Red
    1993 Pontiac Trans Am

Just a rant about styrofoam in my car!

Welp here it goes. I just wanted to rant a bit about what I found. So I'm taking this weekend to work some bugs out of my trans am. I'm installing H.I.D. lights in the fog lights ( I know I don't have to take the whole front bumper off) I noticed some red over spray on the glass fog lights so I want to take the thing apart. I get the front bumper off, and to my surprise..... *cry* I find Styrofoam. Did some cheap auto repair shop put this in place of the real deal? Is this from the factory? *cry* "I have Styrofoam between me and millions of idiot drivers?" I am very dismayed. Is there an after market kit I can buy that is made of something a bit more "manly?" Maybe a medium rare prime rib version of this Styrofoam blasphemy? Perhaps one made out of bacon? Sorry I just felt like sharing a bit of pain. Thank you for wasting your time reading...... God Damn look at the size of the picture! lol

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Yes, it is factory. There is styrofoam between the front bumper cover and actual bumper beam. It acts as an absorber for light impacts as well as maintaining the shape of the front bumper cover. If you look under the rear of the car, you should also see some styrofoam above the exhaust outlets.

Red
    1993 Pontiac Trans Am

well then....*still crying* I guess I'm gonna clean it and make it all shiny.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

I've seen a steel tubing replacement

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Like Rich said it also helps the cover keep its shape/rigidity. You can change it out for aftermarket tubular supports but unless you're building a race car i would leave it alone. Looks odd that color, all i've ever seen was black ones

Red
    1993 Pontiac Trans Am

Steel tubing? It's tempting but I don't plan on racing, and methinks it may be a smidgen heavier than the Styrofoam. I cleaned up and replaced the old yeller fog lights with the new H.I.D system and put it all back together. Some how, I feel much better not seeing that "Ice chest" thing mounted on the front. Now I gatta figure out why my side mirrors don't function. (both of them.) (yeppers not the fuse.)
    Just a little history, I bought this car for $1000.00 bucks. It was sitting in the front yard of this guys house for years. The tags expired in 2007. It didn't start, had 4 flat tires, and two inches of dirt in places I didn't think dirt could go. I had the poor thing towed back to my house, paid $625.00 to get the registration up to date (DMV waived all the late fees!) fixed the tire beads, washed, clay bar, and waxed it up. Lost about 25 lbs in dirt, dumped the old fuel, and replaced the fuel pump. New plugs and it started right up with an awesome roar! I just about pissed myself when it passed California smog! I'm pretty impressed when I drive it. It does "lay tracks" when I floor it, but not long ones. It needs some work still. Tomorrow, I'll install the H.I.D. headlights, and fix the side mirrors.
    After all is said and done, I'd like to have her painted or wrapped. It used to be blue, now it's red. I'd like her to feel like a new car. Suggestions on body color would be cool. (I have the light grey interior.) I saw a very popular young musician recently driving his car and was amazed. (won't mention his name cuz I think he's really a girl.) ( sounds like beaver.) His car was wrapped in solid chrome. Looked pretty cool. Opinions? let me know. I'm partial to either the chrome wrap, or bright yellow with black trimming.
    May I add that you guys, and gals, are awesome on this forum. I hope to be a long time user here. (way cool people.)
    Last edited by elegantp; 05-05-2012 at 06:44 PM.
    1993 Pontiac Trans Am 5.7 ltr; No mods...nothing yet... But I stole the car for $1000 So I'm fixin her up.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

That's what we're here for.

extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Always nice to bring a car back like that
    Have fun with it
    And i say nay on the chrome wrap, yellow could look good if you do it right

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Op you'll hear a lot of us say to the wrap. Only Beaber fans do stuff like that.

If you're going to paint go with something you like.

Cobalt Blue from the Vettes is an awesome color.

I love a burgundy red (I had a 96 FB that color)

You got a lot of options, just depends on the amount of $$ you have to drop down.

Glad to see another F body being restored.

Red
    1993 Pontiac Trans Am

ahhhh done with this weekends work on the TA. Got all my H.I.D. lights installed and adjusted, they look awesome. I can't believe how yellow the factory lights are. Ok so here is a question. I read alot that H.I.D. lights don't like to be "switched." Does that mean operated by a switch? How else would they be operated? I hooked up the headlights normally and it's switched. The fog lights as well. Did I miss something or did my bacon injections get the best of me again?
    Thank you for the input on paint/wraps. Ohhh I love the cobalt blue idea. Just out of curiosity, why no wrap?

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

SOM Sunset orange metallic. It is my second favorite color on these cars. Can someone with some SOM pics laying around post em up for this guy to see? Obviously, pewter is my fav. Hides dirt really well, Gives good reflection. Black stands out good as a contrast color, red too.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

The whole HID's dont like to be switched is more for high beams. When you have to constanly switching them on/off. As color suggestions I will say red, blue or black. Do yourself and the car a favor DO NOT wrap it chrome! Nice job restoring it!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Here is what mine looked like.

Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Red
    1993 Pontiac Trans Am

Thank you. It's drivable! Yay! It's also clean as all hell. I'm gonna go buy me some wheels and I'll post some pix.

Thread Information