pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

leaking antifreeze, answer not found in search..help

I'm having a problem with a leaking waterpump. This is a 2002 Z28 with 134,000 miles. I did some searching on here, and found a few common things people talk about.

A. could be weep hole leaking

B. could be seal leaking

C. could be gasket leaking

MY QUESTIONS:

1. I know what the gasket is, but when people say "the seal" are they in fact talking about the gasket or is it something totally different? (are the gasket and seal the same thing?)

2. Can anyone post a pic of this "weep hole" and/or tell exactly where it is? All I can tell by looking is that the water pump is leaking at the bottom.

3. If it's coming out of the weep hole, does that mean a new water pump is what's required to fix it?

I figured it was the gasket, but everyone keeps talking about this "weep hole"

Thanks in advance for all the help, Cory

black
    95 camaro

Just replace water pump

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Most every belt driven water pump has both seals and gaskets..

The seals are around the prop shaft and keep anti-freeze from leaking along the prop shaft.

When those go bad coolant will leak from the pump body weep hole indicating a bad water pump.

If the gasket is bad, coolant can leak from between the pump body and it's mateing surface on the engine.

If the gasket ONLY is what is leaking you can usually replace it with a new gasket and reuse the pump.
    Last edited by Smittro; 01-08-2012 at 11:00 AM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post

The seals are around the prop shaft and keep anti-freeze from leaking along the prop shaft.

When those go bad coolant will leak from the pump body weep hole indicating a bad water pump.

If the gasket is bad, coolant can leak from between the pump body and it's mateing surface on the engine.

If the gasket ONLY is what is leaking you can usually replace it with a new gasket and reuse the pump.
    Thanks, that helps quite a bit actually.

I guess my remaining question is.....where exactly is this weep hole?

It LOOKS like it might just be leaking out from the bottom of the pump at the gasket, however I'm not sure and I don't even know where this weep hole is. If by some chance it was just the gasket, I would be thrilled. I don't have much extra $ for a new water pump.

pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post

Thanks, that helps quite a bit actually.

I guess my remaining question is.....where exactly is this weep hole?

It LOOKS like it might just be leaking out from the bottom of the pump at the gasket, however I'm not sure and I don't even know where this weep hole is. If by some chance it was just the gasket, I would be thrilled. I don't have much extra $ for a new water pump.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

It sounds like the pump simply needs replaced. If you are not sure where it is leaking from and just have to know, rinse off the front of the engine and blow it dry before starting the car and watching for the leak. Unfortunately, the air moving through the engine compartment as you drive the car and/or from the fans running will blow leaking fluid all over the place and often makes it difficult to locate the source. After the engine comes up to temp shut it down and keep watching for the leak as the residual pressure in the cooling system may continue to push fluid out. A small mirror and flashlight will assist you in locating the leak. Just stay away from the belts while the engine is running.

pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

Thanks, will do.

Thread Information