Blog Entries

SUNSET ORANGE
    2001 CAMARO SS

Infamous CAM question??

I know this has been beaten to death and I've been researching and reading a ton of old threads about this, but I am still in the air on what CAM to install. Basically looking for a nice cam sound and some decent power gains.
    Most of the threads I've been reading are from years ago so I almost have to assume the CAMs have gotten better.
    I've seen a lot of talk about 228r and TV2. I have 01 SS 6spd, pretty much all the bolt ons.....LTH, YPipe, full exhaust, high flow cats, LS7 clutch, motive 3.90's....etc. I do have stock 241 heads. I am pondering 243 if the funds are there.

So, What would be a decent CAM to rock with my current set up now a days?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

228 cam is a good solid cam that wakes up a DD car, works well with the stock 241 or 243 heads but doesn't beat up the valve springs.

I would highly recommend doing the 243 heads and cam at the same time. Main reason why is because of tuning. Only need to pay once, doing them separately means paying twice. Tuning runs about $450-550 each session.

Bigger cams = more possible issues. Ex - MS3/4 cams are great in power but beat up the value springs, I've read guys have to check the rockers every 50k.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Blog Entries

SUNSET ORANGE
    2001 CAMARO SS

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    228 cam is a good solid cam that wakes up a DD car, works well with the stock 241 or 243 heads but doesn't beat up the valve springs.

I would highly recommend doing the 243 heads and cam at the same time. Main reason why is because of tuning. Only need to pay once, doing them separately means paying twice. Tuning runs about $450-550 each session.

Bigger cams = more possible issues. Ex - MS3/4 cams are great in power but beat up the value springs, I've read guys have to check the rockers every 50k.
    Good call. Didn't know about those bigger cams beating up the valve train. I just thought when you put the upgraded springs in all was fine, but good look on that.
    What about the TV2...is that considered a big cam? I read a lot of people often change out from the 228r to the TV2 b/c "they wanted more". LOL.
    But, then I read it's really only a 5-10hp jump and the power comes in later in the RPM range and you give up some low end torque.
    Thanks for the info my man.

Navy Blue Metallic

Basically that. The TV2 just moves it like you said.

There's a lot going into this stuff. All the components effect each other.

IIRC the pushrods for the 228 and TV2 are the same length as long as you don't have the heads milled. It's always best to buy a push rod checker ($20ish) and confirm. We have a few threads on how to do this in the tech help stickies.

If you do get a used set of 243 heads, do yourself a favor and have a shop look them over and freshen them up (valve guides, lap the valves, check for flatness, hell even install the springs if needed). They have the tools and can confirm the head is good to go. You never know what the previous user did to them.

I also recommend doing a set of new lifters, head gaskets and timing chain. You're there might as well freshen them up as well. think of it as preventive maintenance. I would also suggest replacing the oil pump as well but that takes a lot of effort to do while it is in the car. A LOT of effort.....

Navy Blue Metallic

Also I don't mean to scare you on how this can balloon up. It's just that if you don't do those items while you're there it will cost you time and money later to do them because you have to remove all that stuff again to get to them.

Blog Entries

SUNSET ORANGE
    2001 CAMARO SS

Thanks for all the info buddy. I'll def check all of the above off when I do this project. Just gotta decide on what CAM makes the most sense at this point.
    And you're right....a ton of stuff going on in there. All the more reason to reach out and talk to someone who knows there stuff. Thanks again for all the pointers.

Thread Information