black
    2000 trans am ws6 a4

just bought a 98 ws6.can i spray it?

hello everyone.im new at ls1's but i absolutely love em!anyhoo,ive been looking for a c4 vette because i cant afford a c5.i ended up finding a 98 ws6 on CL for cheap cheap!! bought it 4 days ago and been driving it to work ever since.its got 133xxx miles.its a 6 speed.with a flowmaster.sounds grrrrrrreat.anyway its been in a wreck,salvaged title.it still drives great though.my question is this..after i get around to tuning it up like changing plugs,fluids,the noisey idler pulley etc,do you guys think its still healthy enough for me to add like a 100 shot of juice?just dont want to throw a rod or something.thanks
    Leeroy
    BTW whats up with third gear?want to grind going into it like 40-50% of the time.is it synchros?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Welcome!!
    You should be just fine spraying 100 shot. Also sounds like 3rd synchro is heading south. Any other symptoms with third gear?

black
    2000 trans am ws6 a4

no not really .everything else works pretty good.except for the coolant leak coming from the pasenger side frame rail.are there coolant lines running up the passenger side?for the heater core i guess?anyway,i need to pinpoint and fix that leak.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Yep heater core and hoses are on the passenger side.

you can spray, but would be a good idea to tune the air/fuel to get the best results.

black
    2000 trans am ws6 a4

Quote Originally Posted by neophytal View Post
    you can spray, but would be a good idea to tune the air/fuel to get the best results.
    with a hypertech?my ls1 is pretty mean,but i want to go faster.if i gut the cats,will the check engine light be on all the time?and what does the hypertech do besides change shift points and timing?im new at ls1,s.i just want to know where the best bang for my buck is with a stock 6 speed.im guessing nitrous,but any suggestions will be considered.thanks.
    BTW what do i have to do to get the third gear synchro fixed? does the tranny have to be pulled?i dont even know what tranny i have?!can some one tell me? again..1998 ws6 6 speed.thanks
    Last edited by Leeroyws6; 02-07-2010 at 06:46 PM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by Leeroyws6 View Post
    with a hypertech?my ls1 is pretty mean,but i want to go faster.if i gut the cats,will the check engine light be on all the time?and what does the hypertech do besides change shift points and timing?im new at ls1,s.i just want to know where the best bang for my buck is with a stock 6 speed.im guessing nitrous,but any suggestions will be considered.thanks.
    BTW what do i have to do to get the third gear synchro fixed? does the tranny have to be pulled?i dont even know what tranny i have?!can some one tell me? again..1998 ws6 6 speed.thanks

Yes, the CEL will come on if you delete the CATS

Not sure about Hypertech, contact FROST (Member/tuner/sponsor) for best answers

I have a 98 also so here's my .02 cents for the best bang:

Longtube Headers
    Off Road Y-Pipe
    Mufflers - Some like Magnaflow, some like Flowmasters, you pick what you like, CAT-backs for states that have tough emissions
    LS6 or FAST intake manifold
    Aftermarket Airlid (The only SLP* product that works, avoid other SLP stuff, many members here have a bad taste from SLP)
    LS7 Clutch kit

Before you spray do yourself a huge favor and get Sub Frame Connectors, upgrade suspension, and check your rear end out. Our cars biggest weakness is that 10 bolt rear end.

If you get LT headers, delete EGR and Air system, and get a mail tune by Frost.

Another good piece of advise is to drain all fluids and replace.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 02-08-2010 at 01:45 PM.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

First off, you don't need a tune to run NOS.
    Your trans is a T56 and the trans need to be removed and dissassembled to fix a synchro.

black
    2000 trans am ws6 a4

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    First off, you don't need a tune to run NOS.
    Your trans is a T56 and the trans need to be removed and dissassembled to fix a synchro.
    thats what im thinking.i will purchase the hypertech after time,but if i stay under a 100 shot, with a wet kit i think i should be fine.thank you for all the input.so the SLP air lid actually flows better?thats the only way i see me buying an air lid.not gonna buy it fot the "SLP" thats for sure.anyway,im gonna contact ponce's and see what theyll charge me to pull tranny.so it looks like what i need to upgrade is my exhaust.what kind of performcae gains are these ls1's getting with the ls6 manifold?

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

pm me on manifold if you need one i have lots of parts for that 98. since i swap all my parts out.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

LS6 Intake makes a HUGE difference WHEN you have LT's + a Cam to provide a right balance of parts. I just installed the LS6 Intake this week (I have LT's & TSP 224R +918's+Corsa Catback) and it is VERY noticeable.......SOTP's difference is there also ESPECIALLY in the UPPER RPM range......hope this helps.....Welcome!!

Thread Information