Thread: knock sensor

black
    1998 TRANS AM

knock sensor

hello, I was wondering if anyone knows about knock sensors. my 1998 TA check engine light came on and I took it to autozone and they checked it with the hand held computer, and said it read knock sensor code. is this serious? my car runs fine no knocks or overheating or anything.

Black
    2002 T/A WS.6 -- ASC#12

It needs to be replaced, and is relatively common on LS motors (more for trucks/suv's)

Just remove the intake and the plate under it and you can replace them, get both b/c while your there you might as well replace them both.

If it goes a while without being replaced it can snowball to other things, and also the light will always be on and you wont know if something else goes wrong, and then you end up having to replace more and more things at one time costing more money.

black
    1998 Camaro SS

my tuner told me that i should replace mine in my 98 ss even tho there is nothing wrong with them. He said that especially in 98's they are really sensitive for some reason

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by jmatt07 View Post
    my tuner told me that i should replace mine in my 98 ss even tho there is nothing wrong with them. He said that especially in 98's they are really sensitive for some reason
    you can get the newer style sensors and harness. I'll look up the part numbers for you. I think I paid ~$90 for mine when I upgraded them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky 13 View Post
    It needs to be replaced, and is relatively common on LS motors (more for trucks/suv's)

Just remove the intake and the plate under it and you can replace them, get both b/c while your there you might as well replace them both.

If it goes a while without being replaced it can snowball to other things, and also the light will always be on and you wont know if something else goes wrong, and then you end up having to replace more and more things at one time costing more money.
    Possibly dumb question. But when you say replace them BOTH. What other then the knock sensor are you talking about replacing? Do you mean replace the intake and plate under it? Or the knock sensor and something else? Or are they the same thing?

2000 Trans Am

i believe there are 2 knock sensors

Yes, there are two knock sensors - both under the intake. Even if you only get a code for one needing replacement I'd replace both, along with the harness.

1994 Z28 MQBM
    2001 SS #1629 LPM

Yes because you dont want to take the intake off more than you need to. be careful of the vac tube for the power booster, it will snap the oil pressure switch.

Thread Information