black
    02 z28 vert M6

K&N oil filter harm?

soo...im cleaning my K/N air filter now...i didnt wanna put to much oil in the filter but i was j/w if theres hardly any oil in the filter will it harm the engine anyway??

Plus i wanna do the free mod of cutting the air box and i was j/w if it was worth it or just save up for the Flow pac n buy a Cat back LM?

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

If you don't put enough oil on the filter, it won't trap particles properly. Too much and some oil will wind up on your IAT and MAF sensors causing them to not measure properly.
    Last edited by GatorSS; 01-05-2007 at 06:28 PM.

just lighly spray one side - the intake side and your done - it's not rocket science.

black
    02 z28 vert M6

eh, yeh....its just im tryna take EVERY lil step and anything of this car done right....i dont wanna fuck it up just a tiny bit......

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Lightly spray it, then let it dry for at least a few hours in good drying conditions. Then physically look the whole thing over and make sure it is coated red and there are no white spots or over oiled spots. If there are white spots, spray that area again LIGHTLY and let it dry again for a decent time. If you see any oversray that get a rag and soak it up. I always let my filters dry near a heating vent for at least 6-8 hours before I re-install and drive again. Overcautious but I know I won't have any problems.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Better safe than sorry.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Hurley711 View Post
    Lightly spray it, then let it dry for at least a few hours in good drying conditions. Then physically look the whole thing over and make sure it is coated red and there are no white spots or over oiled spots. If there are white spots, spray that area again LIGHTLY and let it dry again for a decent time. If you see any oversray that get a rag and soak it up. I always let my filters dry near a heating vent for at least 6-8 hours before I re-install and drive again. Overcautious but I know I won't have any problems.
    What do you mean by DRY? How does oil dry? I don't have any experience with K&N Filter oil!

White
    99 Z28

I clean it, shake the water of, let dry for 30 min or so, then spray it down till its red, wipe the edges, install and go.

I haven't even cleaned mine yet, I shook it out but not clean. They last like a bazillion miles between cleanings.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

You should'nt have to clean it more than once every 50,000 miles. I've read some posts where the guys are cleaning theirs all the time-it's not necessary.

How the hell? With the FRA, my Holley Powershot is coated with dirt within 1k miles. I live in FL, so no dust storms here.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Lightly oil means just enough to turn the cotton red. In other words dont drench the sum biatch.....let it set for a spell (like a couple of hours)...or as some folks say "dry" ...this allows the oil to soak into the cotton good and distribute itself evenly.....you shouldn't see any droplets of red oil...it should all be soaked in the cotton evenly is what your after friend....
    This is my signature. It is mine. Nobody else has one like it.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

The K+N filter will still work coated with dust, they still flow great like that. That's the advantage over paper filters.

No I mean, my filter has a strip of BLACKNESS to it and its name isnt Shaft.
    99 T/A M6
    LS6 intake, Hooker Coated Long Tubes, Y-pipe w/1 carsound cat, Hooker Catback, MTi Clear Lid, FRA w/ Holley Power Shot, ASP crank pulley, 1.8 RRs, 3.73s w/TA girdle & Eaton Differential, Granatelli SFCs, Pro 5.0 Shifter, LS6 Clutch, Diablo, TByrnes Maf Ends (in winter), All the Free Mods

Thread Information