Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

leaking fuel cap and fuel smell

Hi guys. I replaced my fuel cap in my 98 TA with a locking type one. I bought it at autozone. The cap is brand new and it leaks everytime when I fill the tank up. I didnt have this problem with the old one. I noticed that the small metal clapper type valve inside the fuel neck was stuck open. I'm not sure if this could be part of the problem but is there any way of fixing the metal piece?

Also anyone had the same problem with locking caps on 98 models? If I look at the old one there is a slight diference in the plastic tabs. The cap feels tight when I secure it but it leaks out I guess when I drive. I can see the fuel neck wet too.

Lastly when im driving I can smell a small hint of fuel. If I open the hood with the engine off I can smell a bit too but I cant see a leak. Any suggestions. My car has 92k miles. No CEL or codes. Thank you.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

If the valve is stuck open, then possibly the spring went bad. You may have to replace the valve but I dunno if that is part of the filler tube that clamps to the tank. Put the old cap back on and see if the odor goes away. But I forsee you dropping the tank and replacing the filler neck.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

great that sounds like fun. The gasket on the old cap broke so I can't use it. Do they sell the gasket by itself?

If that the case of the filler neck I will do it when I change my fuel pump. Is getting close to 11 yrs and is whinning. I'm going to replace it soon.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    great that sounds like fun. The gasket on the old cap broke so I can't use it. Do they sell the gasket by itself?

If that the case of the filler neck I will do it when I change my fuel pump. Is getting close to 11 yrs and is whinning. I'm going to replace it soon.
    Not to my knowledge about the gasket. The parts store may sell you another cap altogether.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

yeah but is the same brand. I know it will leak. I guess ill have to go OEM but they dont make it lock type

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Welp, here is another idea...when you drop the tank to do the pump, use the new cap for the new/replacement filler tube and see if you still have the odor? Can't hurt.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

yup

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 (M6)

Any updates on the gas odor? My ride smells like gas when i stop at lights and shut the engine off. WOT and normal driving is no problem. Any ideas what would cause the smell? Gas cap?

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Are you getting any SES lights? I have heard stories that the key slot causes a leak, thus resulting in a fuel odor and EVAP issue.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Jay I have a spare one that I picked up for $15 if you want it?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Jay I have a spare one that I picked up for $15 if you want it?
    thanks scoot but what i ended up doing is finding a gasket that fits close to the one in the cap. I trimmed it some to make it fit and it works fine. I stopped from filling the car up to the neck too. Its been good for like a year now.

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 (M6)

No lights.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

So you still have the odor? Are your injectors original? I only ask since I have read that some of the earlier F-bodies were known for "swallowing" water around the injector O-rings causing engine failures.

Navy Blue Metallic

I feel so F'ing stupid.......I never checked the date

BTW, Jay where/what cap did you get because I can find a locking cap for our cars anywhere?

I think I've been hit twice in the last 4 months. I've also had stuff taken from my other 2 cars and the sad thing is I live across from the Asst Chief of Police.

If I ever catch the bastards some fingers are going to get broke, maybe even do nut check like in a "Training Day" to get my point across.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I feel so F'ing stupid.......I never checked the date

BTW, Jay where/what cap did you get because I can find a locking cap for our cars anywhere?

I think I've been hit twice in the last 4 months. I've also had stuff taken from my other 2 cars and the sad thing is I live across from the Asst Chief of Police.

If I ever catch the bastards some fingers are going to get broke, maybe even do nut check like in a "Training Day" to get my point across.
    I bought mine from autozone but i had make some adjustments since they don't have it listed for 98 cars. The ones they have are for 99-02. I guess it has to do with the metal tank vs the plastic tank. I will have to press it in really hard for it to go in. I started to look at the OEM cap and the locking one and i noticed the tabs were alittle different. I used a file and kept filling until it went in smoothly. Then I had the leak issue but I was topping off to the neck of the tank. I found a gasket close to the one in the new gas cap. I trimmed the gasket so is half the size and put it behind the lock cap gasket one. It has worked like a charm.

here is the one i bought:
    http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...32_13324_5269_

See the plastic triangle on the sides? Grab a file and file some of the plastic on the top until it fits in nicely.

Navy Blue Metallic

thx

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 (M6)

cammed goat: Still have the odor. I think the injectors are stock. Hard to tell. The more I look the more small mods and handy work from the previous owner(s) I see. I notices that there is no heat shield between the tank and muffler. Could the muffler be boiling my gas and causing excessive pressure.

Also, think it may be the cap. It is aftermarket and doesn't click as solidly as I would expect. Still clicks though.

The odor only comes up when stopping at lights and after parking in the garage. Never when the car is cool or cold. I opened the cap and it did release some pressure. Not a lot so I think the vent is working and cap is sealing, but not sure. Could it be the lack of a heat shield. Fuel tank is metal btw.

Thread Information