Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Let's talk about Break In Oil

Getting close enough to start thinking about this.

So what break in oil is recommended?

I only know of 2 names.

Joe Gibbs BR-30 and CompCams

One is cheaper then the other but I'm looking for quality.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

I will be using Amsoil Break-in Oil (SAE 30) when it comes time for me.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Back in the day, it was conventional oil and a bottle of STP Oil Treatment. I would probably go with the Joe Gibbs or maybe Brad Penn for the higher zinc content additive packs. Even with a roller cam, it certainly cannot hurt to give it a little extra protection on initial startup.

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

First start: Rotella T 15W40 Diesel Oil. Run for 15-20 min. Change oil and filter with a non synthetic oil of your choice, drive for 50 to 100 miles around town, stop and go, getting up in the RPM a bit then change oil and filter again. Now your ready to do whatever you want, take it to the dyno, track, launch it off every street light. Just don't run any synthetic before 2,000 miles. My engine had about 300 miles on it when it hit the dyno, taking the RPM's up over 7k.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Let's talk about Break In Oil

I always thought regular oil could be used. Good to know.

extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

You can use it... but not really recommended. Both break in oil, and the oils mentioned, have higher levels of zinc and such that helps prevent wear. Even with a roller cam, not a bad idea to go with the break in oil. Just my .02 on the matter.

Just to throw this out there. Even the deisel oils like the Rotella has reduced their zinc additive packages to an extent. Still a decent oil but not sure if I'd trust it completely in a flat tappet cam engine anymore. A few years ago it was the "go to" oil for us classic car guys because of it's higher zinc concentrate and cleaning properties. It's not as good as it used to be now. After some digging I found that the Valvoline VR1 has a decent zinc package but still may be a little light (they recommend about 1200 ppm) however only in the 20W50 viscosity is the zinc high. The lower viscosity VR1 has less zinc because the lower viscosity oils are what most car manufactures recommend so they conform to the rules. I suppose 20w-50 is a loop hole because that viscosity isn't recommended by the OEM manufactures. It used to be labeled "off road use only" but I haven't seen that on the VR1 for quite some time now. Makes you wonder....
    On a side note, when I bought my crate 502 from Scoggin/Dickey last year which is a roller cam engine, they told me (and it was in the paperwork) to break in and run the engine on VR1 20W-50. Hmmm.

I'm breaking in a new 327 for a customer with a flat tappet cam soon. Currently filled with Joe Gibbs break in oil, and I always add a little bottle of GM EOS (engine oil supplement) that can be bought over the counter ( I buy it in a 12 pack). It's basically the same stuff that Comp Cams sells to add to your oil for camshaft break in. A bottle of zinc to put it simply. I add it to the already high zinc oil package from Joe Gibbs just for added insurance. Can't be too carefull. I've used this little oil additive breaking in engines for years. Good stuff.
    So if you don't get your hands on a good oil package such as Joe Gibbs,,,,then at the very least I'd add the EOS for break in. Even if you run a roller camshaft, there are still alot of other parts in the engine that see alot of load, such as piston skirts for instance. The lack of Zinc also accelerates the wear in these areas, so it's more than just a camshaft issue. Oil companies don't want you to know that though.

Navy Blue Metallic

Never thought I get to a point that I have a spectral analyst of oils. Great information. I'm still glad I learn new stuff every day.

FBJ, do the parts places sell the EOS? or is it something I need to go to the dealership for?

I've never seen the EOS in any parts stores. Not sure they could sell it legally with the EPA and all. Wouldn't want to ruin all those converters out there, hehe, might make them liable.

So not sure how GM gets away with selling it, but they have had it for years. It's meant for break in however I've heard of people using it as an additive package to subpar oil that doesn't have Zinc. Bottle even says it's not meant for that and meant for break in only. Maybe that disclaimer is how they are able to sell???

Anyway, if you don't want to hit the dealer for it, you can buy the little bottles from places like Comp Cams, Isky, Crane, where they advertise it as camshaft break in additive. Summit Racing sells it and does the same thing.

Navy Blue Metallic

ok...thxs.

That now explains the dumb look I got from the clerks when I asked if they had any break in oil.

Thread Information