Drive it like ya stole it sills1's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

Idle problems, car seems very sluggish

I've been noticing some problems when my car is idling. It's actually died a couple of times on my wife while she was stopped at a red light. I also notice a slight hesitation when I give the car gas to take off. I have 72000 miles on the car (2000 SS). I have yet to change the spark plugs, but I'm wondering if there is something else that I should take a look at also (fuel filter maybe).

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

With those symptoms, the fuel filter would be the first thing I would change. Also, have you ever used any fuel injector cleaner?
    Last edited by GatorSS; 01-13-2007 at 09:04 PM.

JOSEY FUCKING WALES! Frankthetank's Avatar

Black
    2000 &2002 Z28

check ur spark plug wires.....had same prob on my 98z.........check out wires and found out one was b arely even touching the plug LOL kind of embaressing

TSP Rumbler, LT's, TSP Tqr2, PRC 921 Springs, Comp Lifters, Chromoly 7.4" Pushrods, Titanium Retainers/Seats/Seals, ARP head bolts, BMR full Rear suspension

"I could break a bowling ball with a plastic hammer in a sandbox"

Green

When I bought my car I put headers on it. When I was taking the wires off you could see where it had arced because it wasnt all the way on. There were two original wires and one original plug in there with 79000 on the clock

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by sills1 View Post
    I've been noticing some problems when my car is idling. It's actually died a couple of times on my wife while she was stopped at a red light. I also notice a slight hesitation when I give the car gas to take off. I have 72000 miles on the car (2000 SS). I have yet to change the spark plugs, but I'm wondering if there is something else that I should take a look at also (fuel filter maybe).
    Does it have a "wet" style air filter like a K&N? If so I would check out the maf might be coated with oil......
    Also I would take that air charge tube off the throttle body and clean. Go to AutoZone and buy a $4 can of throttle body cleaner. Spray onto a rag and hold blade open and wipe clean the bore of the intake track. If you've never done this you'll be amased at how nasty it will be. Then do the same and clean the edges of the throttle plate.
    The plugs shouldn't cause your issues..... I could see a miss at idle but not stalling.
    If your running stock wires still I would upgrade to some MSD 8.5 SuperConductors. They are like $65-70 on the web.
    GoodLuck Hope I helped.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Thread Information