Necction

Installing TCS ??

Ok so my rearend is making noise and I gotta replace it. Now theres one on ebay which I could use but it has traction control and my car does not. Is it possible to use this rearend on my car or not. I dont care if the traction control works or not. Like is it possible to use it but just like disable that stuff right on the rear end or what.

Thanks

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Sure you can "lift" the sensors and they dont do shit then...TC is an electronic thing anyway...the sensors just feed the computer and the PC then regulates throttle and shit...so no worries.....what is wrong with your Diff man? What is happening?

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

I thought the traction control just read wheel speeds from the rear wheel ABS sensors? Your car should have those regardless. I think it should be a straight forward swap. You will need a 98+ rear end, as 97 and older had 3 channel ABS that measured speed at the ring gear. 98 and newer cars have four channel ABS which measures both rear wheel speeds.

Also, if you end up with a different ratio, you need the VCM edited to correct your speedometer.

Edit: I can't spell/type
    Last edited by hammertime; 02-08-2006 at 05:00 PM.
    Hammer - hammertime.us
    2001 Light Pewter Metallic Camaro SS, 6 speed
    K&N, SLP Lid, SLP y-pipe, GMMG cat-back, Lou's Short Stick - more to come!

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Hammertime...your a good kid...WTF does this mean anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime on drugs
    I thought the traction control just rear wheel speeds from the rear wheel ABS sensors?
    Dont smoke crack kids....knock that shit off....

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge
    Hammertime...your a good kid...WTF does this mean anyway?

Dont smoke crack kids....knock that shit off....
    Wow, what a difference one letter makes. That should have been:

I thought the traction control just read wheel speeds from the rear wheel ABS sensors?
    And I think leaving the sensors off or disconnecting them would render the ABS inoperable.
    But I'm not a mechanic, I'm a crackhead who likes mechanical things!

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Well I'll be...I shoulda know that....no sir ABS senbsors are located in a different place...( I threw a letter in there...I'll let you figure it out)

Necction
    Well my car does have ABS and so does this rear end. I was just wondering about the traction control cuz my car doesnt have it but the car from which this rear end is coming from does.

My rearend is basically howling. It still works seemingly fine but it makes a hell of a lot of noise when the car is in gear, especially on highways. Ears bleed after a while. It sucks

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Necction
    Well my car does have ABS and so does this rear end. I was just wondering about the traction control cuz my car doesnt have it but the car from which this rear end is coming from does.

My rearend is basically howling. It still works seemingly fine but it makes a hell of a lot of noise when the car is in gear, especially on highways. Ears bleed after a while. It sucks
    Howling.... sounds like gears....if the axels and bearings are still good why replace the whole rear? Bearings usually make a nasty grinding/growling sound...if it starts that stop driving it before you pit the axels. I'd be cautious of buying a used rear on e-bay....never know the condition until you tear into it....could end up buying a rear worse then the one you have

Necction
    Problem is , it seems impossible to find one locally here in Ontario Canada. But I am kinda worried about ebay rears though. Unless its scrapped the only reason i can think of for someone to take the rear out is if theres something wrong with it. Id hate to get stuck with another crappy one.

But yeah there doesnt seem to be any grinding noise. When Ive posted a question about whether its possible to repair a rear end, everyone just said to buy a new one. But I dont really have the change for a 12 bolt .

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Necction
    Problem is , it seems impossible to find one locally here in Ontario Canada. But I am kinda worried about ebay rears though. Unless its scrapped the only reason i can think of for someone to take the rear out is if theres something wrong with it. Id hate to get stuck with another crappy one.

But yeah there doesnt seem to be any grinding noise. When Ive posted a question about whether its possible to repair a rear end, everyone just said to buy a new one. But I dont really have the change for a 12 bolt .
    Well, you'll have to ask yourself, are you planning to modify your car? How much power are you planning to put to the ground, and how much tire.

If your car is going to remain mostly stock, then its a hell of a lot cheaper to have your rebuilt and know what you are getting. I'd bargain that many of the people who get 12-bolts do it after they've upped the power and broken the stocker. If you make enough power to keep breaking it, then its money well spent to buy one you won't break. I'm sure you can get it rebuilt for way cheaper than a 12-bolt.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

The traction control car has sensors at each wheel on the rear axle-Otherwise there is only one sensor in the middle.The question is can you hook up the ABS by switching sensors with your old axle.Anybody know the answers to that? I agree you're better off repairing your old one.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

another vote for why buy a whole new rear, fix the one you have
    Last edited by oneBADDz; 02-09-2006 at 09:04 PM.

Thread Information