Thread: IAC questions

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am WS-6

IAC questions

My car is a 2001 WS6. The car is idling high after it warms up so I'll be cleaning my MAF and IAC and I have some questions. Is there any service that can/needs to be done to the IAC other than cleaning? I know I can remove it to clean it. Should it move? Should I try to move it? Should I spray cleaner on it and not screw around with it? How finicky/particular is it? I know not to screw around with the MAF but I know nothing about the IAC.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

In my experience with cleaning IACs I have used throttle body cleaner and a shop rag. If I recall, you have to gently push the pintle back into the IAC housing to not damage the pintle while reinstalling it. After you clean everything, drive the car at, I think, 40 mph for 5 mins to reset the IAC.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by ronnie tadlock View Post
    My car is a 2001 WS6. The car is idling high after it warms up so I'll be cleaning my MAF and IAC and I have some questions. Is there any service that can/needs to be done to the IAC other than cleaning? I know I can remove it to clean it. Should it move? Should I try to move it? Should I spray cleaner on it and not screw around with it? How finicky/particular is it? I know not to screw around with the MAF but I know nothing about the IAC.
    It really helps to have something to log the counts of IAC. If you have something, or know someone who does... You want 45-60 counts at warm idle. I just had to redo mine by messing with the idle set screw and reseting the TPS. You can play around with the screw and reset the TPS and see if the car settles down. The throttl body blade hasnt been drilled has it?
    370 CI - Twin 6766 Turbo - Jakes stage 5 4L80E - MWC 9" - Holley Dominator

Build in progress...

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am WS-6

Do they ever go bad? Should I take it apart to clean it? I don't have any way of testing it. I removed it from the TB, cleaned the end of it and cleaned the opening in the TB. It was pretty nasty in there. I thought it was fixed yesterday evening but the idle jumped up again this morning on my way to work. It did great for about 20 minutes of driving and then started acting up again.

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am WS-6

Now get this. After it has warmed up and started the crazy idle, I can turn it off for a minute and restart it and it idles fine. Then after I drive it a bit, it starts acting up again. Could it be the TPS?

Thread Information