Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I need some advice....

Im new to the LS1 world but my friend is not. I just bought a 2002 WS6 w/ 50k mi on the ticker. My amigo has a 2000 SS with allot of bolt-ons short of forced induction. He's running pacesetter headers, slp air lid, stock TB free mod, slp thermostat, slp loudmouth exhaust, msd wires, panhard bar, welded LCA's, 1 1/2 inch drop, slp mass air sensor, this is all I can remember. He speculates that his car would be a 12.3-12.6 car. My ass dyno would agree but Im not sure. We have a grudge match set for June 5th next summer at the Gainesville raceway. I dont like to lose. Money is not too much of a problem but I need advice. Im familiar with the basic stuff like the lid, filter, headers, cat removal, exhaust, intake manifold, up-sized TB, mass air sensor, thermostat, etc. These are all on my list, what I need to know about is perhaps the best route to go. I think I should just supercharge it and call it a day, but I know I should get headers with exhaust and a good intake manifold and TB before I charge it. What is the best supercharger that's not too expensive. I expected to spend at least 3500-5000$, how much would a typical speed shop charge me to install it? Would I need to re-tune my ecu? How much boost with stock internals? Do you have a better idea than supercharging? I dont want to run nitrous for fear of detonating my motor. How much of a stall can my stock tranny handle, by the way it is an auto. Now another bit of info is I think he will have his Zex nitrous kit hooked up with a 125 shot in case I beat his ass the first pass. Sorry for the rambling, but any good advice would be greatly appreciated. PS- Im posting a pic of his motor and car in case you see something I dont. [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]

2000 Camaro B4C

id just go with a bad ass heads/cam/intake set-up

you can make good reliable power with the proper H/C/I
    2000 B4C Special Service Package Z28 - Kooks 1&7/8 Stepped 2'' - TSP Torquer V.2 - FAST 92/92 - BDR 4000 Conveter - Xtreme Trans Stage II - Full UMI Suspension - Pacesetter LT's - Comp Drag Shocks - Magnaflow - Cutout - ZO6 MAF - FTP LID - Street Tuned -

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

yup, h/c/i/e and a tune would be lots cheaper
    good luck finding a supercharger installed for 3-3.5K
    if you do wanna supercharge look at procharger, they have one badass setup
    Just make sure if you launch it too hard you may up going out and finding a new rear. The 10-Bolt in these cars aren't to great. I've heard of stock cars break the 10-bolt because they were too hard on it.

Silver
    2005 Ram Daytona

he's got an optima red top. watch out. haha just messin'. it sounds like you already know what it'l take. Like they are saying.. a h/c/i package, and a good exhaust setup will go peerty far. I would do that, then run him, if its too close of a race for your liking's then I would say go with a good supercharger setup.

oh, and I would definately beef up the suspension some if you plan on goin to the track more than one weekend.. and you'l want to get the 10 bolt out of there if you get too much power to the ground
    Last edited by cant.b.caught.z28; 11-01-2009 at 08:23 PM.

2000 Camaro B4C

yeah i did it backwards with my car power before suspension. Definitely do the suspension first, gotta be safe when that power hits the pavement

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Man all this help from z28's
    Z28>ws6
    Your case more than likely the tranny will go before the rear end. Problem with s/c is you are limited to the amount of boost you can put through it and can make the same hp cheaper going n/a or nitrous. If you want low 12's exhaust, stall and dr's with the suspension. Don't mess with the maf-better things to do with your money right now. Check the race section and the motor section to check peoples mods and times.

2000 Camaro B4C

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    Man all this help from z28's
    Z28>ws6
    Your case more than likely the tranny will go before the rear end. Problem with s/c is you are limited to the amount of boost you can put through it and can make the same hp cheaper going n/a or nitrous. If you want low 12's exhaust, stall and dr's with the suspension. Don't mess with the maf-better things to do with your money right now. Check the race section and the motor section to check peoples mods and times.
    wow just noticed all the Z's positing help haha sweet

yeah you are gunna have to watch out for your trannt and rear. its gunna be no good if you build a badass set up then blow your tranny or rear end when you go to run your friend. you really have to think about where you want to drop all your money. i

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Get a tranny cooler, make sure the lines are meant for transmissions, my kit was and the damn hose still managed to spring a leak. Keeping the tranny cool will prolong its life.

Black
    1999 Firebird Formula

By the looks of the pic you posted, your buddy's ride is still sporting the LS1 Intake, while your 2002 would come factory with the LS6. That being said, there's no reason to have to upgrade your intake right away. Find a H/C Combo you like, add all the supporting mods that you listed and you should be well on your way to a victory. Good luck.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Yup, and like said above, suspension can help lots. Some Lower Control Arms and some LCA relocation brackets can keep you from getting wheel spin and it basically preloads the suspension. Also when you get all done, with heads and a cam i would recommend a dyno tune, but a member here "Frost" does mail order tunes and is pretty good and relatively cheap.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

not sure if it was said but save your money on the MAF sensor....the stock sensor is fine.

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    not sure if it was said but save your money on the MAF sensor....the stock sensor is fine.
    +1 ... stock sensor and don't let anyone tell you that it's a good idea to cut out the screen. not always the best idea.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Stock sensor is definately fine. But H/C will be good but you need to at least get a set of LCA's, relocation brackets, and a panhard rod at the minimum. Also a good set of Drag radials will help you shave some time. You can see 11's with the right combination under your price range

BANGIN GEARS>STAB N STEER BLK2KSS's Avatar

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

you should just give it bro... looks like ur buddies ride is way too fast! lol

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Z28boy2000 View Post
    yeah i did it backwards with my car power before suspension. Definitely do the suspension first, gotta be safe when that power hits the pavement
    I agree on building the car to handle the power instead of throwing tons of HP at a car not ready for it. I will also add, address the weak areas first, and by that, upgrade your rearend prior to adding tons of HP as well.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by BLK2KSS View Post
    I may have to agree with this totally random member

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Oh snap!

FASTER THNA SPEEDINtICKEt BANDITO's Avatar

White
    2002 trans-am

I say dont give up my car has ran 12.7 on nitto's 3.73 rear gears stock 10 bolt 3000k stall stock tranny, headers and ported T/B .

BANGIN GEARS>STAB N STEER BLK2KSS's Avatar

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

i wnder if anyone has noticed that this is me that ur talkin about... thought my earlier comment and my avatar being the exact pic u posted would be a dead give away, maybe not... anyway judging by ur dyno pulls last night it shouldnt take you too long to catch me and just a lil longer to get me with that factory freak of a motor u picked up! FYI for everyone, this guy put down 321 hp and 345 tq to the wheels with a bare bones stock car!

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

i wnder if anyone has noticed that this is me that ur talkin about... this guy put down 321 hp and 345 tq to the wheels with a bare bones stock car!
    What kind of dyno was it?
    You are just a random member remember

Thread Information