Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

White
    98 ls1 Formula

Cool K&N intake kit or Hight flow filter with ram air

Hi everyone i just bought my first 98 ls1 Formula and im very proud i did. It is already moded and tuned with juice. One thing i would like to do is add a better Throttle Body and an MAF but i dont know what to do with the intake. Right now it has an SLP lid fram paper filter and a ram air box kit its like a scoop under the bumper, infront of the radiator. Should i get an K&N intake kit and take out the ram air box or get a better box like the FTP and high flow filter for it?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

If it is plastic that ram air is a ssra(super sucker ram air) nothing wrong with it, nor your lid, or your current filter. Maf is able to flow well past what you can put down. You could upgrade to a ls-6 intake manifold which would require you to delete the egr system unless you find a slp modified one with egr in it. Look up shaner throttle bodies everyone who has had there's ported seems to be happy.

BANGIN GEARS>STAB N STEER BLK2KSS's Avatar

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

Quote Originally Posted by oborony View Post
    Hi everyone i just bought my first 98 ls1 Formula and im very proud i did. It is already moded and tuned with juice. One thing i would like to do is add a better Throttle Body and an MAF but i dont know what to do with the intake. Right now it has an SLP lid fram paper filter and a ram air box kit its like a scoop under the bumper, infront of the radiator. Should i get an K&N intake kit and take out the ram air box or get a better box like the FTP and high flow filter for it?
    keep the intake setup you have. the k&n intake kit is trash. the ftp lid is also trash, flows good but is made of thin plastic that cracks easy. get a hi flow filter for that slp lid and be done with it. the stock maf is fine also.
    HONDAS ARE LIKE TAMPONS... EVERY PUSSY HAS ONE!
    **PHK**

White
    98 ls1 Formula

Thanks guys. It is the (super sucker ram air) butt the front scoope peace is craked pritty bad . do they sell just the front peace? if not i could just fix it up. So here is what happend my check engin light was on after i took it to a carwash. So i whent to my tuner he hooked it up and there was no air respons so he thought it was the MAF not responding, so i ordered an SLP MAF the 85mm. it was friday so i call back monday they found out an O2 sensor wier was blown bc the O2 sensor was loose and it got wet so they fixed it i payed 60 bucks no big deal. but now i got an slp 85mm maf that was like 200 bucks sitting around for nothing. the car has a BBK SSi intake manafold im thinking i order a 85mm BBK Throttle body. What i would like to do is fix or replace the super sucker ram air, add the high flow filter, add the slp maf and bbk throttle body. what you guys think good idea or not worth it for the money?
    Last edited by oborony; 02-23-2010 at 10:12 AM.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

If you port out the bbk to 85mm(prevent bottle necking) then it would be worth it for future mods like a cam. Problem is some people need a tune for the slp maf and if that is the case it would be a waste of money for the 1-2hp you made with the maf.

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

Just get a k&n filter and youll be fine

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by jetaws6 View Post
    Just get a k&n filter and youll be fine
    you givin bad info buddy. k&n does not filter worth a damn. paper filter is better

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

My experience with filters, 2x each at the drag strip with my WS6, the trap speed was no siginificant difference between: no filter, clean K&N, clean AC Delco.

K&N works wonders on other setups, but nobody here will tell you they do much (if anything) for our F-bodies.

White
    98 ls1 Formula

yeah it has all that crap. its got a custum built cam probly the bigest you can go for it. has a full exhaust with cut out, timing tunner, valve springs rods pistons rebuilt cylinders, bbk manafold and thats all the mods as far as i know. othere then the nos. they guy i bought it from said it has like 440 some horse. and over 500 when sprayd. the throttle is polished inside. i think the slp maf and the throtle and high flow filter will help it all though the paper ones do filter better i looks like to me

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z View Post
    you givin bad info buddy. k&n does not filter worth a damn. paper filter is better
    K&N is better then a paper filter what makes you say that its not. Most if not all of racing uses k&N filters anything from circle track to micro to drag racing. Also when you hear about people saying that K&N's let more dirt in those people are simply wrong. Every dirt track car uses a K&N filter simply because they are the best.
    Last edited by jetaws6; 02-24-2010 at 04:36 AM.

