RED
    2001 TRANS AM WS6 6SPD

I need help asap!

I have a horrible sound coming from beneath? my car. I was backing up an incline from agravel road onto pavement. It sounded like I was dragging the muffler, a loud rough noise. I have not had any trouble with the clutch and it still works well. The noise is not all the time but can occur when pulling up/backing up and seems to happen more if over rough ground. The car starts well, no engine noise, no smoke, no knocks, etc. Just this hellatious noise from somewhere underneath. Maybe bearings, pulleys? I have no idea and need all the advice I can get. The car has been parked ever since I heard the noise. Please help me.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

have you made sure that your exhaust is set and no clamps etc are loose or broken ? Also get the car on a lift and check clearances of everything under there...but once again we need more info...a bad sound coming from underneath the car is very vague

RED
    2001 TRANS AM WS6 6SPD

I was told it sounds like a clutch spinning freely on a flywheel giving a sound like metal scrubbing metal. But, it can't be the clutch because it engages as good as new. It makes the noise at times even while sitting still. In gear or in neutral.

98' trans am

when you rev..does the sound get louder ?

Black on Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Mine is making a similiar sound. I just had it checked out and it looks like it's the clutch, (specifically the pressure plate) Mine shifts fine as well but I have grounded it until the clutch is replaced with a clutch kit. I don't want anything to break in there and start rattling about.

Try starting it and keeping it in neutral. When you apply and disengage the clutch pedal does it start to make different (slight) sounds?

black
    02 vette vert

Quote Originally Posted by SOCAL WS6 View Post
    Mine is making a similiar sound. I just had it checked out and it looks like it's the clutch, (specifically the pressure plate) Mine shifts fine as well but I have grounded it until the clutch is replaced with a clutch kit. I don't want anything to break in there and start rattling about.

Try starting it and keeping it in neutral. When you apply and disengage the clutch pedal does it start to make different (slight) sounds?
    a bad throwout bearing will make noise when you push the pedal in which puts pressure on it. should go away when you let the pedal out where it is not under a load. that would probably be a squeal, or whirring or grinding type noise. this would have no effect on the clutch function other than you may feel it in the pedal, and if it goes altogether you wont be able to disengage the clutch.
    Last edited by dklowrider; 06-29-2009 at 05:49 PM.

RED
    2001 TRANS AM WS6 6SPD

I started the car and reved it up, no noise. I pulled forward then backwards, again, no noise. The noise is kind of a (fast)werrp, werrrp, werrrp and a grinding noise like brakes that are worn out. very loud, sounds like something is tearing, grinding, screeching,etc. Some time before this noise occurred I think that I heard or felt a pop under the car on the right side. If I am correct I thought that maybe a shock had broken. Could it have been a motor mount? Would that cause the noise? Someone else took the car out for a test and said they thought the noise occured over uneven surface. Thanks for the input I have recieved. I am having it put up on a lift tomorrow to see if anything is out of place. I hope it makes it to the garage.

98' trans am

if a motor mount was screwed your car would have a noticable shake to it ....it may be suspension if you say it happens over uneven surfaces..where the suspension does the most work

RED
    2001 TRANS AM WS6 6SPD

Well I finally found out what was causing the problem. The pop noise I originally heard was the sway? bar bracket breaking. The bar would drift over enough that the flanges? would rub the belt/pulley. That explains the intermittant noise going over elevation/rough surfaces. Sooooo glad it was not the clutch. While on the lift everything else was checked out. The underneath dry and clean. Thanks for the input.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by BEEST View Post
    Well I finally found out what was causing the problem. The pop noise I originally heard was the sway? bar bracket breaking. The bar would drift over enough that the flanges? would rub the belt/pulley. That explains the intermittant noise going over elevation/rough surfaces. Sooooo glad it was not the clutch. While on the lift everything else was checked out. The underneath dry and clean. Thanks for the input.
    pictures ??? i am in Atlanta right now ..where in Georgia are you ?

RED
    2001 TRANS AM WS6 6SPD

pics of my car? She's an all original red ws6. NE GA near SC Line.

Gold
    2001 Trans Am WS6

sounds like something rubbing to me....maybe you have a rock stuck somewhere....I doubt it's anything to do with the engine....hell maye you got a rock stuck in your bell housing...

Thread Information