Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pewter
    2002 Z28 (sold)

Question I need help bad!!!

Tonight I decided to change out my spark plugs. First time I am ever doing this on the car.

I do the drivers side, no problem. Considering I hae no idea what I am doing, I was impressed to do this side in 45 min.

Onto the passanger side. I got the first two out and in within about 20mintes.

My problem is, #6 spark plug boot wont come loose. I have since split the wire in two. How can I now get this boot off? I barerly have any leverage to get in there with my hand to rip it out.

Any ideas, greatly appreciated.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

What all did you remove on the passenger side? I took the AIR and coilpacks out and had enough room for some maneuvering.

I had something similar happen to me and I had to fight it a bit. Try to twist it from the boot while pulling. It'll eventually pop. Cussing and yelling gives you an extra hormone boost.

Pewter
    2002 Z28 (sold)

Don't know what it is called, but the tube to the manifold. That was about it. It was considering the Coil packs, but as my luck would have it, I would break something there as well.

There is about 2 1/2 inches of space for me to shove my hand in. I can barley get my hand around the boot. If I knew how, I would break that bitch off.

Pewter
    2002 Z28 (sold)

Well, i don't know what I did, but it popped right off. I had the spark plug boot removed and plug changed under five minutes. So I now have 7 out of 8 done.

Any tips on how to get the boot off of #8? I just tried and I was not able to get a grip on it.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Remove the coil packs, that will help a lot. Sounds like you already moved the EGR tube, thats what feeds into the intake manifold.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Pewter
    2002 Z28 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Remove the coil packs, that will help a lot. Sounds like you already moved the EGR tube, thats what feeds into the intake manifold.

How hard is it to remov the coil packs. I am not in a ruch to get this job done. Car is not on the road any way. But trying to get it tuned up before I put it back on the road late next month.

Black
    99 Formula

coil packs are easy to remove, all coils are mounted on a single bracket, unplug main electrical harness to coil packs and then remove bolts that hold bracket to vavlve cover. 6 0r 8 bolts , i think they are 10mm. The last bolt in the back is only hard one, blind bolt you have to feel it. I leave the last bolt out for future plug changes which i do a lot cause of spray. As far as the boot you have to twist it around back and forth to break seal. Then it comes off easy

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by cuzimoto View Post
    coil packs are easy to remove, all coils are mounted on a single bracket, unplug main electrical harness to coil packs and then remove bolts that hold bracket to vavlve cover. 6 0r 8 bolts , i think they are 10mm. The last bolt in the back is only hard one, blind bolt you have to feel it. I leave the last bolt out for future plug changes which i do a lot cause of spray. As far as the boot you have to twist it around back and forth to break seal. Then it comes off easy
    +1 on this. Also take out the 2 10mm bolts on the air tubes (they go into the exhaust manifold) It's surprisingly easy and gives you a lot more room to work. Definately leave the last coil pack bracket bolt out on the install!!!

Yellow
    2004 Pontiac GTO

You can go to an Auto Parts store and get a tool that is made just to remove spark plug boots. Im not sure what its called but when you get to the store tell them what you need. They are like a pair of pliers that curve a 90 degree angle at the bottom. They are used to pull plug wires off plugs in tight places.

Pewter
    2002 Z28 (sold)

So when I take the coil pack bolts out, Does the coil pack come out of the car completle or do I set it aside like I did with the EGR tube?

Black
    Y2K Camero SS

I think the 02 is the same as 00, # 8 is very easy to get to from under car , on 00 I had no need to remove coil pack or remove any thing to change plugs, I will state that first time I change plugs I had to get my son to remove wires , as I was not strong enough, look at the angle the plugs are pointing , point differant way on each side , use some never sease on threads, and dilect grease on wires
    Y2K SS (SLP #239)
    Completly STOCK heads/bore/stroke/weight
    & NOTHING else ---is stock
    "NAW-NAW- just a Sunday goto meeting car, my best time is not in the 12's------- any more "
    ps: I am not soliticing work as I am retired
    >>>info on alignments
    http://www.jgruggles.com

Pewter
    2000 T/A WS-6

I have a 2000 and did not have to remove anything, I also got #8 from under the car and it was the easyest to get out. Good luck to ya.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

Quote Originally Posted by ccusum View Post
    So when I take the coil pack bolts out, Does the coil pack come out of the car completle or do I set it aside like I did with the EGR tube?
    You can unplug the wires and remove it completely. Also, gives some good access for a good engine detailing.

Pewter
    2002 Z28 (sold)

well, my neighbor and I were talking and he took a crack at it. He had it replaced with in 15 minutes. Guess it pays to have a mechanic as a neighbor.

Now I just have to check all the wires as there is a ticking sound now.

Driving like i stole it!! dafizzman1's Avatar

Arctic White
    1998 Formula

you guys are lucky........on my 98 the coils come off seperately........the valve covers suck too........

Pewter
    2002 Z28 (sold)

BTW - Coils were left alone. He stuck his skinny hand in there. Only thing removed was the EGR tube.

Driving like i stole it!! dafizzman1's Avatar

Arctic White
    1998 Formula

did my #8 from underneath...took 5 min......
    did it w/ headers on though, never did it with the manifolds on it......

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I did all 8 plugs on my '98 without removing anything.

Very tedious and time consuming, got #8 mostly from the bottom.

Pewter
    2002 Z28 (sold)

my tick is gone. It was the EGR tube. Went to GM and got a new one for 8.63. they were the only place in town that was able to get it in under a week.

So I go home, and proceed to replace the gasket and it FALLS under the engine on the K-Member. So now I like SHIT! I just wasted 9 bucks cause I did not think I was ale to find it.

I stick my hand down in the engine compartment, and I pull out the OLD one. When I took it off, I did not see that it had fallen below the engine, I thought it was stuck to the EGR tube. Long story short, My tick is gone. So is the new gasket cause I can't find it.

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

Thread Information