Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

black
    2000 trans am ws6

long tube headers

I'm about to buy some long tube headers and don't have enough money to buy the y pipes yet can I go ahead and just run the car with the headers only with just the two front o2s will it mess my car u I have a 2000 trans am

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Do you mean open headers or hooked uo to you existing system ? Open headers will drive you and everyone else crazy but I do not think it will hurt the car even though you will throw codes. Just wait and get the system you want and do the job right the first time.

black
    2000 trans am ws6

I'm buying long tube headers and don't have the money to get the whole system right now just want to run the long tubes for like a month before I get the rest

White/Blue
    1999 Trans Am Ws.6

What's the benefits of long tube compared to Shorty.. or what's the reason one will be chosen over the other

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Long tube headers will not bolt up to your existing exhaust system. Unless you had an exhaust shop modify your existing Y then it would not work. I really urge you to just hold off till you can get a y pipe.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

I did it for 3 days and after the first between the exhaust fumes and open header noise it got old fast. My clothes smelled like exhaust also. Not to mention everytime I saw a cop I hoped I didn't get pulled. Sounds awesome for a while but wears off.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

I also found that the car drove like crap with just LT headers on, my throttle response was pretty bad.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

black
    2000 trans am ws6

So I should just hold off huh I think I'm going to go ahead and buy them and just hold off till I get the money for the y pipes

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

What headers are you getting? I got the OBX system off eBay with the y-pipe included and love them price was right fittment was great, you can get them catted ($6??.00) or resonators ($520.00) I would suggest getting the cats I got the resonators and have a rasp sound, others with cats don't have it...some will say thay are junk but I would say otherwise. Very nice piece and so far glad I saved a good chunk of change..then let Frost do a tune and tune out the rear o2's.. But how ever you do it get all your parts and the tear into it once!

2000 WS6 m6

Or you can get the BBK kit which comes with a y-pipe

black
    2000 trans am ws6

Yeah I was going to get just the headers off eBay because I've herd good things and there super cheap but I guess I can wait and save up for the ones your talking about the whole system do the sound good ?

red
    2000 trans am ws6

i bought the ebay headers and they were great except the first set i bought had the 02 bungs on wrong sides.
    a Y-pipe should only run you 150 or less is you find a used one.. i believe you should find one on here,ebay, or ls1tech.com even cheaper

2000 WS6 m6

If you do the ebay headers this is the y-pipe you want. stainless, good quality and cheap

Texas Speed 3" Off-Road Y-pipe

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Buy the headers now and set them aside. When you can purchase a Y-pipe, then complete your install. No sense doing it twice in that short a time period. I would not run open headers. The O2 senders are back in the collectors and without a Y-pipe the exhaust stream will be mixed with outside air and really throw off your fueling. Also, pick up a set of Bosch P/N 13111 O2 senders for your car. They have a nice long harness and will not require the use of extensions or modifications to the wire harness in order to work.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Big D Squared View Post
    Yeah I was going to get just the headers off eBay because I've herd good things and there super cheap but I guess I can wait and save up for the ones your talking about the whole system do the sound good ?
    I got the obx ones with the catted y pipe it sounds really good. This is a clip of my car after it was installed:

White/Blue
    1999 Trans Am Ws.6

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    I got the obx ones with the catted y pipe it sounds really good. This is a clip of my car after it was installed:

What catback are you running?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Boothe View Post
    What's the benefits of long tube compared to Shorty.. or what's the reason one will be chosen over the other

In a nut shell,, an engine gets greater exhaust velosity(sp) with long tubes rather than shorty headers.

The greater velosity helps clear the cylinders of exhaust better than shorties.

Helps give a better/cleaner fuel mixture, equaling more power.

There's more to it obvioulsy, with scavenging and so forth but that's the jist.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Buy the headers now and set them aside. When you can purchase a Y-pipe, then complete your install. No sense doing it twice in that short a time period. I would not run open headers. The O2 senders are back in the collectors and without a Y-pipe the exhaust stream will be mixed with outside air and really throw off your fueling. Also, pick up a set of Bosch P/N 13111 O2 senders for your car. They have a nice long harness and will not require the use of extensions or modifications to the wire harness in order to work.
    this pretty much nails why you shouldn't run headers only.....

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Also, shortie headers have proven to be a waste of money, the stock LS1 manifolds do as good a job as shorties. Many people here have proven it on the dyno. You probably should wait a few days after you have the headers on, before you put the new O2 sensors on. Sometimes they sensors get fouled from the coating on the inside of the header. Sometimes not (like me), but I've heard it does happen. Yeah, your Check Engine light will be on, you can drive it like that as long as you wanna until you get it tuned, as long as you don't mind the light or have an emissions check in your area.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Boothe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post

What catback are you running?

Slp loudmouth 1

Thread Information