Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Dark Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

I have a major situation!!!!!!!

I have just broken off my crank bolt while trying to put on my balancer!! Do you guys have any suggestions?

Is any of the bolt sticking out? Or is it broken flush with the end of the crank?

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Dark Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Oh, it's not even that good. It is broken off about 3 3/4" deep into the crank.

Well that is a big problem. You're gonna have to drill it out. Very carefully.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

I don't think I'd attempt to drill it, unless it was removed and on a bench. That's the safest way. You might get lucky with a left twist drill bit or an easy out, but it's still a dangerous thing to do.

Dark Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Well, I just talked to a local auto repair guy here. And he said that since it is that deep in there that it would be very difficult to put an easy-out on it. Because you can't get one much longer than about 3 to 4 inches long. He suggested getting the car to an Automotive machine shop to see if they could do anything with it.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Ouch! If you try to do it yourself, use a short piece of pipe as a sleeve to both center the drill bit and protect the threads in the crank. Left hand bits and/or a long easy out are a must. Be very careful not to break the bit or easy out off!

Dark Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

You know what Jeff? That's a very good idea, using a short piece of pipe to keep the bit straight. But here's the thing. It was an ARP bolt that broke. Do you think a bit would still drill into that type of material?

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

get a metal drill bit and put a little bit of oil in a squirt bottle, if you have a variable speed drill set it to the drill setting, don't go full trigger, quarter to half at most, as you drill apply light to medium pressure and squirt some oil onto the cutting faces of the bit as it drills. This is best performed with two people and in your situation i wouldnt attempt it alone.
    2002 Trans Am WS.6 A-4:
    Volant CAI, BBK LTs, BBK ORY, SLP LM2, FROST Tune, A/C Heat Delete, AIR Delete

Was the crank bolt a lil hard to tread in ?
    If it wasnt it should turn right back out use a small pick an start working it counter clockwise to turn it back out

I am speaking from experience it has worked !
    2002 tahoe 5.3L CAI, tr224 112lsa cam, ls6 springs, 10.4mm plug wires, monster trans stall converter 2,300-2,500 rpm, cat delete, flowmaster exhaust, custom tune by wayne hartwig

When I did it since I had a steel crank we welded a bolt onto it CAREFULLY and backed out the bolt. Put a nut over the bolt to avoid splatter into the crank

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Dark Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

No. The bolt was very difficult going in. I had read a bunch of threads about installing the SLP Underdrive Pully. And almost everone said that you didn't need that tool that SLP says you need for the install. But the mechanic that I spoke of earlier in my thread said that he never puts on a balancer with out that tool. He said when using that toll, the pully goes right on.

Quote Originally Posted by cowstandmoto View Post
    No. The bolt was very difficult going in. I had read a bunch of threads about installing the SLP Underdrive Pully. And almost everone said that you didn't need that tool that SLP says you need for the install. But the mechanic that I spoke of earlier in my thread said that he never puts on a balancer with out that tool. He said when using that toll, the pully goes right on.
    You have a bad situation on ur hands now .

Is the balancer all the way pressed on?
    If it is then just drive it it won't come off
    I have seen this happen before

Dark Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Well, no. It isn't. It lacks about 3/8" of an inch being where it needs to be.

Is there any threads left ?

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I have just broken off my crank bolt while trying to put on my balancer!! Do you guys have any suggestions?
    How did you break a crank bolt ? I thought they were grade 8. If you have the means I would tow it to a machine shop and let they take care of the problem. Remember, if you mess up the crank then you have to drop the engine and depending on your mileage you may want to rebuild it while you are in there. It may be a good thing if you have the time and money but your car will be off the road for a month. I hope they can get it out for you. If they do please buy the best crank bolt ( ARP ) you can buy and use anti-seeze on it. Good luck.

- - - Updated - - -

How did you break a crank bolt ? I thought they were grade 8. If you have the means I would tow it to a machine shop and let they take care of the problem. Remember, if you mess up the crank then you have to drop the engine and depending on your mileage you may want to rebuild it while you are in there. It may be a good thing if you have the time and money but your car will be off the road for a month. I hope they can get it out for you. If they do please buy the best crank bolt ( ARP ) you can buy and use anti-seeze on it. Good luck.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

+1 on the ARP hardware, have you tried any home remedies yet or have you decided to pass it off to a shop?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Time to pull the crank.....:/

Prolly cheaper to just replace the crank than have it worked on @ this point..

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Just as a future heads up,, next time try running the bolt in by hand first.

That's a hardened bolt no matter whom makes it, and only serves to keep the balancer on,,

the balancer does NOT ride on the bolt.

No need for above stock replacement (insult to injury stuff,,sorry)..

If it does'nt go in most of the way by hand,,,, Houston we have a problem..

Check your threads,,, and try again.. good luck.

Dark Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Hey Guys. Thanks for the interest in my problem. I'm going to try what Jeff suggested. I am going to try to drill it out. Jeff suggested using some small, short pieces of pipe that would fit in the hole on the end of the crank. Using the pipe as a guide, the drill bit will stay centered on the broken piece of bolt. And that would also keep me from damaging the threads. I'm not going to be able to try it until this weekend.

Oh. It was an ARP bolt!!

Thread Information