BLACK
    02 CAMARO SS a4

longtube headers w/o tune= problems? help please!!

i wanted to know if i put lt on my car without a tune would i tear something up on my car? any help will be appreciated thanks!!!!

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

def. not. i ran mine for a year without a tune and no probs. just runs a lil rich

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

no your fine...it will run real rich..however dont not get a tune..you should get one as soon as possible..or else you run the risk of running rich...

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

you could if your not careful...while your unbolting the manifolds off...your going to have to unbolt the starter and air...while your down their you might as well install the prothane motor mount bushings,many people complain about the header rubbing against the frame...

BLACK
    02 CAMARO SS a4

what does running rich mean or do? thanks guys your life savers how much do u gain with the lt's w/o tune? with tune? i want a tune but there are no tuners in alabama im probably gonna have to go to ga or fl to get a tune which sucks but wanted to know if i would be ok for a while without a tune

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 35thAnniZ28 View Post
    you could if your not careful...while your unbolting the manifolds off...your going to have to unbolt the starter and air...while your down their you might as well install the prothane motor mount bushings,many people complain about the header rubbing against the frame...
    you dont have to unbolt your starter and air system

Quote Originally Posted by hmorris7000 View Post
    what does running rich mean or do? thanks guys your life savers how much do u gain with the lt's w/o tune? with tune? i want a tune but there are no tuners in alabama im probably gonna have to go to ga or fl to get a tune which sucks but wanted to know if i would be ok for a while without a tune
    running rich just means burning more fuel. maybe 20 hp with no tune i would say. like i said, i ran mine for a year w/ a stock tune
    2002 Z28 M6, Suncoast Creations ram air, port/polish TB w/ bypass and bumpstop, heater hose mod, stainless steel long tubes, ORY w/ dual cutouts, Magnaflow, BMR SFC, UMI Torque Arm, LS7 clutch w/ drill mod, Pro 5.0 w/ Lous short stick, MSD wires, 4.10s, good maintenancehttp://www.fquick.com/blue02z

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

yea no problems here mine is still untuned. you will pick up some more hp and it will run a little better. but i just run a little rich.
    M6, Lid, Ported and Polished Throttle Body (By Me!), LT, Custom Catted Y, Electric Cutout, PHB, LCA13.21@108 with a 2.3 60'

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

[QUOTE=blue02Z;1137839]you dont have to unbolt your starter and air system

well..made shit a whole alot easier....i meant air hoses

Slow SS

Black
    2002 Chevy Camaro

takes all of 30 sec to pull the starter so i reccommend it. also, before my tune with lt's I got 75 miles to the TANK, get a tune, I am back up to normal milage after, and the tuner bought me 20 hp

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 35thAnniZ28 View Post

well..made shit a whole alot easier....i meant air hoses
    thats cool, mine went in so smooth i did not need it

Quote Originally Posted by dlbrando View Post
    takes all of 30 sec to pull the starter so i reccommend it. also, before my tune with lt's I got 75 miles to the TANK, get a tune, I am back up to normal milage after, and the tuner bought me 20 hp
    holy sh!t!!!!!!!!!!!! were you driving with the pedal on the floor. before my tune i drove from here to yellowstone and averaged 32mpg, the whole trip! no joke. i really dont see how you only got 75 miles to the tank, that amounts to like 4.5 mpg
    Last edited by blue02Z; 11-21-2007 at 06:48 AM.

Black
    2002 Formula Firehawk

yeah thats kind of insane. you sure it was 75 to the tank?

Slow SS

Black
    2002 Chevy Camaro

I am not sure what happened, but I definatly got around 75 to 80 on a tank, certainly no more than 100. I got it tuned after a tank and a half. And no, it was normal city driving. I drive stop and go to school work and my apt most everyday the only highway I get is when I roll around the beltline to the mall.

red
    2002 ss camaro 35th

i just put some long tube kooks headers an they ran really rich..i suggest a tune to make your car feal way better and preform better

blue
    1998 trans am ws6

i bought my car with hooker lts and ypipe and it definitly runs rich i dont think the guy ever had it tuned. how much do they cost? and where would i go to get one done?
    Built A4 with B&M Transpak shift kit, Hooker Lt's, 0RY, 4in cutout, Debaffled, K&N, SLP Lid, Bellows, p+p+descreened MAF,TB bypass, 180 degree Theromostat, AC removed, RP Trans fluid, oil, MSD 8.5 wires, Autolite Xtreme perf plugs, Nitto DR

Coming soon SFC, 373 gears, 96mm intake/96mm TB, Tune

Slow SS

Black
    2002 Chevy Camaro

call around to local performance shops, average tune is between 200 to 300 bucks, it depends on what they can do. Mine was 250.

Bright Red
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

My car must be an oddball, or I am reading this RICH after header swap thing wrong.

After longtubes and ORY...

At IDLE and light CRUISE RPM it was a little RICH out of the tailpipes because car is actually LEAN (due to headers) and pcm adds fuel to compensate.

WOT was definitely LEAN...as it should have been, since exhaust was opened up and a/f ratio is ignored by O2 sensors at WOT.

Idle and light throttle cruise were leaned out during tune, and at WOT a good bit of fuel was added to make best all around power, and to get WOT a/f ratio in check. Found pretty much 20rwhp everywhere, slightly more at peaks. (Mustang Dyno, FWIW)
    2002 Silverado Z71 ECSB HPTuners tuned by yours truly
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 6.0, 4L80E, 9" rear
    webpage: http://www.fquick.com/rel3rd/

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by dlbrando View Post
    I am not sure what happened, but I definatly got around 75 to 80 on a tank, certainly no more than 100. I got it tuned after a tank and a half. And no, it was normal city driving. I drive stop and go to school work and my apt most everyday the only highway I get is when I roll around the beltline to the mall.
    your car is crazy then dude, my 74 built c10 with a built 350 pushing around 400 at the crank and a slippin th400 and 3.73's on the hiway gets like 12mpg. i feel sorry for you

Slow SS

Black
    2002 Chevy Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z View Post
    your car is crazy then dude, my 74 built c10 with a built 350 pushing around 400 at the crank and a slippin th400 and 3.73's on the hiway gets like 12mpg. i feel sorry for you
    well it is better now... tune fixed all of that

2000 Camaro SS
    1969 Z28 JL8 crossram, #'

I did the lid, ported TB, free airbox mod and EGR tube mod and my car was adding fuel big time(LT trims were around 12.5% on the highway). I just did the longtube headers and the LT trims are down a little bit but still adding 10-12% on the highway. You guys who say they were running rich might be backwards on that thinking. More airflow with stock computer will definitely be leaner than stock. I think the ORY with no cats makes the exhaust smell and look different, but that's not running rich, it's running dirty. The 75 miles to a tank sounds like you had a dead O2 sensor and the car was running on SD or limp mode.

Slow SS

Black
    2002 Chevy Camaro

had 1 bad o2, but the problem persisted after the fix. the tune fixed all of it and restored my milage. Most of us can say we were running rich for sure because we had the A/F ratio checked and it was off for sure

Thread Information