Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Exclamation Leakkkkkkkkkkkkkkkking--------LS Assistance

Hey LS Buddies,

I need your ownership experiences again. I purchased a Silver TA 3 weeks ago.. it had a leak so I brought it back to their lot mechanic. The replaced this

Through time, the urethane bushings will become rigid and begin to squeak.... so beware. They are brittle.... if you look at the ones I have in the image, remember to replace them with ones that have hard plastic rubber bushings.

I did the exhaust on both of my TA's today:

While the Silver one was on the ramp and Jackstands, I inspect and snap photos of the oil leak (mess)--See Below. Was hoping I didn't have to bring it back to mechanic and solve the problem myself..... like a gasket, etc. At any rate, I cleaned up the area where the leaking oil was dispersed.... and it looked like a bad sealed from the oil filter..The leaked oil was all over the place below, thus, it was very difficult to inspect lying underneath a Jack/ramped vehicle.... so I replace the oil filter. It's still leaking my friends.... have any of you guys experience a similiar problem? Looking at the oil color, I don't think it's transmission fluid or powersteering fluid. Since the oil was all over the place, I was not able to pinpoint the precise area. I will be dropping off the vehicle at the Used Auto lot garage this week, they have a lift for better diagnostic..... I only have a week left before the Used Car Warranty Expires. Any guesses to this troubled oil leak problem would be helpful. I like to have knowledge of how long the mechanic will have the vehicle and major shit he will do to the it to solve the problem. From the images, the oil mess is so dipersed from the oil pan to the transmission. I assume the leak is probably above the oil pan trickling down and sweeping rearward as I drive.

Thanks, Matttttttttttttttt

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

So you took it to the dealer and they replaced Your sway bar link for a leak? First off, I would say its oil, you should be able to tell by the smell and also check your oil level, it seem sto be leaking pretty bad, I would personaly Wash the underside of your car, clean it up real good to where all the oil and debris is off from under the vehicle, then drive it around a bit to see where the oil is coming from. When you replaced the filter did you completely clean the underneath of your car? could be, filter, housing,pan,rear, etc.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Is your oil pan squishy? I mean if you push on it, does it feel that way? Not sure where you are, but I was having an oil leak on my Camaro, and couldn't tell either... had a mech look at it, and while I was there, he said see this... and put his finger into the pan and the pushed up (It had rotted from the northern salt.. I was from Wisconsin).. he said not good.. you need a new pan.. I drove it home and its been parked since... in fact its up for sale, because I can't drive 4 cars.. lol.
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Looks like it's comin from the front to me. Like ^ said, clean it all up and it should be easy to see where it's comin from.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

I'd say front as well. How many miles are on it?

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Thumbs up Thanks for the Advice....

Yah it seems bad... I constantly check for for Oil level but the dipstick does not show any sign of addition needed.

The vehicle has 110,000....... This oil leak could be the reason the previous owner traded it in for another vehicle. I love these F bodies thus I purchased the sucker. I have one week left to bring it back to the Used Car dealership to let them handle it without any expenses.

I would clean it up really good for check if it was no longer under warranty.

It's not the pan casing, or at least from what I have seen from the inspection. That would be an easy fix, but still, I would let them use their lift and expense to handle it.

What could say, the TA flys at 110,000 miles on the odometer.... but as always wear and tear will junk the vehicle through time.

Thank you much for your advices and I will keep you posted on the Mechanix oil leak finding.

Matttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

Quote Originally Posted by slims00ls1z28 View Post
    I'd say front as well. How many miles are on it?

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

You are Probably Correct from the looks of it...

Yah, I think you are right!!! Driving will splatter the oil rearward.

Thank you,
    Mattttttttttttttttttttttt

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Looks like it's comin from the front to me. Like ^ said, clean it all up and it should be easy to see where it's comin from.

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Thumbs up Thanks Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In in California.... the vehicle has 110,000..... previous owner probably traded it in and not wanted to deal with that problem. Read my previous reply..... I don't think the vehicle was very well maintained, due to the fact that it so dam dirty where the T top sealed are at.

Thanks for the suggestion...

Matthewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Quote Originally Posted by KITTvsKARR View Post
    Is your oil pan squishy? I mean if you push on it, does it feel that way? Not sure where you are, but I was having an oil leak on my Camaro, and couldn't tell either... had a mech look at it, and while I was there, he said see this... and put his finger into the pan and the pushed up (It had rotted from the northern salt.. I was from Wisconsin).. he said not good.. you need a new pan.. I drove it home and its been parked since... in fact its up for sale, because I can't drive 4 cars.. lol.

NBM
    99 TA

shampoo the oilpan, get it clean as can be... drive it for a day and then re check. It will probably be alot more obvious where the leak is coming from

Whenever you buy a used GM car, especially from a non-GM dealer, you should get it checked by another shop or bring a mechanic to the lot with you. Important to check the underbody for leaks and other stuff. The last couple of Firebirds I've purchased, I always brought a mechanic friend with me who took it for a drive and did a visual inspection inside and out (and underneath).