Silver
    2002 Z28

yeah it has all that crap. its got a custum built cam probly the bigest you can go for it. has a full exhaust with cut out, timing tunner, valve springs rods pistons rebuilt cylinders, bbk manafold and thats all the mods as far as i know. othere then the nos. they guy i bought it from said it has like 440 some horse. and over 500 when sprayd. the throttle is polished inside. i think the slp maf and the throtle and high flow filter will help it all though the paper ones do filter better i looks like to me
    Stock MAF is good for at least 600 RWHP...

NBM
    2002 Camaro

K&N is better then a paper filter what makes you say that its not. Most if not all of racing uses k&N filters anything from circle track to micro to drag racing. Also when you hear about people saying that K&N's let more dirt in those people are simply wrong. Every dirt track car uses a K&N filter simply because they are the best.
    I run a fram in my car and I wont never put another K&N in my car. I get alot less buildup on the MAF and TB with my fram, the K&N always seemed to have crud on everything. There isnt any power difference between the two either, also I can buy 5 frams for the price of 1 K&N.
    02 Camaro
    PRC Stg 2.5 5.3's, Futral F14, PP Typhoon intake, True duals, Performabuilt tranny, & 3500 convertor, HSW plate kit.
    *Old Time* 10.90@ 125mph

BANGIN GEARS>STAB N STEER BLK2KSS's Avatar

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

Quote Originally Posted by NoscamaroSS View Post
    I run a fram in my car and I wont never put another K&N in my car. I get alot less buildup on the MAF and TB with my fram, the K&N always seemed to have crud on everything. There isnt any power difference between the two either, also I can buy 5 frams for the price of 1 K&N.
    sounds like you may have over oiled... personally i like k&n and have had zero problems with em but i guess to each his own

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

no way dude. i understand some racers use k&n but keep in mind they also go thru their engines alot more than our daily drivers. take your kn out and hold it up to light. you will see bright holes-that is where dirt gets thru. its an old and obsolete way to filter air. synthetic media filters are 10x better than kn and a paper filter is better also. you cant tell me a drop in kn filter gave you enough power you could feel it. that is your imagination. also another trick-smear a lil bit of wheel bearing grease right under that kn filter and run it for an oil change. pull the filter out and look at the dirt on the grease. dont worry, your engine wont suck in a small smearing of grease

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

What kind of cam details! What product is that timing tuner? I guess I would find a machine shop and see what you could do about opening it up, if you look on tech you can port the runners if in the very least to get rid of the casting marks.

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

no way dude. i understand some racers use k&n but keep in mind they also go thru their engines alot more than our daily drivers. take your kn out and hold it up to light. you will see bright holes-that is where dirt gets thru. its an old and obsolete way to filter air. synthetic media filters are 10x better than kn and a paper filter is better also. you cant tell me a drop in kn filter gave you enough power you could feel it. that is your imagination. also another trick-smear a lil bit of wheel bearing grease right under that kn filter and run it for an oil change. pull the filter out and look at the dirt on the grease. dont worry, your engine wont suck in a small smearing of grease
    The "greese" your talking about is when people over oil the filter when they clean it. I work with a man who sells this stuff along with lucas oil products and other racing products and he put it the best way possible. People who sit on the forums all day probably dont know as much as they think until they really dive into the products.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

The "greese" your talking about is when people over oil the filter when they clean it. I work with a man who sells this stuff along with lucas oil products and other racing products and he put it the best way possible. People who sit on the forums all day probably dont know as much as they think until they really dive into the products.
    your not listening to me. you physically take some wheel bearing grease and put it under your airfilter on the bottom of your air box. this is to prove it will let dirt through the filter because it will hit the grease and stick. and lucas isnt the best either.

o btw: i dont sit on forums all day, i am gm technician that works on these cars every day. trust me i know what i am talking about

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

Ok whatever you say

Silver
    2002 Z28

Under the air filter would be pre filtered air... wouldn't you want to put it on top of the filter??

your not listening to me. you physically take some wheel bearing grease and put it under your airfilter on the bottom of your air box. this is to prove it will let dirt through the filter because it will hit the grease and stick. and lucas isnt the best either.

o btw: i dont sit on forums all day, i am gm technician that works on these cars every day. trust me i know what i am talking about

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

no... the oil on them pieces of junk make for dirt cakes and very little airflow... people who are sponsored by K&N use them... i have several friends that race on a dirt track (grand view speedway) near me and none use K&N...

Thread Information