Red
    1996 Trans Am WS6

Leaking fuel from rear of car! HELP!

I did a search and found a couple of similar threads but none that matched my problem exactly. I have a '96 ws6. After I get out of the car from a drive I smell gas. I have looked under the rear of the car and can see that it is dripping in two places. It seems to be coming off of the sheild connected to the fuel tank. When I tap on the sheild it splatters.

What could be the cause of my problem and has anyone else had the same problem and found a fix for it? From what i can gather by searching the other threads is either it's the O-rings on the fuel tank or the filler neck may be loose...

Could this pose as a threat as far as fuel igniting or anything that should keep me from driving my car till I can have this fixed

Thanks in advance
    Ryan

black
    2002 WS6

Any leaking fuel is a major issue and should get fixed asap that and leaking fuel is waster fuel bith equal potentialy expensive. Best thing to do is to check all hosees and fititngs, sounds like some thing has rotted and cracked. Other possibly having to drop the tank, it should be potetially easy fix, If it is a fuel line makes sure you get one rated for fuel injection.

black
    98 Camaro

your gonna have to lift the car or put it on jack stands, then look under and find the highest point around the tank that fuel is running down from. check the fuel lines coming from the tank also. if the tank must come out it will be a hell of a job. i just did one on a 94 firebird and i had to drop the rear end and remove the muffler.

remember, if you can't see a line or something... use a flashlight... not a lighter... just thought I'd throw that in there incase

Red
    1996 Trans Am WS6

Thanks for the advice, I am having it fixed monday. I don't have a lift to do it myself..Thanks again

Ryan

Blue
    1998 Trans am

tank removal

Quote Originally Posted by tdking112 View Post
    your gonna have to lift the car or put it on jack stands, then look under and find the highest point around the tank that fuel is running down from. check the fuel lines coming from the tank also. if the tank must come out it will be a hell of a job. i just did one on a 94 firebird and i had to drop the rear end and remove the muffler.
    I am removing my tank to install a racing fuel pump I have got to the point where everything is loose but the neck of the tank is hitting when i bring the right side down it seems to me that all i have to do is remove the right rear spring to let it go to the right to clear the throat of the tank i would hope like hell I would not have to drop the rear end my mech says you would just have to remove the muffler and pipes and remove the back two suspension bars and it should come out GM sucks for making this this complicated!

Thread Information