Btw, is that a second spoiler you have attached overtop the regular spoiler on the red TA?

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

It looks like there's oil on the radiator support bottom too, is there an oil cooler on this car mounted in front of the radiator? I'd say look up there as well.

I would say if there IS an oil cooler, look at that for sure. There seems to be a very hard leak (probably a pressure line) and it definitely looks like its coming from the radiator arear (where a cooler would be located). Check that out.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Zapper2003 View Post
    It looks like there's oil on the radiator support bottom too, is there an oil cooler on this car mounted in front of the radiator? I'd say look up there as well.

I would say if there IS an oil cooler, look at that for sure. There seems to be a very hard leak (probably a pressure line) and it definitely looks like its coming from the radiator arear (where a cooler would be located). Check that out.
    I think you mean the K member. My car had a leaky timing cover and it got all over the K member below.

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

Yeah, you're right. My perspective was off :ughno: But really, it was. Yes, regardless, it is definitely leaking in front of the oil filter, where, hard to say, guesses at best.

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Thumbs up Used Vehicle Inspection before Purchase

Maybe for the price, I test drove it, did an inspection for Accident-bodywork, checked the frame, push the acceleration, checked the alignment..... inspected for the main point... I did notice the oil leak than and they said they will take care of it. After bringing the vehicle home, the major rear squeak was of my utmost cocern and the oil leak laid dormanted in my thoughts until I noticed it big time from the drips in my drive way.

Their lot mechanix is very pleasant in demeanor and knowledge... though the one thing when I brought my vehicle for servicing 2 weeks ago... I mentioned the engine entail a whizzy noise when I turned on the AC........ he changed the belt.

When I picked up the vehicle, I noticed the same noise without the AC turned on.....it hit me that the noise is coming from the steering fluid pump.. I added steering fluid and the noise disinerated.... this somewhat question my belief in the mechanix... though I received a new belt from it.

Here's the biggest thing, when he was replacing my sway bar link, he should have noticed that oil and taken care of it.... I believe it was more than evident and visually attention driven.....

Correct you are with the advice......despite the case, you are always taking your chances with a used car.

I will share my finding with you and inspect his work upon the repair. This is the last week that the vehicle is under engine/transmission warranty. Every thing must be repair on that vehicle or I will see hole in my pocket for the repairs.

Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by apache View Post
    Whenever you buy a used GM car, especially from a non-GM dealer, you should get it checked by another shop or bring a mechanic to the lot with you. Important to check the underbody for leaks and other stuff. The last couple of Firebirds I've purchased, I always brought a mechanic friend with me who took it for a drive and did a visual inspection inside and out (and underneath).

Btw, is that a second spoiler you have attached overtop the regular spoiler on the red TA?

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Thumbs up Thank you

The timing cover huh? Hell, that sounds proper too. I will double check that..... this is the last week for the warranty, thus, I better double check they get it right..

Read my previous post...

Thanks for the 411,
    Matthew
    P.S. This is the price to pay for falling in love with a 4th gen fbody.

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    I think you mean the K member. My car had a leaky timing cover and it got all over the K member below.

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Thumbs up Before the Oil Pan

Thanks for the input.. I will let you know my finding..... Read my previous post on my game plan for this week and about the lot mechanic.

thanks good buddy!
    Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by Zapper2003 View Post
    Yeah, you're right. My perspective was off :ughno: But really, it was. Yes, regardless, it is definitely leaking in front of the oil filter, where, hard to say, guesses at best.

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Red face Couldn't Pass Up.........

I will do this, after I get the used car lot mechanic to troubleshoot and repair the problem. This is the last week of warranty............ it is necessary I do this to make sure the problem is fix once I pick it up.... from the looks of it, I doubt the mechanic will clean the mess.... More likely he will imprint greasy oil finger all over the car from the repair. This is my biggest pet peeve when it comes to mechanics... they don't give a shit about your vehicle... in this case, your used vehicle.

Poor TA.....

Thanks man,
    Matthew
    P.S. You have a Navy blue one huh? .... that blue, black or white is what I really wanted... though the price for this one, I couldn't give up for the interior and exterior was super good for a 2000 model... Hey, I noticed just last week, the 2000 does not have the back seat netting and hard plastic covering like my 2001 model.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleLs1 View Post
    shampoo the oilpan, get it clean as can be... drive it for a day and then re check. It will probably be alot more obvious where the leak is coming from

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Hey.... Orange

You have a pretty appealing color to your vehicle... good choice of color, though you need to get at least a 2001 or 2002 TA which will look HOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT in that color

Mattttttttttttttttttttttt

black
    2002 WS6

Its been traced to the front so now trace it up, it could from the oil cooler is so equiped or it could be from the power steering, that would explain the spread, if it was engine oile and yua re checking the level reularly you should see a drop in level. Check around any hoses and fittings including the steering rack. give the oil a quick sniff, as silly as that sounds it will tell you right away if its engine or not.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

What the hell did you do to your red T/A?? Is that a un-painted body kit and a double spoiler?? seriously
    Last edited by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn; 08-12-2007 at 08:51 PM.

Thread Information