Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

White
    2001 ws6 Trans AM

Just got new ws6 what do i do?

just got a white 2001 bone stock ws6 been reading alot of forums and decided to post one. just would like to know upgrade i can purchase from exhaust and cat back systems, to air intake, to fun little mods. not really think cam or rear end gear wise but more so little but fun stuff.

got any ideas then help me out

also what oil is best and what tranmission oil should i use in it?

also need new brake pad and thinking bout getting new rotor got any idead just let me know.

thanks for your time.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Welcome!!
    For catback exhaust, a lot of people like the Magnaflow and Borla. Most will say stay away from the Loudmouth catback from SLP.
    If you're gonna do headers, longtubes are the only way to go. Kooks and American Racing if you go stainless. Pacesetter headers are great if that fits your budget better.
    There are plenty of other choices I'm probably forgetting to mention

pewter
    2001 Trans AM WS6

Air lid ( the only thing you should buy from SLP), for rotors the ebay ones are pretty good they sell u slotted and drilled for about 150 or so sometimes with pads, had them for about 2yrs now on my car no more warping like the stock ones do. i got borla adjustable exhaust on my car and like it alot. if you get headers though your gonna need a tune

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by El Toro Loco View Post
    Air lid ( the only thing you should buy from SLP), for rotors the ebay ones are pretty good they sell u slotted and drilled for about 150 or so sometimes with pads, had them for about 2yrs now on my car no more warping like the stock ones do. i got borla adjustable exhaust on my car and like it alot. if you get headers though your gonna need a tune
    I disagree, their line lock is worth the purchase also

Brake pads - Hawk HPS

Oil - Amsoil, Pennzoil Platinum Plus, Mobile 1

Your very first mod on these cars should be Subframe Connectors. UMI.

pewter
    2001 Trans AM WS6

^true i forgot about the line lock that's a good buy as well

white
    2006 chevy silverado

Can you post a picture of your car?

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

For oil I would use Royal Purple. As for exhaust system, the system I have is obx racing lt headers and y pipe with a loud mouth exhaust. Sounds real good. Most people on here will say that with the loudmouth can't sound good but it does. It's also entirely stainless steel and cheaper price than ARH. You should do some shopping around exhaust wise to see what is out there and in your budget and as well as look up sound clips to see if you will like the sound. But ultimately it's up to you so get what you want.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    For oil I would use Royal Purple. As for exhaust system, the system I have is obx racing lt headers and y pipe with a loud mouth exhaust. Sounds real good. Most people on here will say that with the loudmouth can't sound good but it does. It's also entirely stainless steel and cheaper price than ARH. You should do some shopping around exhaust wise to see what is out there and in your budget and as well as look up sound clips to see if you will like the sound. But ultimately it's up to you so get what you want.
    Most people around here will also say stay away from Royal Purple. Its low quality oil

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Most people around here will also say stay away from Royal Purple. Its low quality oil
    Heard this many of times haha, and the tests prove it.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by bluehawk2000 View Post
    Heard this many of times haha, and the tests prove it.
    Out curiousity is there any actual proof of that? I have used both pennzoil and royal purple and I've yet to see a difference in how my Trans Am runs. But if I found some real proof not just opinions I would definately switch back to pennzoil.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 09-04-2010 at 12:03 PM.

red
    2000TA

if you are not lowering the car run a deep pan and a trans cooler ,stock dextron 3 from wally mart will work.get ported and polished throttle body,keep the ls6 intake.do you think you can pass emissions with out cats?how about a good converter?

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by El Toro Loco View Post

Not true. Any car needs a tune, not just ours with a LT addition, if you can live with the SES light on.

Out curiousity is there any actual proof of that? I have used both pennzoil and royal purple and I've yet to see a difference in how my Trans Am runs. But if I found some real proof not just opinions I would definately switch back to pennzoil.
    You won't see a difference in how the car runs due to whatever oil you use, but you will definitely see a difference in how fast your engine wears if you use cheap oil. I've read on here that P Platinum returns the best used oil analysis (OUA) on these engines, so that is what I use.

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

i'd start with that ws6 hood. if you can live without 'em, pull the grilles off when you take the baffles out. next, switch to a K&N air filter to keep out the rain. After that, do at least the throttle body coolant bypass and bumpstop mod, switch to a lid, and you have a streamlined cai for less than $200.

blue
    2002 Camaro Z28

like mentioned above the air box and lid from slp are good. honestly i love having a loudmouth. just makes ur car sound badass and with headers it just sounds better. though i must say stay away from the slp headers. i have their "tuned" length headers on my car. im my opinion it sounds great and i got some nice dyno numbers after a tune but, and i must stress this the clearance on them is horrible. i have about 1.5 inches from the pavement to the headers. so speed bumps, annoying as they are, are even worse. other than that all i can say is i love setting off car alarms going only 30 mph, and i love scaring the shit outta ppl when they hear it roar at wot
    2002 z28-slp cai, slp loudmouth, slp tuned headers, slp 85 mm MAF, slp high flow cats, 3" y-pipe and collectors
    331.6 rwhp/356.9 rwtq

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 NBM SS

I love the white WS6's...hot! cspeich2011 Congrats on the purchase!

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by slpdablueZ28 View Post
    like mentioned above the air box and lid from slp are good. honestly i love having a loudmouth. just makes ur car sound badass and with headers it just sounds better. though i must say stay away from the slp headers. i have their "tuned" length headers on my car. im my opinion it sounds great and i got some nice dyno numbers after a tune but, and i must stress this the clearance on them is horrible. i have about 1.5 inches from the pavement to the headers. so speed bumps, annoying as they are, are even worse. other than that all i can say is i love setting off car alarms going only 30 mph, and i love scaring the shit outta ppl when they hear it roar at wot
    This.

I have a bit over 5'' clearance where my tuned length Hookers come down, and the ORY is a bit under 5'' clearance, which is better than the OE piece.

Maybe I need to lower my car LOL.

White
    2001 ws6 Trans AM

well i would like it to sound as close as to a muscle car as possible i really like the sound of this video clip [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y54SZs-J9Y&feature=related[/ame] have no idea what the set up is. but it sounds nice. also not really understanding the slp lid concept? does it go over a k&n cold air intake or what? not really a car gooru yet but very intrested in them. also looking at headers and catbacks really dont know what though just kinda jumped in it with no idea what im looking for. been looking for a while but not reallly knowing what im looking at.

Any ideas or helpful tips are appreciated,

thanks

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

RP used to be of a good quality. Recent UOA's though show it isn't nearly as good as some of the other brands out there.

There are a lot of extensive and descriptive threads in the forums here showing results. I think a few might even be a sticky.

blue
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    This.

I have a bit over 5'' clearance where my tuned length Hookers come down, and the ORY is a bit under 5'' clearance, which is better than the OE piece.

Maybe I need to lower my car LOL.
    i wish i had clearance like that

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by cspeich2011 View Post
    just got a white 2001 bone stock ws6 been reading alot of forums and decided to post one. just would like to know upgrade i can purchase from exhaust and cat back systems, to air intake, to fun little mods. not really think cam or rear end gear wise but more so little but fun stuff.

got any ideas then help me out

also what oil is best and what tranmission oil should i use in it?

also need new brake pad and thinking bout getting new rotor got any idead just let me know.

thanks for your time.
    welcome to the board, fellow houstonian.

Thread Information