knocker sensor help?

I have a 2001 camaro z28 and I recently washed my engine bay after reading online that it would not affect any of my sensors by doing so. A week or so after however, I received a predator diagnostic code of P0327 Knock sensor 1, circuit, low input. I have been calling around and the knock sensor is available to me locally and also readilly on the net. Could someone please tell me where this is located? All I have been told is that is on the engine block. I don't know if there is one or two or if it is on the passenger side or driver side, top, or bottom? Also, can I drive the care to work until I am able to replace the sensor? A online guy that I actually was able to talk to said I shouldn't wait the 3 days to receive it from him because of the mechanics of what the knocker sensor does i.e. gasoline regulation, cylinders etc. and the damage of what could happen by not replacing it immediately. Would someone give me some advice please? Thank you in advance.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

The knock sensor is under the valley cover which is between the 2 heads. You have to remove the intake manifold to access the valley cover. I would recommend not driving it until you get the sensor replaced. You would be rolling the dice by driving it without the knock sensor functioning.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

silver
    98 camaro z28 m6

Also would like to mention that sensor will be the one in the front! Don't over tighten it.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yeah, like was said before you'll have to pull the intake to replace it. Be careful not to break off the oil pressure sending unit on the back of the block. The brake booster hose is what will usually hang on it and break it.

This is the exact reason I tell people not to wash their engine bay with a garden hose. Most people never have an issue but it only takes once to create a lot of work for yourself. I just use a wet rag with simple green and set aside part of an afternoon.

Thank you Y2K PewterSS and fast enough z28. I called into work tonight so I can fix the problem tomorrow. You were absolutely correct ORION, I used a garden hose to clean the engine bay after reading it would cause no problems on the net, like a moron. I appreciate all your advice. This web site is a great forum. If any of you have any additional advice for my project tomorrow it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

well, I wouldn't really call it being a moron. Tons of people use that method with no problems. I just personally don't agree with it. Todays cars are different than the older cars because they have some much electrical crap on them. I just don't agree with running water on the engine.

Read the intake swap at ls1howto.com. It'll walk you step by step through taking the intake off. Piece of cake really. I can yank mine in just a few minutes after having done it several times. Pay close attention to the torque sequence and torque specs. The specs for the intake bolts are in inch lb's and not foot lb's. 44 in lb's the first pass and 89 in lbs the second pass. Converted it's like 3.xxx ft/lbs the first pass and 7.xxxx ft/lb's the second pass. Don't strip those.
    Other than that find the oil sender on the drivers side back of the block before sliding the intake out. It'll be a black piece sticking up just behind the intake. When you start sliding the intake forward you'll have to work the booster hose around it or you'll break it. I know because I've done it. Another tip I have is for the back bolts of the intake. Due to the cowl being there you won't be able to pull out about 3 of the back bolts for the intake. What I do is pull up on them a little bit and wrap a piece of tape around them to keep them from sliding back down. This will hold the bolts up so you don't snag them on stuff pulling the intake forward.
    Knock sensors get torqued to 15 ft/lb's.
    I have torque specs stickied at the top of the general help section. Maybe print those off and hang them in the garage.
    Good luck and post back up with the results. If I think of anything else before I hit the sack I'll post back up.

Orion,
    Thank you for your advice. I will report back on my progress. Go Horsepower!!! Thanks.

Thread Information