Looking for information about 1999 Trans Am

I'm looking to buy a 1999 T/A. Price is good for a beautiful car, but I'm kind of skeptical. It is advertised as a 1999 Ram Air and it has the Ram Air sticker on the hood, but there is no WS6 emblem on the back of the car.

This made me start wondering if there's a possibility that this is really not a Ram Air and someone just put the sticker on it.

Is there any way to tell if it's truly a Ram Air? Is there anyway to tell if it's a WS6 or not?

Did they make a Ram Air model that is not WS6?

Thanks ahead of time for the help!

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Here you go, all located in the General Info stickies.

Differences between F-bodies
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/differe...y-years-27512/

Guide to buying F-bodies
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/guide-buying-fbody-118628/

RPO Codes - (look on the door tag listing WS6 with the RPO codes, no listing = no WS6)

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/rpo-cod...4/#post1736499

It has to have the WS6 RPO code on the door tag to make it a true WS6. If door tag is missing then you have to go to the dealer and have them look up the RPO codes for the VIN #

No ram air models without WS6 code. Even the Formulas that are ram air have the WS6 RPO code.

OP - if it's not a true WS6 don't fret to much, gives you some bargaining power. There is nothing wrong with a clone WS6 or Firehawk, as long as it is not passed off as a true WS6 or Firehawk. Most owners will do a badging like WS7 or WS9 for example, I've even seen a WSSick.

I can say this with confidence that most use car dealers have no clue when it comes to what a car truly has. Most never look up the VIN # to validate that a car is or isn't a WS6. If it looks like one, they will try to pass it off as one because they can get more $$. I've had a couple of dealers try to convince me that a car had the LS1 motor when it was a LT1. Same goes for Mustang GT's that get Roush or Cobra body mods. They count on stupid buyers, I'm not saying you are one, just that they look for ppl that they know what they want but don't know how to verify it. Shoppers like you are few and far. You're being very smart in researching for what you want. I hope the above threads answer all your questions, if not just ask away. We will try to answer them as best we can.

Good Luck

Navy Blue Metallic

Carl, I looked at those pics you email me and I can say 100% it is not a WS6.

The hood is an aftermarket hood, most likely from Sun Coast. How you can tell is the front view. A true WS6 hood will look like it has 4 nose vents. That one has 2 only.

It still looks very clean and good. I wish I could see pics of the engine bay and underneath. He is asking a little way much, like it's a 01-02 with 30k miles, however I don't know what car prices are in your area. It does have low mileage and that is a major plus. I'd try to talk him down a bit. For the record I got my 98 T/A for $6500, all stock no mods @ 108k miles, almost 3 yrs ago. I'd ask if they know who did the work for the aftermarket bolt-ons.

Here are some other pointers to look for that may not be in those threads that I posted.

- On the rear qtr panels just above the wheel wells look for dimples or small wrinkles. That will mean the car has been seriously flexed. Not a big deal but you will want to get SFC's as soon as possible. They kept unibodies from flexing.

- Look at the pumpkin & rear axle tubes for leaks. Another sign that previous owner abused it. Our rears can go out under stock power. A4's have it a little better then M6's

- Leaks from the power steering pump. Not a deal breaker but a needed fix asap. The fluid leaks on the alternator that is right below the PS pump. It will fry it. Most leaks are from the O ring on the high pressure hose. A 90 cent o ring can cause so much issues.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 01-04-2012 at 01:38 PM.

Thanks!

Your information is very valuable.

Based upon research that I've done so far: Unless you're the guy looking for a specific model, the WS6/Ram Air package pretty much just adds some resale value and some stuff a guy like me doesn't need.

I'm looking at the car on Saturday.

Navy Blue Metallic

More or less so. Besides the Firehawk a WS6 package car is very sought after. What it gives is a better then stock suspension, a ram air hood, and badging. When I was looking for mine I really wanted a Firehawk. Couldn't find one near me at all, 4 months of looking I found a Firehawk on here for sale. I also came across mine the day before I flew out to look at the Firehawk. Well the guy was a great guy and I was very committed to getting the car however on the way back into town something happen and a valve spring gave way. Needless to say I didn't purchase. So I came back home, looked at it again, took it for a test drive. Thought about it a couple of more days. During that time I realized that the only reason I was willing to accept a WS6 was for the looks and that was the only advantage a WS6 had over stock. I knew that I was going to upgrade the suspension and mod the hell out of her. So getting a stock looking car for cheaper then a WS6 model was a far better purchase. So I went and got it. Turn out to be a great move on my part. The car was very well taken care of.

I still want a Firehawk and someday I will, but for now I'm enjoying the hell out of what I got now.

Thread Information