Red
    '99 Firebird Trans Am WS6

I think I'm sick......in the head...

So I drove my bird the other day (I only drive it maybe twice a month, she needs a head repaired), and I got to thinking that she is plenty fast. For now and the foreseeable future I don't need anything faster, want yes, but not necessarily need. So I'm thinking that I'll just get her fixed up and running really well and start to mod the suspension and drivetrain, so that when I do decide to add some power she will be able to handle it all with ease. I've looked over the sticky that details basic boltons and such and I just don't know which mods to do first, which order, where to get them done, what brands are best, and so forth. Now I have plenty of time to figure this all out (I hate being poor ) but I'd still like to get some opinions from you guys. My thoughts are to start with a rear end (4.10's of course) with the supporting pieces for that (SFC's, etc.), stronger driveshaft and loop, short shifter, and shocks and springs (I want to lower her a tiny bit but not a huge amount, I want good clearance). I would also like to get some new wheels and tires, but wheels are more of just a cosmetic thing. I will be working on a tight budget, a mod every couple months depending on price. Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated.

Red

Forgot to mention brakes, as those are a HUGE upgrade for me. I want the best setup possible for my brakes.

hugger orange

man I feel your pain....ive got a great job, but my 200 year old house and renovation is sucking me dry lol
    don't forget a torque arm too.
    atleast by taking your time you should beable to find good deals. ebay can become your best friend, watch lots of parts and see how much they go for in the end, and make sure to only bid on parts from sellers with positive feedback.
    us you can find great deals on this and other forums.
    all the power in the world doesn't mean a thing if you can't get it to the ground (or can't stop) so your doung it right....id start with brakes and suspension 1st too
    good luck with your build and don't beafraid to ask questions!

Red

Thanks for the reassurance, I figured most people would flame me for not wanting more power immediately.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Nero.Jacinth View Post

Thanks for the reassurance, I figured most people would flame me for not wanting more power immediately.

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

So I drove my bird the other day (I only drive it maybe twice a month, she needs a head repaired), and I got to thinking that she is plenty fast. For now and the foreseeable future I don't need anything faster, want yes, but not necessarily need. So I'm thinking that I'll just get her fixed up and running really well and start to mod the suspension and drivetrain, so that when I do decide to add some power she will be able to handle it all with ease. I've looked over the sticky that details basic boltons and such and I just don't know which mods to do first, which order, where to get them done, what brands are best, and so forth. Now I have plenty of time to figure this all out (I hate being poor ) but I'd still like to get some opinions from you guys. My thoughts are to start with a rear end (4.10's of course) with the supporting pieces for that (SFC's, etc.), stronger driveshaft and loop, short shifter, and shocks and springs (I want to lower her a tiny bit but not a huge amount, I want good clearance). I would also like to get some new wheels and tires, but wheels are more of just a cosmetic thing. I will be working on a tight budget, a mod every couple months depending on price. Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated.
    HPTuners, Lid, exhaust, SFC's, wheels and tires, lowering kit shocks and struts and you're good. I'd go that order too so ya can learn the program but the tune will be about the best mod you ever do.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by richard head View Post
    HPTuners, Lid, exhaust, SFC's, wheels and tires, lowering kit shocks and struts and you're good. I'd go that order too so ya can learn the program but the tune will be about the best mod you ever do.
    lol id do the tuning program too because it takes a LONG time to learn...but its definately worth it

Red

I've heard that handheld tuners aren't worth the money, any truth to that or just opinion? Feel free to chime in if you're watching this thread Mr. Luos.

hugger orange

I've heard that handheld tuners aren't worth the money, any truth to that or just opinion? Feel free to chime in if you're watching this thread Mr. Luos.
    my friend Bill got me hookedup with HPtuners and ever since all i use my handheld for is at the moment shift pressure. other than that i have no use for it....sorry it does read and clear codes.

handhelds are very limited...if you do go with one id go diablo preditor.
    $400 for a good handheld, $649 for the full HPtuners program

Red

So wait, HPTuner isn't a handheld?

hugger orange

So wait, HPTuner isn't a handheld?
    nope you use a laptop. its VERY involved and takes a long time to learn....butocan do anything with it.
    I got a free older lap top off of one of my friends, you can pick them up real cheap at the pawn shop too

Red

Can you use it on other types of cars? Maybe I'll look into investing in one.

hugger orange

Can you use it on other types of cars? Maybe I'll look into investing in one.
    mostly GM, you can read and clear codes for free but to tune it works on a credit system (2) credits per car, but you can tune and retune the same car over and over again for free after you get licenced for that car. when you buy the system you get (8) cerdits with it

im useing one of my friends program. (2) credits for my GTO, (2) credits for bills 98TA, (2) credits for his C6 corvette, and (2) credits for his backup computer for his 98TA.

you can check it all out and they have a forum at hptuners.com

Thread Information