Black
    99 Camaro

let me know what you guys think?

bought a 99 camaro z28 only 19 years old all i could really afford..... she has 136,000 miles on her and the owner couldnt tell me much about it except its never been run hard he said he took care of it but im not sure its got its usuall clunks and rattles. nervous about doing stuff to it does it have to many miles? save it and daily drive it and get something else later on or is it a safe vehicle to modify?
    Last edited by Cohi; 12-23-2008 at 12:28 PM.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

theres only one way to find out. First things first i would start by doing a complete tune-up so you know where you stand.
    All fluids and filters, plugs, wires, etc etc.
    From there i would say mod away.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Congrats

Impounded

NBM
    99 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Cohi View Post
    bought a 99 camaro z28 only 19 years old all i could really afford..... she has 136,000 miles on her and the owner couldnt tell me much about it except its never been run hard he said he took care of it but im not sure its got its usuall clunks and rattles. nervous about doing stuff to it does it have to many miles? save it and daily drive it and get something else later on or is it a safe vehicle to modify?
    Congrats! And as long of you take care of your ls1, she will take care of you. I currently have 178xxx miles on my 99z and it still pulls like a mofo. Good luck with whatever you choose!

black
    2000 pontiac trans am

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess View Post
    theres only one way to find out. First things first i would start by doing a complete tune-up so you know where you stand.
    All fluids and filters, plugs, wires, etc etc.
    From there i would say mod away.
    J
    excellent place to start! examining your fluids, and all these parts will give you a good indication on how the car was maintained. One thing you'll learn is that these engines make noises, valve, and maybe some piston slap at start up. I've had a 2000 corvette, traded that in for a 2000 Trans Am, both of these cars made the same noises at a cold start up. Despite the noises, these engines are the strongest I've worked on.

Black
    98 Z28 Vert

My 98 only had 60,000 miles and the first thing I did when I got it home was replace the plugs and wires, belts, airfilter, oil and filter, flush the tranny and radiator. Since then I've done new brakes and tires, and alternator and P/S pump. I have the rear end diff fluid and additive but I've been putting that one off cause it's so messy and stinky...

I'd say do all the preventative maintenance stuff first so you know where you stand. Maybe even have the compression checked. When that's all in order then consider a few mods like exhaust and intake...

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Keep the oil changed, make sure all the fluids are good to go after changing them ALL.

Complete tune up and all..

THEN BEAT THE PISS OUTTA IT AND MOD AWAY!!!!!

155.5k here!

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I wouldn't be too worried with a car of that many miles. Mines got 105k and it runs like a beast. Do like everyone has already stated and you should be fine.

If anything did happen to the motor, they really aren't that expensive to replace, that's the way i look at it. Just gotta find someone to help you swap out the motor.

Black
    99 Camaro

thanks for the information guys, i changed all the fluids already, trans fluid was burnt up but other than that with new fluid in it it shifts fine except 1rst to 2nd or vise versa 2nd to 1rst it kicks hard like someone is pushing the back of the car, and going from park to reverse or drive it makes a grunt noise. other then that i have changed all the filters and belt but i have been holding off on the plugs cause they look like they suck.

red
    2002 ss camaro

Just remember This is modern muscle once you get bit you will want more don't be afraid to mod it or keep it as a daily driver they are well built cars that might require tlc from time to time just make sure when people do the work you get a complete explanation of what is going to happen so you are prepared. these motors are designed to runn for 100,000 mile before there fist tune up so just keep up with it and you willo be fine. but it won't be like having a new car every two years things will break no big deal.

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

good luck with it, have fun

Great job !, enjoy, my Z/28 is at 120,000 and still runs strong.
    04 C5 A4 Torch Red - sold
    2009 CTS4 Ice Black - sold
    2013 1500 Silverado Z71 - sold
    02 Z/28 M6 Onyx Black All Options - Sold

2014 Caddy CTS4 - DD
    2016 Silverado 2500HD
    2020 Caddy XT6
    2020 2SS Vert

98 Formula
    06 duramax

congrats on the new car and you'll get a range of responses here. I can only offer my opinion or what I would do. Taking in your age and that you said it was all you can really afford I'm going to guess that you want to keep it running a while and don't want to dump money into it for repairs. I would personally catch up on all the maintenance and make sure the car is solid. I wouldn't run out and throw a bunch of mods at it. You can do simple bolt on stuff and it will be more than fine. The really good news is that the LS1 is a bullet proof motor for the most part. It's very dependable and will make great power even later in it's life. Take care of the car and it'll take care of you.

Thread Information