Stockitie Stock Stock 95camaroZNC's Avatar

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Hypertech programer and speed limiters?

I have a 94 Camaro Z-28 (Auto) and was wondering if i could knock the limiter down to lets say.... 65? The car came with a Hypertech programmer.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Heavy foot?

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

not sure what programmers do what but i do know in LS1 edit you can do that.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

if you're concern is something like "i'm letting my kid take the car out" or something like that you can set a rev limiter to 3k rpm...

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Yeah, but what speed would that limit to? 100? I know there not as much grunt at 3k, but it can still get up to a good speed at that rpm.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Not sure about for an lt1 but the hypertech for my friends ls1 could set a speed and rev limiter

Stockitie Stock Stock 95camaroZNC's Avatar

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    if you're concern is something like "i'm letting my kid take the car out" or something like that you can set a rev limiter to 3k rpm...
    More like i went with him to get the car, told him he needed to not act like a stupid fuck driving it, then he gets pulled twice in one day, one time for passing someone on a double yellow and speeding. So, i figure i knock it down to a 3k rev limited and 55 mph? I was considering 45 because he lives out in the boonies and there isnt a speed limit higher then that. Of course do this while hes asleep so when he goes to drive it hell be convinces the cars messed up, locking the programmer up of course so he cant change it back.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by 95camaroZNC View Post
    More like i went with him to get the car, told him he needed to not act like a stupid fuck driving it, then he gets pulled twice in one day, one time for passing someone on a double yellow and speeding. So, i figure i knock it down to a 3k rev limited and 55 mph? I was considering 45 because he lives out in the boonies and there isnt a speed limit higher then that. Of course do this while hes asleep so when he goes to drive it hell be convinces the cars messed up, locking the programmer up of course so he cant change it back.

If that was my kid, I think I would be driving the car for about a month while he walks or rides his bicycle.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Sounds like you should have made him get a 1985 4cylinder Camaro instead. I'd cap the limiter at 2k for a while and @50 mph. That'll learn him for a while.

Victory Red
    2000 SS

I have a 97 with an LT1 and the Hypertech Programmer III. It will let you lower / raise the RPM allowance but I believe the range is 5500 to 6400. I do not think the hypertech will let you take it down to 3000 rpm. Also there is a setting for "tire rating" which bumps up the top end limiter according to the tire allowance but the lowest setting is 125mph. I dont believe Hypertech will accomplish the speed limiting you need. I'll check the book tonight and get back to you.
    Last edited by danjo11; 06-02-2011 at 09:09 AM. Reason: info

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I tell you what at work they have these fire truck tankers and they limit these suckers to 55 MPH. I'm supposed to respond emergency but up 55 MPH. They say is because safety aand carring 3500 gallons of water in that tank. We do have alot of younger drivers in ou department that just want to go flight in these tankers and get into accidents. I only turn on the siren when im close to the intersections and i pull to the right lane and let people pass me while cruisng. I feel embarass but nothign i can do about it.

It is not fun AT ALL. I'm sure your kid get the point about keep the speed down on the TA and probably will not even want to drive it.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    Sounds like you should have made him get a 1985 4cylinder Camaro instead.
    I totally agree, the Camaro's (98-02) are too much vehicle for a teenager, with no real driving experience or maturity.

Heck just read some of the posts on the LS1 forums on adults that drive these vehicles, it's amazing how immature they are.

JMHO

SteveC

Victory Red
    2000 SS

update: The Hypertech will only take RPM's down to 5500 and will not govern top speed.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

dang....youre only 24 and you got a kid thats old enough to drive? ...getting laid at 8yrs old FTW!

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by jiveass View Post
    dang....youre only 24 and you got a kid thats old enough to drive? ...getting laid at 8yrs old FTW!

White
    1999 Trans Am

Just pull every other plug wire off. That will learn the whipper snapper lol. Just went through that with my 19 year old. He got daddy's 2000 Impala and daddy got the T/A!

Thread Information