you mean 97 LT1.
    yes and also you need to use a site like photobucket to post pics.

Here is how you can use photobucket to post pics.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f98/how-po...bucket-138199/
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 12-17-2013 at 06:11 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by kingls1 View Post
    I have a question on the injectors. I was unaware the 99-00 had 26lb and others 98-01-02 had 28lb injectors. I'm on the hunt for a LS6 intake so should I be looking for the 28's?
    I already have the Frost tune will there be any Change that I would need a update to the tune?
    Also lastly any brand or type(lbs) recommended?
    I've been looking for more info on this and only found very little

I would with a LS6 intake, besides the intake having about 20-30% more volume, the 26lb injectors limit just how much fuel at WOT you can have. IIRC those yrs also had a slightly different cam.

I would stay with stock GM injectors. I still have my set if you're looking for some. Only stipulation is I need to hold on till after I get my tune for the 42lb injectors for my new build. it may be mid Feb or Mar before I can let them go.

Yes you need to have him make the adjustments in the fuel tables. It's a small adjustment but it matters, also going to a LS6 intake in addition will make it more important to do so. He doesn't charge for a full mail tune to make adjustments, so cost is not a big deal.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Keep in mind when you purchase, that the LT1 engine is nothing more than a "truck motor" I believe with a cast iron block (heavy), and aluminum heads.

SteveC

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I think you mean 97 LT1.
    yes and also you need to use a site like photobucket to post pics.
    Yea I already knew that I had to use Photobucket but anytime that I try to post a picture it pops up with this

" Post denied. New posts are limited by number of URLs it may contain and checked if it doesn't contain forbidden words. "

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

After 5 posts you should be good to go.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

LS1 is better in every way over the LT1.....

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    After 5 posts you should be good to go.
    Alright thanks but it seems like a couple of my posts never got posted. I remember something that popped up saying " Needing mod approval " or something like that.
    Last edited by StickWelder; 12-18-2013 at 12:47 AM.

Still getting the message:

" Post denied. New posts are limited by number of URLs it may contain and checked if it doesn't contain forbidden words. " So i'm guessing it's probably 10 posts needed?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

you are correct.....10 posts. It's set up that way to keep spammers at bay.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

I'm just going to throw this out there for the OP...

I feel that the LS1 is a little bit of a let down after 4000 rpm. If you nail the throttle below 2500, the pull isn't as strong as I'd like it to be be. There is an inital wallop as soon as you stomp the pedal, but as the rpms climb, the "surge" doesn't build like it does in some other (much more expensive) cars I've driven (911, NSX, etc). Now, if you're at/above 3500 and you stomp the gas, it pulls strong as hell. But for some resason, the lower you start in the rpm range, the less of a "thrill" you get as rpms climb toward redline. Everything after the throttle body and before the cat-back is stock on my car, for what that's worth.

I suspect that the LS6 minfold will wake up the high rpm performance a little bit, and some long tubes should bring it fully to life. The LS6 is next on my list, but if the money just fell into my lap, I'd do long tubes/y-pipe first.

But don't get me wrong: the car is plenty fast. I'm just nitpicking over the nuances at this point.

I'd imagine the LT1, with its torque and power peaking at lower rpm would have the same issue, but amplified as torque falls off sooner.
    Last edited by Naaman; 12-19-2013 at 01:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    you are correct.....10 posts. It's set up that way to keep spammers at bay.
    Alright thanks.

But I also have the problem of two or three posts that I posted haven't showed up, that's what I was meaning when I said " I remember something that popped up saying " Needing mod approval " or something like that. "

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Welcome to the site. I never owned an LT1 equipped car, so I am not able to make any direct comparison. However, you will not be disappointed by anything with an LS in it, they are pretty darn reliable, and when stuff does need replaced or breaks (absent a catastrophic failure) they are not bad to work on at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post

I feel that the LS1 is a little bit of a let down after 4000 rpm.
    Well whatever car I do decide on will have quite a bit done to it right off the bat. I found another that i'm really interested in with a brand new motor that only has 5k and is still in warranty by GM for another 25k but the post was somehow lost (see last post).

Here's what i'm looking to do:
    MS3 cam (+stall if auto but would rather have M6)
    Long tubes
    Loudmouth II
    LS6 intake
    SLP lid
    *Possibly* 9" rear
    Posi-trac
    Frost tune
    Last edited by StickWelder; 12-19-2013 at 03:12 AM.

Thread Information