black
    98 zed soft top

hypertech pp3 vs. 3.73 gears ????

Hello, I'm a nubie on here and had some questions. I'm looking into my next mod and narrowed it down to a pp3 or 3.73 gears. I'm going for seat of pants feel and dont have enough funds for both. My car is 98' Z/28 vert. a4 my mods are: slp loudmouth,k&n fipk,all the free mods,18in ruff racing staggered fit wheels.It's not my daily driver only has 70,000kms. PP3 is around $470ish and gears are 250 plus install kit plus i have a friend who is a cert. mechanic who can install them for me. Prices are higher cause I'm from canada eh!

thanx

Medium Quasar Blue
    1995 Camaro Z28

Gears!

Red
    1998 Z28

Heard the hypertech plays with timing, and can actually do more bad than good. Gears are where its at. Then tune it. The speedo will be off until then.
    1998 Z28: Bolt-ons, Stage ? 4L60E. 250rwhp@6500Ft (R.I.P 5/1/2013)

1998 Mystic Teal Trans Am: Bone stock. (In process)

blue
    2001 silverado

Quote Originally Posted by JacobLS1 View Post
    Heard the hypertech plays with timing, and can actually do more bad than good. Gears are where its at. Then tune it. The speedo will be off until then.
    They all do that. Hand helds and timing. But from all the tunes i have pulled they just do like a +4 across the board. Just enough you feel it and say wow this was money well spent!! So timing is safe for handhelds unless you only run 87...

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Gears. However, if you abuse the rear don't plan on it lasting too long. Best bet is to upgrade to an aftermarket rear and gears all in one shot. Although pricey, blowing up your stock rear once or twice will equal the cost of good replacement rear once you factor everything in.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

my vote is for neither.......both are what I would consider bad mods. Hpp3 leaves a lot to be desired on the tuning end when you can get a mail order tune from frost for $150. Shipping might be an obstacle but would probably still be cheaper than the hpp3 and you'd get a much better tune. Gears in the 10 bolt is almost exactly the same thing as flushing a few hundred dollars down the toilet. The 10 bolt won't last and eventually is going to puke those gears out.

I would do a set of headers.

'98,'00-B 93,03,11,14-V

I did 3.73 gears with girdle. I haven't broke my stock gears yet. A lot of guys go to 4.11's but, I knew I was going to SC the car eventually so 3.73 were recommended. I picked up about .2 in the quarter and mid-range jump improved some. I'd do it again for th $325 it cost me back then. Probably closer to $600 now though for parts, install and set-up. I also bought the HPP3 and only used it for winter summer gas adjustments, gear/tire ratio adjustment and taking out speed limitter. I don't use that anymore since the SC went in and it was tuned with HPTuner.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Gears. However, if you abuse the rear don't plan on it lasting too long. Best bet is to upgrade to an aftermarket rear and gears all in one shot. Although pricey, blowing up your stock rear once or twice will equal the cost of good replacement rear once you factor everything in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mecinoid View Post
    I did 3.73 gears with girdle. I haven't broke my stock gears yet.
    I have 3.73:1 rearend gears that have been croyd, having the bearing caps studded (vise bolted), with a t/a girdle. I too have had no problems with the rear (I also have a 3k stall ).

SteveC

Thread Information