Thread: Install help

White
    1998 Trans Am

Install help

Hey everyone! I am in trying to get my car put back together after a few attempts at many different mechanics. The mechanic it is sitting with now has informed me there are many essential parts missing due to the previous mechanics pulling things apart and not returning them...long story. Anyway, is there anywhere you guys could recommend to pick up a relatively cheap salvage 98-02 camaro/firebird so I could swap the required parts and get the car back together?? I have not had this car running in about a year now and it is starting to get depressing. Any help would be appreciated!

2002 Camaro Z28

What parts do you need? Most of the time cars in salvage yards have had the engines pulled so if you need engine parts, you will be out of luck. Sounds like your dealing with some pretty shady shops as well. There are several salvage yards out there that deal with these types of cars so it isn't impossible to to find parts but finding a complete car that is worth buying for parts may be more difficult. Anyway, let us know what all you need and we can help. I bought my car from a salvage yard after it had been wrecked and got a front clip and various other parts from donor cars so it can be done.
    Junkyard bought and "refurbished" 2002 Camaro Z28 - Pacetter Race LT's, TS&P ORY, Frost tune, Magnaflow, Ported TB, SLP Lid, Circle D 3000, 3.73's, SFC's.
    2009 Silverado Z71 - Magnaflow
    2008 Impala LTZ - Wife didn't want the V8 SS!

White
    1998 Trans Am

LS1 install

Mechanic says I need the computers for the motor and trans..He says there are all kinds of sensors missing..basically computer parts. From my knowledge, a conventional mechanic will be lost in a LS1 rebuild..which seems to be the problem here. The last mechanic I took my car to stripped my blown motor down and sat on it for months, which made me nervous. I ended up having to pick it up from his house, which was being foreclosed on at that point... Lots of problems.. I need HELP!!!

2002 Camaro Z28

From what I gather from your situation, sounds like you have a car in need of an engine? Search ebay for "LS1 engine" you can find complete engines with computers and everything that have been pulled from cars. Some even have the trans with them. That might be the route I would go. If he is the one who is supposed to be the mechanic why can't he get the parts? Or load the car up and take it to a shop with techs who actually know what they are doing.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The computer (or PCM) for our cars was different for 1998 than the later model years. You may wish to shoot Frost (site sponsor) a PM or an e-mail through his website to see if he has any available. Hit the "Sponsor" button on the bar at the top of the page and look for "Tuned by Frost".

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by ChadSheehy View Post
    Mechanic says I need the computers for the motor and trans..He says there are all kinds of sensors missing..basically computer parts. From my knowledge, a conventional mechanic will be lost in a LS1 rebuild..which seems to be the problem here. The last mechanic I took my car to stripped my blown motor down and sat on it for months, which made me nervous. I ended up having to pick it up from his house, which was being foreclosed on at that point... Lots of problems.. I need HELP!!!
    Holy hell!!!

Thread Information