NBM

lean issue for a couple seconds only when turning right???

Having an odd issue. was able to get the car up and running after a few hiccups and a couple months of it being down. Long story short, had the trans rebuilt and swapped from the 98 pcm to a 02 pcm. What I notice was that only when I make right turns, such as turning onto an intersection/road and I apply any throttle like 10-30% that the car will stutter and my wideband will go to super lean for only a couple seconds then somehow clears up and returns to normal again. Car runs and drives fine on left turns and straights and at WOT. Im currently running unknown miles L67/GTP injectors so technically 42.5# but never had an issue before the car was down for the couple months. No codes either FWIW. Any advice/suggestions?

edit-my mods are:
    LQ4 with cam, bolt-ons, LTs, and wideband(on passenger side), running Open-Loop/MAF tune, 42.5# GTP inj.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

this is a new one to me........the only thing that comes to me is maybe a harness being pinched or tugged on when you turn that direction?? I believe I've heard it all now. It does it no matter how much gas is in the car? Running the 98 tank and fuel pump? The 98's don't run the bucket on the fuel pump and has baffles in the tank so it really shouldn't starve the pump like that which is kinda what I was getting at with the gas level. Check around your steering rack and make sure there's no wires in there anywhere that could be getting pinched or pulled tight. That's about all I got.

what were the hiccups and why was the car down? For the swap?

NBM

sorry i should had mentioned im running a racetronix fuel pump but 98 tank which is 15.5gals compared to the 99+ wit 16.6 correct?. also i havent been able to fix the fuel tables in the pcm(didnt know about that part after the tuner adjusted them before i flashed the file to the pcm) and i ran ot of gas and was running on fumes.
    it was down initially cause the stock trans was slipping on the 2-3 shifts so my buddy's shop rebuilt it. then i bricked 3 98 pcms only to know that the hp tuerns version had a bug that caused certain and mainly 98 pcms to not flash correctly. so then i decided to just swap to the 99+ pcms and get away from the 98 pcm.

nothing is hitting the steering shaft and i tried wiggling the wires from the pcm to see if anything would happen but nothing as of yet. i just changed the fuel tables but havent yet flashed it to the pcm.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

It's starting to sound coincidental to me. Sounds like you have a few things going on there. I have a 98 pcm & have flashed mine 100 times probably with no issues. Are you doing tunes through email or are you adjusting the initial tune? I'm wondering if you just have a tune issue going on? That makes a lot more sense to me. The fact you're turning the wheel one way or the other really shouldn't matter unless you're tugging on or pinching a harness. Also.....since you're open loop that MAF calibration is important & can make a huge impact on drivability. The car will also reference the ve table on throttle transitions. How close is your ve table?
    Last edited by 0rion; 08-05-2013 at 08:53 AM.

NBM

i mentioned that when i bricked the 3 98 pcms there was a bug in one of the versions hp tuerns released which caused flashing issues and with how senstive 98s were it totally bricked it. i had flashed the original 98 pcm numerous time then when i updated to the version released back in early march it was when it started.

im currently doing tunes on my hp tuners suite software. i looked down where the steering goes to (which is right by the driver side header/manifold) and nothing/no wires is obstructing it. i dont touch my ve table much(its mostly 1998 stock values but i may just input the 02 stock values since i am now running a 02 pcm instead) since i read the pcm only reverts to the ve table if the MAF fails.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

picture is starting to get a little more clear. What size cam are you running? Your issue is starting to sound more and more tune related to me. The VE is referenced on throttle transitions so you'll want that VE to at least be in the ballpark and since your open loop you have no fueling corrections happening. Tuning the VE is a pretty simple and straight forward process with hptuners. Go into the help files and there's a how to in there under user submitted. Use your wideband and get that ve nailed down. You could also have some issues due to the larger injectors. Who did your original tune? Some of those injector values are closely guarded secrets. I would go over your MAF too and see how far it's off paying special attention to that area you're having issues in. Since it seems like you can replicate it get some logs of it doing it and use your histogram to see how far things are off. I believe you'll find that your tune just needs some work. I've not seen a cam yet bigger than stock that didn't need some ve work done to it....especially down low.

NBM

orion i think you were right originally on part of the fuel pump and location. i think you're right. what im getting at is, when i swapped to the 02 pcm i had it sent to shortuning to get the fuel segments updated and james (who went far and beyond and helped me on the right track-highly recommend him!) said that i would also need to adjust the fuel tables on my end in HP Tuners. after some adjustments i found that the fuel gauge needle was just above empty (i poured 4gallons prior) but drove 50miles on 3.73 gears so i imagine it was low again. i filled up yesterday to 6gallons and so far so good.

Thread Information