Thread: IAC Problem

Blue
    2000 Trans Am

IAC Problem

I removed the IAC to clean it and to make sure it was working. When i turned the key to the on position to see if it would move the threaded shaft unscrewed itself and popped off the valve, spring and all. I put the spring and shaft back into the valve and turned the key on, it then threaded itself back in. So i bolted it back on but when i started the car it would stall right away. I removed the valve again held it in my hand, while the key was turned on then off. The shaft moved up and down. I bolted it again and the car started normally but when i turn the car off while touching the IAC i can feel a vibration like it the shaft wants to move but it can't, then stops (almost like motor spins but the shaft can't go anymore). Do i need a new IAC ?
    Last edited by Blue2KTA; 05-21-2010 at 02:42 PM.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

If your car starts and idles/runs normally now, you are probably ok. Some cars have their IAC reset when you turn the key off, if could be normal. I don't know for sure if our LS1s do.

Blue
    2000 Trans Am

I just took it out for a drive and everything seems normal. I just have to see how a cold start is tomorrow.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I'm driving my car tomorrow. If I remember, I'll check the IAC operation when I shut 'er down.

Blue
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    I'm driving my car tomorrow. If I remember, I'll check the IAC operation when I shut 'er down.
    Thanks

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Yes that's what the IAC does on shut down, resets itself on shut down. Sounds like you are ok, now spend some $$$ on something else that needs cleaning LOL.

Blue
    2000 Trans Am

Thanks for checking Just did the seafoam in the intake the other day. Didn't get smoke while doing it but got alot when i drove it.

pewter
    99 Trans Am

Just what is this IAC that is being talked about?

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by Blue2KTA View Post
    Thanks for checking Just did the seafoam in the intake the other day. Didn't get smoke while doing it but got alot when i drove it.

If your engine has primarily used good gas (a top tier brand like Shell V-power) you may not notice much difference with the seafoam. If you see a big difference in the way it runs, now you know why.

Quote Originally Posted by Street Fighter View Post
    Just what is this IAC that is being talked about?
    IAC = Idle Air Control motor. This is what the PCM uses to control the idle speed on F-body LS1s. A lot of cars are going with drive-by-wire now, so they don't have IACs anymore, these cars have other problems like the car will only idle when a sensor F's up. I'd rather have my cable operated throttle, thank you.

Blue
    2000 Trans Am

If your engine has primarily used good gas (a top tier brand like Shell V-power) you may not notice much difference with the seafoam. If you see a big difference in the way it runs, now you know why.

IAC = Idle Air Control motor. This is what the PCM uses to control the idle speed on F-body LS1s. A lot of cars are going with drive-by-wire now, so they don't have IACs anymore, these cars have other problems like the car will only idle when a sensor F's up. I'd rather have my cable operated throttle, thank you.
    I always use premium Chevron gas. The idle seems a little rough while waiting at a light so i did the seafoam and cleaned the IAC. I have 55k on the clock.

I totally agree with you about the drive-by-wire cars. We had a 2006 Impala that had it and it sucked. There would be lag on acceleration that was real annoying and the dealer said it was normal.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by Blue2KTA View Post
    I always use premium Chevron gas. The idle seems a little rough while waiting at a light so i did the seafoam and cleaned the IAC. I have 55k on the clock.

I totally agree with you about the drive-by-wire cars. We had a 2006 Impala that had it and it sucked. There would be lag on acceleration that was real annoying and the dealer said it was normal.
    Drive-by-wire. Just another government conspiracy! It's their way to control how you drive your car, instead of you driving your car how you want to. This is also why I like my 6-speed, I control it instead of the automatic transmission contolling my gears.

pewter
    99 Trans Am

Question

Is seafoam really safe to use? I have heard some say stay away from it , unless you plan to change your oil after it's use. will it really help? I ask this because I have stayed away from using anything in my engine other than oil.also just what is it good for?

pewter
    99 Trans Am

Question What can I do about mildew smell in my TA

I have a mildew smell in my TA and I was wondering if the ac drain was stopped up.where is it located and how can I get the smell out of the car.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Seafoam: This had been a long standing debate on here. Some swear by it and some swear at it. I don't think there is any question that Seafoam is a solvent, probably a harsh one considering what it does. I would not use it on our car -- rather I employ the TC-W3 additive and if the need ever arose I would probably use Auto Rx as an engine cleaning agent.

Blue
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Street Fighter View Post
    Is seafoam really safe to use? I have heard some say stay away from it , unless you plan to change your oil after it's use. will it really help? I ask this because I have stayed away from using anything in my engine other than oil.also just what is it good for?
    I only used the Seafoam spray in the intake. I personally will not use it in the oil.

Thread Information