Black
    96 T/A

I've got a few problems and need help quick

I'm about to leave for training very soon and then after that I'm back to Iraq. I have a 96 Trans Am convertible with the LT1 and about 122,xxx miles. I planned on ordering a brand new toy while I was gone and having my friend sell this while I was gone but... now I have some issues.

Since I've had the car I've tried to take good care of it but over the last year it has been nothing but a money pit with the main issue being cooling. I've put on three water pumps, three thermostats, most lines, and a radiator. Just reciently I got a new leak but have no idea where it's coming from. It's too far up front so I can see it from the top and the car is too low for me to get underneath it to see it without having the car in the air plus, it only want to leak when I'm not home to get underneath it to find the leak.

Now for the bigger problem. On my way to work yesterday I had to stop at the ATM to get some lunch money. The traffic was so busy that the only opening I found wasn't enough for anyone without some serious power to get in to but I knew that I could so I went for it. Got into the road sideways balls to the wall with I truck right behind me no problem. Once I got up to speed I up-shifted and dropped it down to about 2500 RPM. After about another half mile I heard a nasty noise and the car started to shake. I took it out of gear and it was still doing it so I knew that it was something wrong with the motor. I didn't have far to go and still had good oil pressure so I just continued to work. When I got there I opened the hood and heard "clank clank clank clank" but saw nothing wrong. I decieded that this would be a good time to cash in on that emergency road side service that I paided for and had it towed home.

I don't know too much about the internals so I don't know what is wrong. I though that I may have thrown a rod but a friends who knows much more than I do said that it sounded more like I rolled a bearing.

I don't have the time or funds to even start trying to fix this before I leave not to mention that I don't feel like dumping a bunch of money into a car that I'm just going to get rid of so I have two choices, sell it broke for cheap or store it and try to trade it in when I get back. If I sell it I don't know how much to ask for it and I don't know if the dealership will even take it as a trade.

When I got back from Iraq in Oct 06 I put on a new top plus right actuator, new opti spark plus wires and plugs, and new Goodyear F1 GS-D3's. The interior needs some work but it's not bad for a car with this many miles. The exterior isn't too bad, a few small scatches and a small convertable top panel that needs to be repainted. Along with the other issues with the motor it also has a bad MAF sensor, bad AIR pump, and a bad cat. Also the left turn signel just stopped blinking. How much do you think that I should ask for this car in this condition.

If I don't sell it what do I need to do to store it for 9 to 10 months without being able to start it (I don't want to cause more damage to the motor).

I have less then one week before I leave for training and if I don't store it I could have my friend sell it while I'm gone.

Please help and thanks in advence. - KY

black
    2002 WS6

The Clanking you describe sounds likea rod bearing to me, ehnce why you don't see anything on the out side, leave it long enough and you very well may.

Black
    96 T/A

If that is the problem, could it have caused any damage to anything other than the block? I don't have any intention of fixing or ever driving it again but it would be nice to be able to give some advice to who ever gets it.

Black
    98 T/A

U joint?

As far as the cooling issue, you sure your fans are operating properly? 122k with no flush or cleanout or mixing non-demineralized water and coolant or improper coolant will clog your system quite rapidly.

Pull your dipstick, what does the oil look like?

Start your car, pull a wire at a time (carefully) usually a rod knock will stop if you have one if you remove the spark from the affected or bad rod/bearing.

Does the noise increase in frequency when you slightly accelerate and the car is stopped and in neutral?
    Last edited by Banshee1967; 01-05-2008 at 08:33 PM.

Thread Information