1986 S-10

Exclamation Just looking for an opinion

Well I plan on building an 80's S-10 blazer and putting an LS1 in it. My goals are good HP and decent MPG if that makes any since. I figure an LS1 in this vehicle would make 90% of the power I could handle in stock form. I do not have a single part at this moment so wonder how you would go about getting everything.

1. I could go find a donor car and get the engine, wiring harness, ECU, and transmission (by the way I want a T56, believe that is the manual 6-speed)

2. I could go get a block then get it built for my specifications and order aftermarket wiring harness and ECU. I would still have to find a donor transmission though unless someone has a better idea.

There is probably over 100 ways to kill this horse but wonder what would you do. Again I would probably say my priority is MPG just because this motor stock gives good HP. If I can get both with modifications like say exhaust then its a bonus. I looked and did not see a sub-forum for motor swaps, just corvettes ect, maybe I overlooked it. I will run A/C and power steering ect just in case it makes a difference.

Thanks
    Last edited by scoobysmak; 06-30-2010 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Well I thought I hit the ? mark but guess I hit the ! point by accident on the icon beside the title, sorry

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

What is your budget?

That is the number 1 question in doing a build. Without that, you get the 100 different ways to do this.

#2 question is how experience are you and what access to tools do you have? I'm guessing since you don't know where to start you have very little experience. That's ok, it's your first project and we all have to start some where.

If it was me, I'd get a LS6 crate engine. They are the same size as a LS1 and you get more power. Uses the same accessories, wire harness, and Computer. You can pick up new one for around $3500. A T56 you have a couple of optons, you can get used and do a rebuild or go new. Another thing you will need to consider is the rear. I'm not sure if a Moser 9" will fit on a 80's S-10. But you are going to need to beef it up. you also have another option with the engine. You can probably find LT1 kits for your yr. LT1s still have alot of respect in HP.

Do your research, do ask questions. Make a plan and a budget. Be committed to both.

Good Luck

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

^^^^^^^Agreed^^^^^^^^

1986 S-10

I appreciate the help, budget wise I was wanting to stay under $3500.00 for everything but can go over, max budget would be like $6000.00. My use for the vehicle is to go to car shows, some may be 800 miles each way, the reason for the decent MPG. Every so often I would take it to the drag strip but not serious about my times, just fun to do (the reason to use an LS1 type engine). For tools I can do small stuff, but have no access to a lift or engine stand, plus my neighbors wouldn't like it too much (unfortunately this would matter).

Obviously I need everything, I have seen a complete engine with transmission for $3000 but needed the wiring harness and computer (90K miles, not sure condition). Not sure if this was a good deal or not. The LS6 is an option but wonder if road mileage would suffer Vs an LS1 (this is why I am here to learn, I think the LS6 is a bit bigger but is a bit more efficient?).

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by scoobysmak View Post
    I appreciate the help, budget wise I was wanting to stay under $3500.00 for everything but can go over, max budget would be like $6000.00. My use for the vehicle is to go to car shows, some may be 800 miles each way, the reason for the decent MPG. Every so often I would take it to the drag strip but not serious about my times, just fun to do (the reason to use an LS1 type engine). For tools I can do small stuff, but have no access to a lift or engine stand, plus my neighbors wouldn't like it too much (unfortunately this would matter).

Obviously I need everything, I have seen a complete engine with transmission for $3000 but needed the wiring harness and computer (90K miles, not sure condition). Not sure if this was a good deal or not. The LS6 is an option but wonder if road mileage would suffer Vs an LS1 (this is why I am here to learn, I think the LS6 is a bit bigger but is a bit more efficient?).

i swapped a LS6 in to my bird and have seen no difference in fuel consumption vs my LS1(s)... personally i'd go with the ls6 for more power and at a very close price to the cost of a LS1... you'l' want to check in to what oil pan will work with your truck as well... also the LS6 is the same cubic inch as a LS1 (346)...

1986 S-10

Humm I need to know more about each type LSX series engine. Is there a link to a thread that will give me a breakdown. Also is there a recommended place to get new engines, if I don't go the used route. I used the search feature but not sure what to believe anymore, bad facts here and there.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Google LS1/6 crate engines you'll find a few places.

As far as tools, Look up a place called "Harbor Freight" I wouldn't call them the best tools in the trade but if you are on a budget they have plenty of tools and engine stands that are very affordable for a beginner. They have both store fronts and online.

Like Spaz stated oil pan clearance could be an issue. But placement in an 80's Blazer might not be a big deal. You may have to fab your own engine mounts, LS(X) top plate and a X (80's Blazer Frame) bottom.

Some other advice I've picked up from my project is to break the job down into small tasks. Example - engine, drive train, body (front, sides, rear), interior, wheels & tires, electrical, paint. Try to plan it out. Me I'm going on engine & drive train first, then the rest after. That way if I scratch or ding something I can fix it when I get to the body/paint portion of the project.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

You can get on ebay and get a complete drop out LS1/LS6 and T56 for around $2500-$3500. Then get a of SDPC or another sponser for the Motor mounts, long tubes and other odds and ends that are made specificly for putting ls motors into S10's

Thread Information