Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

just hit 100k last month

Okay guys I was wondering if i need to replace and/or perform a particular maintenance to my car to stay trouble free. Is my DD so i try to do as much preventive maintenance on it. The oil gets chage every 5k with mobil 1 full synthetic, KN oil filter and a can of seafoam in gas tank. I check my air filter every 5k. Every 40k i take it to have the tranny flush. I clean the TB every 10k. I just replaced the coolant in it.

The tensioner seems okay and the belt too. I replaced the fuel pump like 8 months ago because of whinning and is still doing it anyway(lol). I have a Replaced wires and plugs. I put a oil catch can. Any major part or manitenance that I should replace or do?

Stuff like the timing chain, oil pump, water pump, rear end?

The only mods on the car is LS6 intake, Frost mail tune, LCA's, LCA's relocation brackets, air lid, Borla exhaust, Torque arm, SFC, Racetronix fuel pump. Everything is stock.

The only things noticible are:

1. A small oil leak between the tranny and motor. I'm sure is the seal and the oil pan gasket.

2. Rear end leaking by the pinion seal. I kinda look around on how to replace it but is not a big leak and im not sure if i can do it with my current tools.

3. Vibration like a wheel is off balance. I had them rebalanced and is still there. not sure if it is a hub or rear bearing. It kinda feels in the back area.

The pulley i need to replace is the one that adjust the A/C belt. But i can't find that pulley in the auto part stores. Can some one PM me a part number? One more thing, i want to replace the water hoses with new ones. I just drain the coolant replace the hoses and fill it again, right? Thanks.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

i'd replace all the suspension bushings... i didn't see anywhere that you have replaced your fuel filter... replace your valve springs...

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

the filter gets replced every 7k or so. I was inspecting some of the bushings. They are on the menu but i know it could be time consuming if I don't have the right tools.

What about the rear end gear oil? How often should I replace that?

What i have now is this kinda grinding noise with vibrantion that im trying to pinpoint. I checked for excesive play at the front tires but they look good. I tried the same on the rear ones but don't have any play. I'm thinking that I won't get any play on the rear wheels even if they are bad because of the axles. How can I check the axle bearings then? Do I just have wait until they make noise?

last time I pulled the axle shaft it looked like this:

http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/z...8/DSC02205.jpg

If i run my finger on it it feels even but I'm not sure now. If the bearing is bad I will have to get another axle in better shape and replace the bearing. I heard that ppl like using the GM bearings only. If that's the case then I need to order them. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by JayTA98; 11-01-2010 at 05:35 AM.

Thread Information